+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Public Transport! in General; Unless he's paying for the repairs out of his own pocket it won't make any difference, his insurers should pick ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless he's paying for the repairs out of his own pocket it won't make any difference, his insurers should pick up the cost.
    She is paying out of her own pocket. As its cheaper than paying the excess

Thank Post
    When my car was broken I ended up using a train in the morning and cycling the 10 miles home. I start at 8 and finish at 4, The train in the morning was fine as it got me to the town I work in by half 7 and with a 2 mile cycle to work in plenty of time, but the only train in the evening didn't leave till gone 7pm. This is why public transport doesn't work. I had contemplated cycling to work too but don't fancy turning up all hot and sweaty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Public transport would work if it WAS public and not private...
    There are many places in the world where public transport is subsidised by the government and does not make a profit so it is cheaper and also reliable. Buses/trams/trains etc all have timetables which interlink.
    But of course our public transport was sold off..(but that's another discussion

Thank Post
    what are these buses you speak of??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Buses/trams/trains etc all have timetables which interlink.
    This a big part of the problem. I needed to get from Gloucestershire to Devon. From my local station it would have taken well over 5 hours, however there's another station 7 miles away that's on a different line which would have reduced the journey time by two hours. Only problem being is the only bus that would have got me there in time arrived two hours too early.

One thing that people often don't remember is Dr Beeching was a big advocate a better integrated transport system and in many cases he recommended the close of rail services part of his reasoning is buses could deliver the same level of service for less and with more flexibility.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 18th May 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    I live in a village North West of Preston. I work in Chorley. To use a bus for me is totally unrealistic. The cost is exceptional, the travel time would be ridiculous and the only one bus per two hours through the village is simply pathetic.

But I WOULD use it if the facility was realistic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pshuttle View Post
    But I WOULD use it if the facility was realistic.
    I think this would be the case with alot of people, I've yet to come across anyone who actually is served adequately by public transport outside of London.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    And the government encourage us to leave the car at home....
    They say they want you to leave the car at home when they are raising "green taxes" but the simple fact is that motorists are a cash cow so they can't afford people to do so. As others have said, public transport outside of London is a joke. Travel by car can be safer, more convenient, cheaper, cleaner, quicker, etc.

Thank Post
    When comparing costs most people considerably underestimate the cost of using a car. The AA figure for a low cost car averaging 10,000 miles per year is around 45p per mile which makes my daily 12 mile round trip 5.40. For me there is no public transport alternative and cycling, for me, isn't a practical alternative.

Thank Post
    If I lived in London or even lived in the main town here I would do public transport. Where I am it just doesn't work. A 20-30 min journey in a car takes 45-75 minutes on trains and buses. Dependant on connecting, multiple delays the train seems to have, whether the bus driver is annoyed or not and if the rail crossing is working or not. Also the timings of both make it tricky unless I walk at at exactly the same time each day. Where I often try and finish bits of or help out it got I was getting home at stupid times. With my car or motorbike I just leave when I want and little variation on my time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Public transport would work if it WAS public and not private...
    There are many places in the world where public transport is subsidised by the government and does not make a profit so it is cheaper and also reliable. Buses/trams/trains etc all have timetables which interlink.
    I think FN-GM Can quote me on this ( will soon find out lol ) but I like how Australia has done there public transport - at least in Perth

Motorways and train lines are parallel to each other and at each train stop there are bus stops and taxi ranks and to get onto a train you have escalators to take you to the train platforms or from the train platforms to where all the bus stops / taxi ranks etc are.

Even have coin type machines to dispense train tickets and the buses have a device on them that punches a hole through your ticket which you can use so many times depending on which ticket was purchased.

Thank Post
    When my car blew the ECU and was out of action for 3 weeks...I bought another car. *cough*

(In my defence, it was a 200 runabout that also shared 90% parts commonality with the main car, so I'm going to save money in the long run in spares!)

Thank Post
    Thought provoking viewing if you're considering using the bus!

YouTube - San Antonio VIA bus crash-cam videos

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think public transport is almost universally rubbish, I am certain that the government have actually lowered the speed limit on some of the arterial roads just to make the public transport remotely more compeditive even at the height of rush hour (more like 6-7 hours through the day).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    When comparing costs most people considerably underestimate the cost of using a car. The AA figure for a low cost car averaging 10,000 miles per year is around 45p per mile which makes my daily 12 mile round trip 5.40. For me there is no public transport alternative and cycling, for me, isn't a practical alternative.
    lmao Well I have an old "sports" car and it doesn't even cost half of that to run each year. I've just forked out the most money I have ever spent on repairs in a single year, the princely sum of 350 including service and MOT (I've had the car for 5 years now). Maybe that figure is fair if you are stupid enough to think buying a brand new "low cost car" is economical but if you buy a car which has already depreciated that figure doesn't even come close.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12