+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Shared storage - between schools in General; Originally Posted by dhicks I'd go with ricki's comments above and use rsync to run a nightly backup job between ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'd go with ricki's comments above and use rsync to run a nightly backup job between servers. This does sound like a good opportunuty to get proper off-site backups of data done on the cheap. You could have a storage server in each school with, say, a 10-slot disk array - five (300GB?) fast 15,000RPM SAS disks and five slower, 2/3TB disks. Use the fast disks as the live file storage area for user settings and documents, then use the larger, slower array for backups, image storage, etc.
    A primary school is extremely unlikely to need 15,000 RPM SAS discs for file storage. A cheap and cheerful 4 disc NAS using SATA drives will do the job nicely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    A primary school is extremely unlikely to need 15,000 RPM SAS discs for file storage. A cheap and cheerful 4 disc NAS using SATA drives will do the job nicely.
    I'd tend to agree with you, but in most of the other storage-related threads we've had recently people seem to be specifying faster disks. I'm assuming users My Documents and Documents And Settings folders would be redirected to that area, so it might be an idea to be on the safe side with disk I/O capability. It would also help if people did want to get a class to edit some centrally-stored video footage.

Thank Post
    We store user files (that is, their network drive maps to storage) for 2500 students and 400 staff, plus various other shared drives on an 8 bay SATA based NAS (Thecus 8800pro) using Hitachi 7K SATA2 2TB enterprise drives - it works very well, even for those numbers. Perhaps it's a very very big primary school or perhaps people are spending too much on storage which is faster than they will ever need.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12