+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What would you do with £85 Million? in General; Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx Ah, a boat. Boats are bought by people who have bought everything else and wonder what ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Ah, a boat. Boats are bought by people who have bought everything else and wonder what else they can buy. I know people with boats. They say the two happiest days in their life are the day they bought a boat, and the day they sold it.
    Are they talking "power" boats or sailing boats though? A friend had a boss with a boat, really well off due to his company & they were out on it & the conversation idly got round to the price & the boss said (slightly sadly) that even if her were to lend the boat to my mate free of charge the fuel alone would bankrupt him. That I can imagine being a real drain as they drink like fish. A nice tidy sailing boat, possibly catamaran, tiny engine just to shift in harbour would be a sheer delight. Well in my pit of ignorance.

Thank Post
    I've long thought about doing my day skipper qualifications but living so far from the coast and not having the financial wherewithall to make use of said qualifications has put me off it so far.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Are they talking "power" boats or sailing boats though? A friend had a boss with a boat, really well off due to his company & they were out on it & the conversation idly got round to the price & the boss said (slightly sadly) that even if her were to lend the boat to my mate free of charge the fuel alone would bankrupt him. That I can imagine being a real drain as they drink like fish. A nice tidy sailing boat, possibly catamaran, tiny engine just to shift in harbour would be a sheer delight. Well in my pit of ignorance.
    I can just imagine you in the harbour like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack....as you go ploughing through someone elses big yacht

Thank Post
    Another thought...go up to the person you always wanted to date,you know the sexy one that turned you down and show them this !!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there such a thing as a $1m bill? If so a hundred or so of those in my wallet would feel a bit light!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    There's a novelty item that LOOKS like a $1M bill, but the largest denomination of REAL money currently printed in the U.S. is $100. Any U.S. $1,000,000 bills you see are worth about as much as the paper they're printed on. The highest denomination that has been printed was a $100,000.00 bill. It was only printed from late 1934 to early 1935 and was only used to transfer money between government departments. It was never intended for circulation.

But the fake 1M bill would make them think twice.
    Then of course if you won the 85 Million you can just show them your Ferrari F40 and page 3 girlfriend and drive away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, a boat. Boats are bought by people who have bought everything else and wonder what else they can buy. I know people with boats. They say the two happiest days in their life are the day they bought a boat, and the day they sold it.
    Yeah, I'm talking about a narrowboat... Something to crawl around the canals in the UK on. I'd hire someone to keep it maintained.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking about a narrowboat... Something to crawl around the canals in the UK on. I'd hire someone to keep it maintained.
    Ah, totally different. I go to Brecon quite a lot and cycle along the towpaths. I've kayaked in the canals, too, it's fun mixing it with the narrowboats, though the diesel fumes tend to choke. I've never been on a narrowboat but I do like the idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, totally different. I go to Brecon quite a lot and cycle along the towpaths. I've kayaked in the canals, too, it's fun mixing it with the narrowboats, though the diesel fumes tend to choke. I've never been on a narrowboat but I do like the idea.
    They're lovely. Its like camping, but with a proper wood stove and a proper loo. Waking up at 5:30am to see the sun rise, mist hanging over the water with a lone duck swimming around. So relaxing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    think id have to get my quad bike and hilux pickup truck with all the relevant things to keep it secure along with a lovely big house first

Thank Post
    I'd buy some houses rent them out and then retire.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I'd buy some houses rent them out and then retire.
    I'd do the same as well but have to sort myself out with a nice house etc first

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I'd buy a new pair of slippers
    leaving you £84,999,999.01
    and Cyprus.
    what the entire Island? what about its current incumbants?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First thing first, put 10m in each of my kid's savings accounts/trust funds.
    Second, house for us, my parents, my inlaws and make sure my nan has enough to tide her over for her rent & food & anything she ever wants to be comfortable & treat the rest of her grandkids/great grandkids.
    Third, driving lessons and automatic car for my wife, new car for me. A runaround and something sporty for the weekends

A million for each of my closest friends - thankfully it's a close circle and we've all helped eachother out enough in the past to warrant making sure they're set up for a good few years. I'd possibly do something like give them an investment (like property) however I trust them enough to make their own choices and judgement.

I'd certainly put some towards a couple of choice charities. Mostly childcare ones - they're the important guys.

Plenty put aside in investment for ourselves, make sure we're set for life and not left wanting. But nothing extravagant.

Buy an entire new ICT system for my school and fund the building of a new server room/workshop area.
    And turn up for work the next day, and every day after until I have good reason not to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast