+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Recommend me a 4x4 in General; Ah, that will teach me to not read all the replies properly. My first choice would be a Landy, not ...

Thank Post
    Ah, that will teach me to not read all the replies properly.

My first choice would be a Landy, not a Freelander though. An older Discovery for a bit of comfort or a 90/110 for rough and ready action. My issue with Shoguns are they are just so bloated they huge and a couple of friends that have had them have had to scrap them due to massive failure. Landys also hold their value better.

Thank Post
    Arghhh! So many mixed reviews! I really like the look of the Pinin, but the concerns I have are it's only petrol engine so going to cost a bank loan to tax and fuel, and it's also a bit smaller than an LR (it looks like) so I'm a bit worried about being able to fit all the camping gear in.

Thank Post
    A 2.0TD Vitara is a good machine - early ones should be in budget. Engine shared with the Peugeots of the time (2.0HDi), it's a tough and economical unit. If you go much bigger, thirst will be an issue, petrol or diesel. A Discovery within price range will probably have the 300TDI engine or an early TD5 - neither will give you more than 35mpg with a very light foot. Discos also rust like nothing else, the boot floor is a favourite.

A Defender is very agricultural, not great on fuel, awful to drive if you're used to cars. Tough and easy to fix. Your budget will get you an old one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mitsubishi pajero...my dad and step brother have one, both workhorses, and quite good on diesel. Full tank does 600 miles in my dads one and close to 500 in my step brothers

Thank Post
    The Rover 1.8 Petrol engine in a Freelander has a poor reputation, as was said earlier. If you want a Freelander, go diesel.

The old diesel is pretty bomb-proof, the newer TD4 is more refined (BMW unit) but more costly to maintain. There were issues with the IRD transmission unit (both petrol & diesel) to the rear wheels too. I know of one person who was sold a Freelander 1.8 only to find the IRD had been disconnected, making it FWD only..... the garage refunded her money very quickly! We had two diesel Freelanders for almost 10 years, both were very reliable & great fun to own. The only breakdown we had was due to a dead battery. Avoid LR main dealers...... very expensive. I used to do my own servicing on them.

I would take a look at the boot space first though, it is surprisingly small for the size of car.

Thank Post
    I always recommend that if anyone is gonna go off-road or thinking of buying a Land Rover then get a Defender (or 90/100 as they're also known). Why? They're a proper 4x4 with less poncey cack on them to go wrong.

If you want something a bit more civilized and in your price range Jeep Cherokee 4.0 or maybe a Shogun

Thank Post
    Another vote for the Honda CRV here. I had a petrol one that had done 180,000 miles and was still going strong when I Px'd it for a new one. I took it over all sorts of terrain, sometimes with a caravan attached. The manual diesels are the best ones.

Thank Post
    Just a few more suggestions while I'm thinking... Audi A4/A6 quattro estate? - BMW 525xi (the X denotes 4x4... they're like rocking horse sh*t though)? - there are also a plethora of odd korean things along the lines of Hyundia Santa Fe, Sssaanngggyyoong Musso, Kia UgleeStick etc.

Thank Post
    The 1.8 K Series in the Freelander was much improved on the unit fitted to many other Rovers - it had a better designed headgasket that was less prone to failure. These HGs were often retrofitted to other models. They're not as unreliable as some scare stories suggest. If you're feeling rich, you could try the V6! (don't)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The 1.8 K Series in the Freelander was much improved on the unit fitted to many other Rovers - it had a better designed headgasket that was less prone to failure. These HGs were often retrofitted to other models. They're not as unreliable as some scare stories suggest. If you're feeling rich, you could try the V6! (don't)
    Yeah, a few people I know have retrofitted things like MG ZR's with the Land Rover head gasket and they reckon that the engine is pretty much bullet-proof afterwards. My mate who's a mechanic has also said the same thing.

Thank Post
    K series engines were and still are famous for the head gaskets failing, regardless of what vehicle they are fitted to. They are just as unreliable as the scare stories suggest. I spent my fair share of time as a mechanic repairing a fair few, and the main dealer opinion is you're lucky to make it to 50k without it failing.

Thank Post
    Morning,

I used to work for a Land Rover dealer and the first bit of advice is DO NOT buy a petrol Land Rover of any description! You don't want the headaches!

Firstly, don't let starship miles put you off, so long as the vehicle is in good condition and has a good history the odds are it will be fine. Landy owners tend to love and cherish them, so will spend big money to keep them in tip top condition.

I've had a look around and found this 1998 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 300 TDI 5DR 50TH ANNIVERSARY 1 OWNER Its one of the last 300 Tdi discovery's. They're pretty good on diesel and 300Tdi parts are easy to come by and tend to be reasonably priced.

I also found this Freelander 2001 LAND ROVER Freelander 2.0 Td4 ES Station Wagon

Its got the BMW M47 Diesel engine so its reliable and will give reasonable economy. The IRD unit will not be an issue as 90% of Freelanders underwent the "Customer Reassurance Program" i.e. Land Rover recalled them and replaced the IRD and did a host of upgrades. Again, check the service history it will tell you if its been looked after or not.

If you want an help/advice on Land Rover product, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Cheers

Ross

Thank Post
    i agree with the landy people on here if you want 4x4 then its only a Land Rover dont be too scared of Range rovers the older models are not actually that big, but a defender 110 for the space or 90 for being small are cool cars easily repairable by either your self or some one near you.

A mate who is land rover made (bit of an understatment hes 20 and already owned 5 landys) keeps trying to convince me to get a discovery.

Thank Post
    The old 300tdi Discovery is a proper Land Rover & will go on forever if looked after. I had a late (2004) Discovery II TD5, in many respects it was like any traditional Land Rover... it left it's mark wherever it went.... oil leaks from the engine, gearbox, A/C leaked, coolant leaked, even air leaked from the self-levelling suspension. It must have cost LR 3000-4000 in warranty work so I got rid of it when the warranty ran out as I couldn't afford the risk it was going to keep on breaking at my expense

Thank Post
    Foresters I like. Mitsubishis I like. Fronteras? Old and obsolete now, but tough as old boots...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast