+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, No to AV wins in General; Seems like the No to AV wins. quite a whopping ratio of 69% of the vote declaring that they want ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

No to AV wins

Seems like the No to AV wins. quite a whopping ratio of 69% of the vote declaring that they want to keep the system as it is...quite something!!!

Thank Post
    Thinks its probably more to do with that the AV system isn't that different to FPTP nor would it really change much. So why spend x on implimenting it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never really a surprise. People were mostly voting for change - not for AV as it stands. AV barely works in the few places it is used - so why on earth would anyone think our bent politicians would make it work?
    I mean properly work. As in fair. For you, me and the candidates.
    Better the devil you know IMO. I didn't vote on it personally because I can't understand why people should be made to vote between two wrong things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also allot of people dont understand it. I have spoke to many people who have no idea what the Alternative Vote is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Also allot of people dont understand it. I have spoke to many people who have no idea what the Alternative Vote is.
    THAT's the problem. AV isnt the best system but it might have stood a chance if people actually understood it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Alas it is worse than that. The people I know who voted against it didn't care whether they understood it or not, they we just not prepared to support, to paraphrase, those left wing idiots.

Much as we have our own echo chambers of edugeek, twitter and the guardian, the 'right' have theirs - and they have some very powerful voices: News Intl and DMGT. Basically if consumers of these two groups do not receive feedback from them that their view has validity, it is simply drowned out.

It works both ways of course, just try suggesting that competitive benchmarking is a good idea for schools in your staff room, or that privatisation of secondary schools might lead to improvements, and just see how quickly your view is shouted down.

The trouble is everything is more complex than FPTP, and with the largest minority supporting the Conservatives, and the great bulk of the media re-inforcing their position the issue was never really going to go any other way.

What I find incredible is that basically one of the 'No' camp's arguments was that we're all too stupid to understand it. And 70% of us said: Yes you're right, we're too thick.

It's depressing

I blame the education system, clearly we need the private sector to come in and sort it out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Thinks its probably more to do with that the AV system isn't that different to FPTP nor would it really change much. So why spend x on implimenting it?
    Why spend money on elections at all?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post

What I find incredible is that basically one of the 'No' camp's arguments was that we're all too stupid to understand it. And 70% of us said: Yes you're right, we're too thick.

It's depressing
    Yea I agree

If you voted No because you didn't understand it, your an idiot. If you voted No simply because as very junior partner in a coalition government nick Clegg didn't do some of HIS election promises and your sulking, you are an idiot.

If you made an informed decision and felt that FPTP is a beter system for whatever reason that's ok.

I saw so much press from people clearly not understanding things I got really cross about it!

Thank Post
    Those who don't understand it are probably amongst the 50+% of people who didn't vote. Those who did understand it and didn't want it are the 69% who voted no.
    What's strange is that you would've expected all Lib Dem voters and at least half of all Labour voters to have voted yes, but the yes vote couldn't even muster that level of support, which kind of puts it in perspective as to how unpopular it was.
    If a proper consulation with the puplic had taken place and a sensible range of voting options given then I'm sure we would now be looking at having a different voting system to FPTP. People felt that this vote was just a sweetener to the Lib Dems to tick box their demands going into coalition, it therefore got the kicking it deserved.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this is true but I read somewhere else that the leadership elections use AV and with FPTP neither the conservative or labour leaders would be in charge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Much as we have our own echo chambers of edugeek, twitter and the guardian, the 'right' have theirs - and they have some very powerful voices: News Intl and DMGT. Basically if consumers of these two groups do not receive feedback from them that their view has validity, it is simply drowned out.
    I'd like to think we sit somewhere in the center thank you!

Thank Post
    part of the problem is anything political has so much "spin" why would you believe anything either side said about av?
    granted the news media taking sides dosent help so you its relatively hard to find actual facts that you can trust to make a decision on anything political. While that is the case all parties will promise you the earth with no idea how to deliver it if they do get power and when they dont deliver thats more reason to distrust them and its a downwards spiral and it gets to the point people think why vote the politicians are only in it for themselves and their cronies why vote for anyone

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread