+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, What would you do with £85 Million? in General; Make sure that my family are all sorted, Buy a nice house by the coast, buy a nice boat, learn ...

Thank Post
    Make sure that my family are all sorted, Buy a nice house by the coast, buy a nice boat, learn to sail. Buy a flat in London for when my other half has to have her treatment each week. Do lots of diving. Emply someone to drive me to Leicester each week for the footy.

Oh yes, nealry forgot ... buy a Ferrari.

... and maybe a rebreather.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd put most of it into a charitable trust of some form, give some to my parents and brother (the prior would save it, the latter would go mad and spend it), and some of my friends.

I'd not actually want a huge amount of money myself. I'd want to have a house which I didn't have to pay mortgage on, learn to drive, and get a car (probably a smart car or maybe a fiesta). Probably spend a couple of years travelling the world, then settle down somewhere and get a job.

The rest would be invested half in high risk investments and half in a very low risk account, so I could dip into it to buy things like new computers and the like.

Not that I've thought about it at all...

Oh, and a boat. I'd want a boat.

Thank Post
    I'd use it to pay for my superinjunctions that would be racking up as I selfishly spent my millions on 'ladies of the night'! ha ha

4. 2 Thanks to KWestos:

ButterflyMoon (11th May 2011), CHR1S (10th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd put most of it into a charitable trust of some form, give some to my parents and brother (the prior would save it, the latter would go mad and spend it), and some of my friends.

I'd not actually want a huge amount of money myself. I'd want to have a house which I didn't have to pay mortgage on, learn to drive, and get a car (probably a smart car or maybe a fiesta). Probably spend a couple of years travelling the world, then settle down somewhere and get a job.

The rest would be invested half in high risk investments and half in a very low risk account, so I could dip into it to buy things like new computers and the like.

Not that I've thought about it at all...

Oh, and a boat. I'd want a boat.
    so if you do win

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fund a student through university?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Fund a student through university?
    Would it be enough??

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

CHR1S (10th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Get some very good financial advice, that's what I'd do.

You'd think that it'd be easy to survive for the rest of your life with that sort of money, but handled wrongly and you'll be surprised. Yes you'll be OK for the first 10-20 years, but as soon as inflation catches up with you, if you've not invested at least some of it wisely you can quickly find yourself running short of money to sustain your new lifestyle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Get some very good financial advice, that's what I'd do.

You'd think that it'd be easy to survive for the rest of your life with that sort of money, but handled wrongly and you'll be surprised. Yes you'll be OK for the first 10-20 years, but as soon as inflation catches up with you, if you've not invested at least some of it wisely you can quickly find yourself running short of money to sustain your new lifestyle.
    Money in some ISA's, buy some houses to let / rent and that sort of thing ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    First thing I'd do is buy a few houses and flats/apartments, nothing too fancy, but rent-able. Then I'd buy myself a moderately sized house (by moderate I mean by lottery winner standards, we're still talking way bigger than I'll ever afford in my lifetime!) in England, a remote cottage in Scotland and a villa somewhere near the coast in Spain.

I'd pack in my job, but still "work" on things I'm actually interested in (photography, web design etc.). Not that I'm any good at them, but I enjoy them and would not have to worry about failing, it'd be purely for my own pleasure

Thank Post
    Help some of my family to varying degrees
    Help some of my friends to varying degrees
    Support several local & national charities, not just with money but also time and effort
    Visit the various friends I have worldwide or even better pay for us all to meet up somewhere in a 5 star hotel!
    Buy a nice house with enough space to store the car collection I plan to start
    Get a dog (or ten if my wife has her way!)

Thank Post
    Would anyone else still continue to work? I'd cut down to 3 or 4 days a week, but would still work!

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Retire, design and build the fiendishly geeky house I've been pondering for years, complete with Tony Stark style workshop/office and motorbike garage.
    This is the way to do it. Stuff buying a house. Build a full on automated house that could one day rise and up and rule ALL HUMANITY!!!!!!! Or maybe adjust the lights, curtains and that kinda stuff. On second thought the latter is probably better.

On a more serious note, roughly the same as others. Get my sister & nephew a nice house, him a nice trust fund and some spending money for her. Rebuild my parents house as it is falling down. Sort a nice house for me somewhere. A chunk to various charities including a nice Scout Hut for my group. Sort out my Helicopter license and Fixed wing license. Place in Canada, probably West Country and then one Wales or Peak District. Go bum for a year diving in all those cool places. Learn to sail and get a nice boat. Hire a super yacht with helicopter pad and own wet dock for a month just to say I have.

Share a chunk with some close friends that have always been there.

Probably invest a chunk & set up or invest in some businesses that I have thought about, some serious, some not so much but it would be interesting to see if they work.

Mostly relatively modest stuff. I think with £85M you could make it last as long as you didn't do to many crazy things all at once. You buy a huge mansion and then have the up keep, staff & all the trappings to pay for.

As for working I always thought I would but then I think being super part time would make me loose interest and any time I'm working I would be thinking of the things I could be doing. Probably for a while just so I could have a tantrum and scream "I DON'T HAVE TO BE HERE YOU KNOW!!!!"
    Last edited by TechMonkey; 10th May 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Would anyone else still continue to work? I'd cut down to 3 or 4 days a week, but would still work!

Steve
    I probably would, but it'd be a different sort of work probably freelance or self employed doing something different, where I can pick and chose what I do and when. I would not want to be tied to a 9-5 job anymore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post

Steve
    Not work as such, I'd certainly do some sort of volunteering though at the local primary school and various other charities.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Add some classrooms and teachers to a school in S Africa. Improve the accommodation, facilities and food for the orphan's project. likewise for the other two projects there for the sick and elderly. the rest to my kids and enough for me to travel with camera.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast