+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, New Job as an IT Technician! in General; Hiya chaps, sorry to bring back an old topic Tomorrow i start my first new job as a it technician! ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: New Job as an IT Technician!

Hiya chaps, sorry to bring back an old topic

Tomorrow i start my first new job as a it technician! and im starting to feel the butterflies in my stomach! im getting quite nervous now, Do i go in confident but not cocky, shy but take everything in? or be myself? I really cant wait but i dunno wot to expect!

Thank Post

It depends on what "yourself" is. If you're a ravenous bug-blatter beast of Traal I would carry loads of appetite supressants.
    Try and get a map of the school (especially if it's a big rambling one) with all the rooms marked. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You're new, and you can't be expected to know where every switch cabinet is (mark it on the map).
    Don't worry too much. They obviously saw something in the interview which made them feel they could work with you. Be careful what you volunteer for/happily undertake, if it seems to be outside the realms of IT; check with your line manager, "Is this the sort of thing we normally do?"
    I always have trouble remembering people's names, that's why my girls are called Daughter 1 and Daughter 2. In the first few weeks you can get round this by being honest and saying, "sorry, but could you remind me who you are again?" Of course, if the bathroom mirror doesn't reply you're in big trouble.
    If you weren't nervous then I would be thinking that you're too cocky, too sure of yourself to learn anything.
    Good luck and don't worry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

As Beeswax has said, a Map is a wonderful aid when starting ...

Try and make several copies of it too.
    Take the first one and make a key to what hardware is in what rooms, another for what software is installed, another for who ususally teaches in certain rooms or at the bare minimum what subjects are taught.

If you can get a complete set of pictures of all the staff that s a good idea too. Put next to their name what subjects they teach and where.

Good luck with it all.

Thank Post

Well done!

I fell really lucky with no experience, went to just one interview and got a phone call 20 1 hour later that i got the job.

been an IT technician for 3 years this september, im planning on moving to the Leeds area by the end of this year to live with my girlfriend.

My advice, dont stop learning new technology, get as much experience as you can and in 3 years time move on.

Good luck

Thank Post

We use liberium and after a local 3 month trial we rolled it out to all the staff. For a few weeks we lost friends by insisting that staff use it to log jobs but after the dinosaurs became extinct most staff use it and think its great. However we still log some jobs ourselves as it is an excellent aid memoir and some isolated offices if the computer has failed cant get off their seat to find a working one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Liberium is very good but having used it for about 3 years I've moved my current school over to GLPI which is a great if you want to allow teachers to log problems from home.

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley
    Hiya chaps, sorry to bring back an old topic

Tomorrow i start my first new job as a it technician! and im starting to feel the butterflies in my stomach! im getting quite nervous now, Do i go in confident but not cocky, shy but take everything in? or be myself? I really cant wait but i dunno wot to expect!
    From my experience of a 4 week start on you ...

Be confident. They can smell fear, and that's not just the kids.
    Be yourself. Yes: who else was at the interview?
    Take everything in. Of course: some days I've thought my brain was going to explode.
    What to expect? The unexpected.

Good luck, and have fun. Its a great job, and beats actually working for a living.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Liberium is very good but having used it for about 3 years I've moved my current school over to GLPI which is a great if you want to allow teachers to log problems from home.

Wes
    From home?! I get the feeling that if we allowed them to do that here, they literally would log problems about their home PC's

What advantages does it have over Liberum apart from that? I did have a look at the website but it seems to be described more of an inventory tool there

Thank Post

stick with I.T googlemad

Took me ages to find an employer after working with Impero, a lot of jobs these days are about getting your foot in the door (especially in IT) once you've done that the job seems to mould nicely around your strengths. Keep working hard and learning as much as you can, something will suddenly fall in your lap and u'll be raring to go.

Keeping motivated always helps with the confidence in interviews (believe in yourself, your knowledge and skills)

Thank Post

@ wesleyw

What's stopping you from letting staff log problems from home with liberum?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123