+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Public Transport! in General; Hi, After a couple of accidents with my car, one involving me backing into another car and then someone hitting ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

Public Transport!

Hi,

After a couple of accidents with my car, one involving me backing into another car and then someone hitting my car in the carpark at work (teacher! ) i am now left without one while its in for repair.

I decided to have a look at the bus timetable to see what that was like to get me to a few places and maybe to work. I last used a bus 4 years ago, i find that 50% of the routes near many house have been cut. I may as well walk it. The service was rubbish before god knows what it will be like now.

Not only that its expensive!

And the government encourage us to leave the car at home....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hi,

After a couple of accidents with my car, one involving me backing into another car and then someone hitting my car in the carpark at work (teacher! ) i am now left without one while its in for repair.

I decided to have a look at the bus timetable to see what that was like to get me to a few places and maybe to work. I last used a bus 4 years ago, i find that 50% of the routes near many house have been cut. I may as well walk it. The service was rubbish before god knows what it will be like now.

Not only that its expensive!

And the government encourage us to leave the car at home....
    Taxi ?

There are some taxi companies out there that are reasonable on price and would be faster then bus but obviously this depends on the distance you are travelling via taxi as this can soon be expensive as well.

Car pooling or lift from friends / family ? Assuming they are not working or w/e, bit of fuel money ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yep. at my last place (before i passed my test) i had to catch two separate buses and also walk about a mile and half between the buses (each way).
    if i had to bus it to my current place id have no hope. buses go to the centre of derby from me but thats about it, i'd then be struggling to get here without another epic walk!
    and totally agree on the prices. 2.50 to go about 4 stops here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    The prices are ridiculous, but a pass saves you a lot of money, even if you just buy them weekly until you have a car again.

If I had to pay my way to work and back on public transport, it'd cost me 5 a day (bus & metro day saver), but a pass costs 50 a month... got to be cheaper than petrol, tax, MOT & insurance!

But the service is sh*t and if you want to be anywhere in a hurry, you can forget it. Yesterday my bus went the wrong way and I had to get off and help him turn it around. Last thing you want when you're already running late!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a 12 minute journey by car [on a good day]

By bus it is an hour and a half [if make the connection in town!] and it is expensive [nothing new there, covered in earlier posts]

Thank Post
    I may as well walk it.
    If it's within walking distance why don't you? And if it's within walking distance, it must be easily do-able on a push bike (worth a look at the cycle to work scheme). I'd love to live close enough to be able to leave the car/motorbike at home <envy!>.

Thank Post
    It very much depends where you are. I've found the bus less hassle and cheaper than finding somewhere to park, but I work in a town centre and there's a bus stop almost outside my front door. And if you work for a big organisation which has done some paperwork, you can get a big discount of First bus tickets in some areas.

Thank Post
    Get a bike (just not a supermarket cheapie!). You will then be able to enjoy riding past the queues of cars in the morning, through the already full carpark to lock it up right by the door. Repeat at 5.

rad
    Thank Post
    My journey according to TFL will take 3 bus' and over an hour in travel time (if they are on time), takes me 10 minutes by car.
    Where i used to live was 25 min by car, 45 by bike and about and hour 30 by public transport.

so why don't I use the bus, I wonder!

Thank Post
    40 minutes by car for me but three hours if I use public transport. It starts with a two mile walk to the station, two trains, a bus then a 1/4 mile walk to school.

Thank Post
    Hi,

If the other driver has taken liability you should be given a courtesy car and it should be equivalent to the car being repaired.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The prices are ridiculous, but a pass saves you a lot of money, even if you just buy them weekly until you have a car again.
    That is something i looked into but in my area they are only good value if you have more than 12 trips a week. Something i wont be doing.

If it's within walking distance why don't you? And if it's within walking distance, it must be easily do-able on a push bike (worth a look at the cycle to work scheme). I'd love to live close enough to be able to leave the car/motorbike at home
    Its about 4 miles, i wouldnt like to walk it in the rain

If the other driver has taken liability you should be given a courtesy car and it should be equivalent to the car being repaired.
    Its a friend of mine who is skint so i didnt want to really.

Today i tapped my mum up for a lift

Thank Post
    Its about 4 miles, i wouldnt like to walk it in the rain
    car when its wet bike when dry?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=sted;675852][QUOTE=FN-GM;675847]Its about 4 miles, i wouldnt like to walk it in the rain

car when its wet bike when dry?
    Well thats the point my car is in the garage, i do try to walk when it is dry though.

Thank Post
    Its a friend of mine who is skint so i didnt want to really.

Today i tapped my mum up for a lift
    Unless he's paying for the repairs out of his own pocket it won't make any difference, his insurers should pick up the cost.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast