+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Looking for a new TV in General; Originally Posted by plexer I assume that people saying led are only referring to led backlit tv's? Ben Yeap, unless ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I assume that people saying led are only referring to led backlit tv's?

Ben
    Yeap, unless they have a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars to look at a 'small' entry level stadium display LED should use less power be more robust and last a little longer but thanks to RoHS the gear has a very firm lifespan anyway making the differnence in expected lifetimes between CFL backlit LCD and LED backlit LCD much less than it probably would otherwise be.

Thank Post
    LG Tv's are excellent but IF I could afford it I'd go down the Panasonic Vierra or Pioneer road - my old Panasonic CRT Quintrix has lasted nearly 9 years and still going strong - in fact I gave it too my brother in law and he can play blu-ray DVD's on it even though it's a CRT it's got a flat screen at 1000 MHz:P - Good old Panny's!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    LG Tv's are excellent but IF I could afford it I'd go down the Panasonic Vierra or Pioneer road - my old Panasonic CRT Quintrix has lasted nearly 9 years and still going strong - in fact I gave it too my brother in law and he can play blu-ray DVD's on it even though it's a CRT it's got a flat screen at 1000 MHz:P - Good old Panny's!
    I have a samsung which has been rock solid but the remote control is very delayed and I don't like the remote on it so I am thinking the same here ref Panasonic / Pioneer. Never had an LG

Thank Post
    The problem with the LED TV's (especially the Samsungs) is that due to having so little depth to them the speaker quality is poor as they dont have the depth to resonate properly making the sound 'tinny' (this is on quite a few reviews if you look around online).

I was looking at Samsung but am going to get one of the new Sony Bravia ranges which were released in the last 3-4 weeks and come with a 5 year manufactuer warranty.

I went to an independant local TV store and was speaking to them about this in there (they sold all types of model TV's) and they basically said "Samsung look nice from the outside but dont have much inside" and highly recommended the Sony's & Panasonic's.

Thank Post
    I would say go Panasonic. The assistent site managers son accidently spilt water down the back of his Panasonic Plasma TV about 3 years ago, when the engineer came out to fix his tv he said this was this is the first Panasonic they had come out to as they do not generally go wrong. The main site managers Toshiba LCD TV went on the blink and when the engineer came out he asked him what brand he said is the best for reliability and he said Panasonic too.

Also Panasonic have Pioneers Kuru technology now. We have LG's at school and seem to have nice features but i do not expect them to have the reliability of the Pannys
    Last edited by Quackers; 17th May 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    The sound on my Samsung is definitely not particularly 'tinny'. I have played all sorts of sounds from orchestral to screaming and it seems fine to me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The sound on my Samsung is definitely not particularly 'tinny'. I have played all sorts of sounds from orchestral to screaming and it seems fine to me
    *shrug* the guy had no reason to lie, the Samsung i was looking at was more expensive than the Sony he recommended to me. He wasn't some Curry's bod either as he ran the local TV shop i went into so he knew his stuff.

I've had no first hand experience of it though and am passing on second hand information, you've got a Samsung and say its fine so.....

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information