+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Primary school job in General; i love primay work its great and one of the best things to ever happen is a teacher comes in ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Primary school job

i love primay work its great and one of the best things to ever happen is a teacher comes in telling me how a computer is broke and not got no sound comming out and its all my fault. Then when i walk over one of the children say to me. Sir its ok we fixed it it was only muted then the teacher looks at me walks away and I walk to my office. Close the door and laugh.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    ...except one male teacher who 'knows' quite a bit about computers (his words) so can't quite deal with a female techie.
    We have a teacher who claims to know "quite a bit" about computers, so he will only 'disturb' me when he has a "serious problem". The other day he came to me saying that his computer was irrepairably broken, he couldn't get it to do anything, and so could he have a new one. I solved the problem by switching the computer on at the wall!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    ...except one male teacher who 'knows' quite a bit about computers (his words) so can't quite deal with a female techie.
    We have a teacher who claims to know "quite a bit" about computers, so he will only 'disturb' me when he has a "serious problem". The other day he came to me saying that his computer was irrepairably broken, he couldn't get it to do anything, and so could he have a new one. I solved the problem by switching the computer on at the wall!
    Its funny how alot of people trip up on that one . Lets be honest how many problems do we solve by.

1. Switching the thing on.
    2. Rebooting the thing.
    3. Pushing the power socket in properly.
    4. Pressing ALT F5/F8 or similar.
    5. Changing the projector to the right input mode.
    6. Taking the space of the end of the username when they claim their password isnt working.

the above makes our job sound easy.... If only

Thank Post

Hehehehe. Talking of usernames... this is an extremely regular problem for me (several support calls a day). The space (ranging from one space to about ten spaces) after the username is a very common one, but so are spaces in the middle of a username such as "02 j bauer" or the common o/0 problem, such as 'o2jbauer' or even extremely obvious typos such as '02jbuaer' get a support request occasionally.

The strange thing is though, each teacher was given a list of usernames and passwords for each of their pupils. All the usernames follow the same layout and all the users passwords are the same (as we are a primary school). I'm not sure why it's difficult to spot errors.

I wish I could emphasis enough to them that user accounts don't suddenly disappear or passwords/usernames changed automatically so therefore it's best to triple check your username and password before calling support.

Thank Post

I've been called out because a kid couldn't access their personal files. The problem was that they had signed in as a different pupil! (A problem that would be simply solved through biometrics...but will the school listen?!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What I want to know is how they end up putting a space after the username... I have never in all my 9 years of computing put a space after my username. 8O :?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

I find that we have kids who don't even know how to spell their name (which is their username). I find it extremely odd asking a 9 or 10 year old 'is that how you spell your name?'. However, that isn't the worst part. That is when they respond 'no'!!!

I agree with ChrisH about that list of 'fixes'. I would say about 80% of my callouts to class rooms are due to one of those issues, and no matter of telling them what the problem was and how to solve it themselves will ever reduce that amount.

webman - Ah, but you understand the concept of a username. That is a unique identifier and not just a weird thing containing your name. Young kids don't understand that

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    What I want to know is how they end up putting a space after the username... I have never in all my 9 years of computing put a space after my username. 8O :?
    Haha, good question. I'd take a guess and say it's just habit. You don't finish a username with a full stop, so what would be the most common thing you'd use after typing a word. A space. Unfortunately many people still unconciously live under the delusion that if you cannot see something, it's not there. As you can't generally see the space, -obviously- it's not there.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Unfortunately many people still unconciously live under the delusion that if you cannot see something, it's not there.
    That explains why, when I close my eyes, the computers still have problems!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    That explains why, when I close my eyes, the computers still have problems!
    Damn! Now that could have made our job easy

Thank Post

Woohoo! Sent the application form off today (It was one of those annoying ones where it asks for Skills, Knowledge and Experience on one page followed by the Additional Information page where I end up providing the exact same information in a different way!)

Hopefully this job is the one destined for me

Thank Post

It's more fun when teachers get the problem of the mis-spelled username, this kind of thing can't be put down to lack of computing knowledge. Just pure stupidity unless they suffer dyslexia (which is a serious and reasonable explanation).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by googlemad
    Hopefully this job is the one destined for me
    Good luck!

I'm certain that the job I have was destined to be given to me since I have no experience in the field whatsoever, and regularly bring in one of the other applicants to make up for that fact. This has given me something of a guilt complex at work.

Thank Post

Well one step closer...Got an interview next Monday

Also found out I am not replacing an ICT technician, rather the deputy headmaster has been doing the job up until now!

Thank Post

Mmm

One of my references has today mentioned that the employer has been in touch seeking a reference from them! Never had this happen before, so I assume most companies would do this after selecting someone from the interview process.

Any advantages/disadvantages to a company having my references before interview? (They're good references!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast