+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, PRINCE2 Training in General; Hello guys I was starting to think about some further study to support some kind of career development/change and was ...
    JPS
    Thank Post

PRINCE2 Training

Hello guys

I was starting to think about some further study to support some kind of career development/change and was wondering whether anyone out there has experience of PRINCE2, the project management qualification? I have googled it and there are plenty of training providers, prices varying quite a bit. If there is anyone who has studied for this, how did you go about doing it? Can it be self taught or does that make it somewhat harder?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I m Prince2 Practitioner its really interesting use the PRINCE2 Training, PRINCE2 Courses, ITIL Training and MSP Training You really need to go on a course for it as its quite intensive

3. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

JPS (16th May 2011)

JPS
    Thank Post
    Thanks @irsprint84. If I did just PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner and left it at that, would I still be rather lacking in knowledge, ie would I still be at the bottom of the pile for possible employment and therefore really need to do ITIL and MSP etc as well?

Thank Post
    Do prince2 foundation and practitioner (cant do foundation without pract, plus I found foundation hard!) and ITIL foundation for middle management ITIL expert and MSP is for upper management i.e. director

6. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

JPS (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    I've also done the Prince2 Practitioner course and passed the exam. 5 day course. Days 1-3 are the Prince2 Foundation including the exam. Day 4 is split between further tuition and then revision. Day 5 is the Practitioner exam. Well worth doing in my opinion. It's a great 'quick win' certification that looks great on a CV. I did my training with QA who offer 50% educational discount.

8. 2 Thanks to gybe78:

irsprint84 (16th May 2011), JPS (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Agreed prince2 is awesome on the CV

JPS
    Thank Post
    Just seen the SMT member responsible for CPD and she seemed pretty positive for funding it and giving the time off needed. Just have to fill in the forms and get the Head to authorise. Hopefully get it sorted for later this year.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did my PRINCE2 with QA as well. Also remember that PRINCE2 is a starting point and that most employers want examples of how you have tailored it to suit any projects you have run. Most people can do it without many staff in teh schools noticing it as PM should not be big things anyway ... it should almost be run of the mill activities and process. If you can generate Standard Operating Procedures in the school for any projects you are involved in ti helps too ... as most large employees will either have these or be happy to chat with someone who can help develop them.

Once you have things like a Project Board in place then things like a CAB for IT activities (steady state activities such as patch management) also get a lot easier too.

All schools have experience of some form of project management. For some it is very informal and down to things like transition to / from other schools, all the way up to Exams, OFSTED, interviewing and appointing a new Head, so any school which says project management is not important really doesn't understand management at all!

12. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

JPS (17th May 2011)

Thank Post

Mixture of Self Study and Classroom Training

It is possible to self-study or the Foundation Course but I would recommend a classroom course for the Practitioner Course.

Don't use the official manual for Foundation course unless you have already a good background in Project Management. Try to find a book that is focused on the Foundation syllabus and that is easy to read.

Thank Post
    Prob doesnt add to cost I'd do both foundationa nd practitioner as a course mine was about £500 both together

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PRINCE2Coach View Post
    It is possible to self-study or the Foundation Course but I would recommend a classroom course for the Practitioner Course.

Don't use the official manual for Foundation course unless you have already a good background in Project Management. Try to find a book that is focused on the Foundation syllabus and that is easy to read.
    Have you any advice for studying for the foundation by yourself, books, resources or other materials? Prince 2 seems to be cropping up on more and more Personal Specs now.

Thank Post
    Do both here:

PRINCE2 Training - PRINCE2 Courses - PRINCE2 Course

Prince2 is great but its getting everyone in the structure to understand it

Thank Post
    Hi JPS, well based on your question, you just need a certification that proves you that you undergo training. It will take you only 9.5 hours for the training in PRINCE2 Certification.

Good Luck with your career!

Thank Post
    I agree with some of the comments here. I've been in Project Management for 5 years, and I still did my PRINCE2 training and certification. PRINCE2 sort of works as a proof that yes, you are qualified in Project Management. I got certified an year ago, coz I needed a career change and when I started looking. I realised then, certs are important!!

Thank Post
    I think this website here might be useful: what is PRINCE2?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast