+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, DynoRod Plumbing - What a Joke! (SEE PHOTO) in General; If it were me I'd have fixed it myself, plumbing isn't actually that difficult. The biggest mistake people make? Over ...

Thank Post
    If it were me I'd have fixed it myself, plumbing isn't actually that difficult. The biggest mistake people make? Over tightening compression joints, that's when they leak. Here's my kitchen sink just after I'd plumbed it in - No leaks, nice straight pipework and only took me about an hour.

As for the OP question, I wouldn't have paid them if they left it like that, simple as.

Thank Post
    It's a contract with british gas that I have got free for a year! So I don't pay them. Nice pipework btw!

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    You may not be paying them but you would have a job claiming from your insurance for flooding if one or all of those joints fail. An awful lot of water would pump out of there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    The biggest mistake people make? Over tightening compression joints, that's when they leak.
    As a plumbing n00b but interested can you explain this? I would have thought a compression joint should be nice and tight to keep the compression?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good old wiki:

It is important to the integrity of a compression fitting that excessive force be avoided when tightening the nut. If the nut is overtightened, the ferrule frequently deforms improperly causing the joint to fail. Indeed, overtightening is the most common cause of leaks in compression fittings. A good rule of thumb is to tighten the nut first by hand until it is too difficult to continue and then tighten the nut a half-turn more with the aid of a wrench; the actual amount varies with the size of the fitting, as a larger one requires less tightening. The fitting is then tested: If slight weeping is observed, the fitting is slowly tightened until the weeping stops.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    or use a soldered joint...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    As a plumbing n00b but interested can you explain this? I would have thought a compression joint should be nice and tight to keep the compression?
    They need to be tight, but if you over tighten them you will distort the pipe and it'll drip - it's only thin copper and is very easy to distort. Once you get it to that stage, no amount of tightening will stop it dripping, infact it can make it worse. There's no real way to describe how tight then should be - its something you have to be shown or learn yourself. I was taught by a friend of mine who's a gas fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    or use a soldered joint...
    Yeah never got on with those, despite being shown many times how to solder them properly, I just never get it right.
    Last edited by maniac; 9th May 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    That's why I hate compression fittings just the thought that they might have gone wrong allthough having said that I've never had one leak so far, I use soldered joints where I can.

Got a new shower to plumb in at the weekend.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thats a disgrace - begs the question indeed of why that valve is there why would you need to stop the flow of water there in that portion of the copper pipe ? anyways I hope you didnt pay!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12