+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, solar panels on school roofs... in General; Only implement solar panels once you have done _everything_ else possible to reduce energy use. They are not a cheap ...
    Thank Post
    Only implement solar panels once you have done _everything_ else possible to reduce energy use.

They are not a cheap or quick fix they are a good very long term way of reducing costs (i.e 10-15 years or so to pay back and a further 10-20 years of effective profit afterwards).

Butuz

Thank Post
    The trouble is that most of the grants/funding for these things have all but stopped right across the EU.
    Germany especially had a huge boom Market for them and the EU was a goldmine to be looted.

Now the recession has hit everyone hard Germany in particular has a surplus production capacity that they are keen to keep running there is also the threat of cheaper Chinese cells.
    I read somewhere that they have got the costs down to around $5 per watt so I'm guessing you would need to invest around £125 per PC on Solar Panels to offset the running costs?

Ok these figures are numbers on a post it note but how long really does it take to get your investment back?

With a heavy EU subsidy not long but without it, years I expect.

Sounds like a job for an accountant and a serious spreadsheet

Thank Post
    I know Network and Cabling Solutions in Kent sell it - may be worth speaking to them or looking at their website networkandcabling.co.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Only implement solar panels once you have done _everything_ else possible to reduce energy use.

They are not a cheap or quick fix they are a good very long term way of reducing costs (i.e 10-15 years or so to pay back and a further 10-20 years of effective profit afterwards).

Butuz
    Is right. My old man has had some installed on his offices roof. Nice bit of wedge every year though after they've been paid off.

Thank Post
    Yep and if you've got an absoloute south facing roof for example then combined with the new FITS incentives you could get payback in under 10 years if you get a good deal on the installation etc (or even better if you install it yourself and get it checked and signed off by a solar company/engineer).

It really does make sense if you are not planning to move. Put it this way if I had a south facing roof I would 100% have 4kw worth of pannels on there and the sooner you do it the more you'll earn over it's lifetime.

Unfortunatly I dont have a south facing roof and its a listed building, so a complete no go for renewables

Butuz
    Last edited by Butuz; 23rd June 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    one of our main buildings has full solar cover. Not entirely sure much about it, just found out about it when I installed anew firewall it was unable to talk to the outside world and had to unblock random ports for it.

on another note, someone i know here kitted their roof out with solar, and now get a cheque every month from the electric company rather than a bill. Cost about 10kAUD to install, which was after a .gov rebate, so will still be a while before their paid off.

Thank Post
    As we've moved slightly off topic and gone to residential install, i would heartily recommend solar thermal. Especially if you're a bit handy.
    I installed my own panels two years ago and they have perfromed marvelously. For example this year i've not used the boiler (or the washing machine element) since 30th March.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately if your Headteacher is agin the idea then you won't get far...

I have been suggesting improvements such as thermostats on all radiators (we have none) or solar panels on the main roofs here (all south facing with no tree in the way) and all our Head says is "Is it worth it?"

I normally reply that as a tax payer I think it is definitely worth it...

[edit]...and considering how many days school is closed we would be adding a substantial amount of power to the grid... [/edit]

Thank Post
    I guess if your head is incapable of thinking long term then you won't get anywhere with renewables as financially it is all long term, nothing short term.

The only short term improvements would come from enhanced green image / eco schools etc.

Butuz

Thank Post
    The only short term improvements would come from enhanced green image / eco schools etc.
    ...but the long term savings might help to reduce the pension shortfall for the public sector...perhaps that should be my tack next time I mention it to the teachers/head

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12