+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Public sector pay gap increases in General; Apparently, according to a think tank, we are all getting paid a load more than our Private sector equivalents . ...

Thank Post

Public sector pay gap increases

Apparently, according to a think tank, we are all getting paid a load more than our Private sector equivalents. First can anyone find my equivalent out there so I can apologise? Second does anyone know how they work this out?
    How do you find the equivalent of police officer or a soldier? Compare them to a security guard? I think if we were to compare soldiers to PMCs we'd find a bit of an under payment.
    Or compare a teacher to a training advisor? Most of the trainers we have had in have charged in the hundreds for a day!

How about one of us? Most of the companies I know or have looked at would have my job split between 2, 3 or possibly more people. I think I may have managed to, after 10 years, reached the level of some junior positions in external companies.

So am I reading this all wrong or is this just another attempt to generate bad feeling to stop any whining?

Thank Post
    I can see it could be possible to say "IT Professionals" in public earn more/less than private, or "Security Professionals" or "Educators" etc, but completely agree with you - how can they compare the likes of teachers etc individually.

Unless they are just comparing the roles that actually can be compared, such as the business managers/office staff/caretakers

Thank Post
    Err ... there are things called "public" schools, private hospitals etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Err ... there are things called "public" schools, private hospitals etc.
    Yep - I had to phone the "private-sector police" last night after my car was nicked. The "private-sector fire brigade" found it burnt out in a field

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    What utter codswallop. Not to rub it in for you guys, but I know I'm getting paid more in a private school than people doing my job in a state school, and I know the teachers here are in the same boat. We're not a rich school, either - I know the competing school down the road pays more than we do.

First, consider the source. Check out the About Policy Exchange page, where all but one of their endorsements is from a Tory. The very fact that Gove likes them should be a good indicator of how much BS they produce. Then have a read: "We advocate empowering communities to solve their own problems at a local level, and helping people to be more self-reliant rather than dependent." Big Society anyone?

They are also cherry picking their figures, like almost all stats-based reports. Their example of "Primary and nursery education teaching professionals" can include everyone from the teaching assistants upwards. Private schools tend to have many more teaching support staff to supplement the core teaching staff, and many state school budgets have been hit so badly they have had to lay off their teaching assistants almost entirely, which pushes the median upwards. Interesting that they don't draw any comparison between secondary school teachers where the staff demographics are much more similar between private and public sector?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Yep - I had to phone the "private-sector police" last night after my car was nicked. The "private-sector fire brigade" found it burnt out in a field
    There may be no exact equivalent of the police but there are private security firms and private sector fire brigades resident at airports. But it's a report from a right wing "think tank" - probably about as credible as a report on Global Warming from the George C. Marshall Institute.
    Last edited by pcstru; 9th May 2011 at 10:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Hold on, if someone read it more in detail. It does say the bottom end of public sector workers has not increased a great deal.

The article is more concerned with those at the top end of the slippery slope.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ""It is unreasonable and unfair to expect private sector workers to make all the sacrifices," he said."

Market forces, dear boy. Where were you during the boom? Were you championing the comparatively underpaid public sector? Cry me a river.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Hold on, if someone read it more in detail. It does say the bottom end of public sector workers has not increased a great deal.

The article is more concerned with those at the top end of the slippery slope.
    Only bit I can see is
    It says the only group where private sector pay was higher was for the top 10% of earners.
    . So that is the top lot are all ok. I can't find the bit your referring to.

Thank Post
    I find this entirely hard to believe in any level or at any significant scale. I cannot imagine the 'average' Head/senior management of a public school earning 30% more than their private equivalents.

I think IT education salaries on average have gone down overall. 5 years ago few NM's in decent sized school's would earn less than 25k; now i see them for 18-22k. They expect a LOT more for the money now.

Thank Post
    From personal experience, I went from being an IT Assistant in a department of 2 in the Private sector looking after at most 5 servers, 200 users & computers of all types to a Network Manager in a school with a department of 2 with 20+ servers, 1200 users, 500 computers of all types and I'm now ultimately responsible for it all. The only difference was an extra three days holiday, the salary was exactly the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When these reports look at the top earners in each area (I suppose I would fit into that for a vaguely technical / management role) then I do not earn more than my equivalents in the private sector. The holiday is about the same, the perks are less, the stress is about the same (just with a different focus) and the job satisfaction is higher (a very personal assessment).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    From personal experience, I went from being an IT Assistant in a department of 2 in the Private sector looking after at most 5 servers, 200 users & computers of all types to a Network Manager in a school with a department of 2 with 20+ servers, 1200 users, 500 computers of all types and I'm now ultimately responsible for it all. The only difference was an extra three days holiday, the salary was exactly the same.
    Ouch. Took me 3 years working for a school to get to the point where i earn the same amount I use to get when i was a config engineer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I find this entirely hard to believe in any level or at any significant scale. I cannot imagine the 'average' Head/senior management of a public school earning 30% more than their private equivalents.
    I dunno about that, our previous head was on 125k and I guess the present is on that or more - not bad for 150 staff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Ouch. Took me 3 years working for a school to get to the point where i earn the same amount I use to get when i was a config engineer.
    I'm still way below what I was earning 10 years ago in the "real world" - however, I do get to go home before 5.00pm and don't spend up to 6 hours a day driving around the country before even starting work...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast