+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Last Day as Network Manager in General; Today is my last day at my current school, next week i start work at ramesys. Been working in schools ...

Thank Post

Last Day as Network Manager

Today is my last day at my current school,
    next week i start work at ramesys.

Been working in schools for 5 years now, started as a technician and worked my way up.
    The main reason ive decided to move on is that my current school is being taken over by bsf in the very near future (they were supposed to start building last summer but has been delayed till this summer)
    im sick of waiting around for the ICT provider to come along and take over, no one had any idea of what or when something is gonna happen and over the past year the school has taken a back seat when it comes to IT they're just quite happy to wait around until BSF comes in and applies there magic.

Edugeek has been an amazing resource while i've been working in school, and i will keep an eye on the site and hope that it will be a useful resource in my new job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Last Day as Network Manager

Good luck to you and I am looking forward to some interesting conversations with you in the next 6 months.

Thank Post

Its a sad sad scenario but one I am afraid alot of us may end up going through. Good luck in your new job and thank you for contributing to Edugeek.

Thank Post

Sorry you are going but maybe Ramesys will be a good move for you (no cold calls please!! )

I am concerned for the BSF takeover scenario also, particularly as news of what, when and how is hard to come by despite extensive trawling through emailing P4S direct to talking with the LA to meetings with the Head. I've generally found that the school will generally follow what the LA directs with regards to IT unless you are able to convince them otherwise. The LA, despite our keeness to work with them (thats for you grumbledook ) "appear" to be playing a cloak and dagger game of drip feeding information as and when they see fit.

We have a meeting with them next week which is the first since they casually revealed that in due course and in conjunction with BSF, we would be taken over by a managed service. There were only 5 NMs at this meeting as it was called at short notice. The sum total of the information was the aforementioned and a tip for us to do a google search for Partnerships for Schools. To me this is irresponsible and is demeaning to the role of NM in that it appears they didn't want (or couldn't) to elaborate on what it meant for fear of outcry. In my experience this method of diesseminating important information that affects the school, your position and the knock on effect to family and home does not go down to well.

Following my reasearch we are now aware that our positions will be protected under TUPE but my concern from here is how many of the "better quality" NMs are likely to stay in position in a role that is expected to be no more than a helpdesk role. No NM worth their salt would want to stay in this type of role and I guess this is where the LA will be able to reduce costs in the long term through having to observe the TUPE regulations. I've mentioned this before as we have been down this route before, I hope that in choosing the managed service provider, they do so very very carefully and ensure that the service being provided is no less in terms of quality and timeliness than is currently being given to our schools.

I'm rambling again so I'd better go do some work before I am dismissed for inappropriate use of works time!!!

5. Thanks to ctbjs from:

Grommit (22nd May 2008)

Thank Post

alot of it depends on who you get as your managed service provider, the situation here is that the original company has pulled out and now another company has taken over.

i promise no cold call's,
    the job is an intergration engineer, so basially going out and setting up servers/switches etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Good Luck

Thank Post
    Yeah good luck :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtechsystems View Post
    Yeah good luck :-)
    Necro Alert!

Please be careful with the "Similar threads" as it doesn't seem to limit it to recent topics. Check the date of this thread

Thank Post
    I presume mrtechsystems has fallen victim to the "similar threads" thingy-me-bob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread