+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, applications forms in General; Hey everyone, I have severe trouble with application forms for jobs. My CV works perfectly because it highlights me quickly ...

Thank Post

applications forms

Hey everyone,

I have severe trouble with application forms for jobs. My CV works perfectly because it highlights me quickly and strongly, but I can't seem to translate that to waffling paragraphs under the heading "What can you bring to the table / why do you want this role" etc on the Application forms and it's meaning I'm struggling to advance upwards.

I could put it across perfectly in a face to face situation but when it comes to dragging it out I just struggle to make it snappy and effective.

The rest of the form is fine, but that last bit of paper where you need to sell your self I can't seem to nail, usually it would be a telephone conversation and I'd talk to talk.

[end of sort of rant]

Thank Post
    I m the same! trying to do one at the moment

Thank Post
    Can't you just put your CV into that gap?

I've seen many, many serious applications for both non-teaching and teaching posts where applicants have left that part blank.

I also tend to waffle hence why I send it out to several trusted friends and colleagues for critical feedback.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Application forms are frequently used to ensure that all applicants are treated equally and fairly, as well as enabling the employer to ensure that all relevant information is sent in.

It also fits into Safer Recruiting as well. It is not done lightly ...

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    If you can't write a decent cover letter into your APP why bother? Need to put the effort in to get results.

Why are you applying for the job, why do you want it and what can you offer?

I ve been through so many myself and it is a pain in the bum. Just be honest and don't waffle. At the end of the day your app has to be the best! Lots of people want the job so make sure it stands out.

Thank Post
    A piece of advice from the other side of the table. Don't ever leave it blank. I reject any that are blank on the basis that I receive so many, I have to have some way to measure what sort of person you are and what distinguishes you from the other candidates.

What to put in? Usually the form is asking for you to expand on what you have included in your application. Tell them what you have done that expands on what your experience is, things you have done that doesn't get covered in the application form. Don't just post your cv into it. Write out what you want to say and trim it down if necessary so that it's no more than 2 sides.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

PS send me a pm if you want someone to look it over and give you some pointers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,601 Posts
    Most application forms for schools will be 90% facts and a paragraph or covering letter asking what you can bring to the role. You wouldn't send your cv off without that covering letter saying how wonderfully you'd fit the job... you've just got to put that bit in the box (or divide it between three boxes)

Thank Post
    When filling in this part of the application I always go through the person specification detailing how I meet each aspect.
    It also aids the person reading the application form to fill in any blanks.

Thank Post
    Your responses on the application form & any covering documentation are your first & perhaps only means of making sure you progress to the next stage of the recruitment process, usually an interview.

You have to adapt your responses to demonstrate you have what it takes to do the job, including attitude. You have to 'sell' yourself to the person reading the form & make sure yours goes on the heap as candidate for interview & not the reject heap. Leaving sections blank is never a good idea, nor is any form of negativity or flippancy.

Don't be afraid to include hobbies & interests too, especially if you think they could fit into school life. In the past we have recruited technicians at my school who were 'light' on technical skills but were the right sort of person for our school, bringing with them their enthusiasm & personal attitude for the job. They passed the application form filtering process because of what they said about themselves in their application; if it had been down to their technical abilities alone I doubt they would have got through.

On at least two occasions during interview, successful candidates failed to complete the technical assessments but were offered the jobs anyway because they were the sort of people we wanted to work at our school & we felt we could make up for their lack of technical ability with training & hands on experience.
    Last edited by broc; 25th May 2011 at 09:00 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread