+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Can You See Digital Signage Being Used In Your School?? in General; Meanwhile, nobody actually looks at the screen anyway. I tried putting notices on the front page of our intranet which ...

Thank Post
    Meanwhile, nobody actually looks at the screen anyway.
    I tried putting notices on the front page of our intranet which is the home page for all users here...once I realised that nobody was actually reading them I gave up and now just have the school calendar on the home page.

I knew they were not reading the notices because nobody ever noticed the April Fools jokes I put on the page...this year my joke involved not showing the page at all...they finally noticed that!

Our head asks me about a screen for reception every year but so far I have convinced him that the cost of buying and running a computer and large display screen all day for the few people who are in reception for more than a few minutes is not worth it.

Thank Post
    @CESIL

@CESIL

What would you like to see regarding digital signage then? I think the sheer level at which children process and filter information these days leaves room only for the next step in information services, which is digital signage. Furthermore if there is money in the budget surely the school would like to see it spent on a product that can help them achieve this rather than losing out on that £200 (for example) the next academic year. As you know schools are like companies any money they do not spend is taken from their budget the following year.

Thank Post
    I think the sheer level at which children process and filter information these days leaves room only for the next step in information services, which is digital signage.
    You have got to be in marketing to come up with a line like that...I don't think I understand what you mean by it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to say I kinda agree with CESIL here. We have digital signage in our foyer, year 5 block, outside our kitchen and in our old foyer. So far, no-one has noticed that the menu box has been empty for 4 weeks, and that there is a spelling mistake on it. The only person who ever actually looks at it is the head.

Thank Post
    Can I ask what sort of content are you displaying on the screens? Are the screens in 'dwell' time areas school canteens, school halls, school foyers (where children normally begin to cue for lunch or morning break) PE halls, common rooms. All this is the kind of support we provide helping you to get the most out of your service.

Thank Post
    where children normally begin to cue for lunch or morning break
    What, do some places provide snooker/pool tables?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamax View Post
    Can I ask what sort of content are you displaying on the screens? Are the screens in 'dwell' time areas school canteens, school halls, school foyers (where children normally begin to cue for lunch or morning break) PE halls, common rooms. All this is the kind of support we provide helping you to get the most out of your service.
    Food and health information, and the menu outside the kitchen.
    School announcements, clubs, menu, accolades and photos/videos of events on the others.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As you know schools are like companies any money they do not spend is taken from their budget the following year.
    correction. state schools are like that. independent aren't.
    and we have one tv, in the pupil entrance, showing normal notices set by staff or students and urgent notices.
    the staff tell the kids that is the only place they will see the notices, meaning no paper based notices everywhere, and it works.
    you dont really need an all singing all dancing product, you need to identify what the school hope to get from it, and what product achieves that.

Thank Post
    Sorry MK-2 I meant State Schools

Thank Post
    What! You mean some schools don't spend their budget? Tell them to send any surplus over here...I had 37p left at the end of last financial year!

Thank Post
    OK, I think the main thing most of us here wanted to know is what difference your product offers technically. Providing premade content is somthing that other members of staff may find apealing, but then it just becomes generic information which will mostly be ignored. We have a screen mounted in our reception area(which has now moved) and I have tried updating it but it's mostly ignored. It has been used most effectively when we have either had interviews or inspection when it has displayed information specific to that time and date and due to reception moving there is no one to ask for any information(it is still a waiting area).

When all staff were asked to pass information to me for me to upload when we initially installed the software, I had 1 response. And this was supposed to be from work they had already produced. I dont think it's all to do with how easy the product is to use, those who are already interested in making the most of Digital signage will make the time to learn how to use it and be willing to generate the information used. Lots of staff just wont bother with updating it as it is often viewed as "not their job".

In case you are wondering we use Xibo here, and have it linked to local & educational news feeds and local weather updates. All this is done dynamically so I never need to update the content unless the link breaks(or internet goes down). Occasionally when I get time(or new content), I will try and update it, but I really dont see the need for paying for something when Xibo pretty much hits everything that we need.

As others have said, if you can provide something which provides additional functionality then maybe it would be looked at, but for those schools that have in house technicians I really cant see any reason why you would not go with Xibo if budget is a concern.

Edit: I may have missed it, but how much is the cost of your system and is there a yearly subscription?
    Last edited by penfold; 6th May 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    What! You mean some schools don't spend their budget? Tell them to send any surplus over here...I had 37p left at the end of last financial year!
    as an independent school our budgets come from pupil fees, so wasteful spending at the end of a year is ridiculous as all you are doing is hurting the schools finances for the next year.
    If we have £2,000 at the end of the financial year, why spend it on something we dont need? Instead let it go back into the school funds and be distributed among the school again rather than lining the pocket of Cloud Company X for their fangled now system that wont get used but uses up the £2,000

Thank Post
    All this is the kind of support we provide helping you to get the most out of your service.
    Cynical translation: "We've got a solution. We'll work with you to find a problem to apply it to"

14. 4 Thanks to SteveBentley:

CESIL (6th May 2011), LosOjos (9th May 2011), powdarrmonkey (6th May 2011), Pyroman (6th May 2011)

Thank Post
    OK so I appreciate what you are all saying the general census is “why would I pay for a product when it is free” & “the pupils do not pay attention to it anyway”.
    No - it's "why would I waste money on this when it isn't going to be used".

So If I list below a few benefits regarding our kit and tell me if you think it is heading in the right direction or simply a waste of time and resources (keep it constructive guys).

1. Nothing to download no pre files to then install supported files or updates/bug fixes (works like Facebook you log in and fire away).
    2. Can log in from any computer on the campus don’t all need regular downloads.
    8. Scheduling, choose who the content is focused towards, what type of content you wish to use and when the content is shown (time frames + for how long).
    There are some other mods that I have left out such as Data Reporting, System Health, Monitoring, Metadata as well as others.
    I already automated this. I'm a lazy sysadmin, remember; if I have to do it more than once, it needs scripting. Then I can get back to stretching my brain, because it desperately needs the exercise.

3. We do have various plugins (however our product is defined by what we leave out) it has been created to be used by the most simplest of users (the average 55+ year old English teacher). The do not need to pass the information to you to then use. We want them to log in and use it themselves.
    I'd be careful about your stereotyping of my users... in any case, they don't have time to "log in and use it themselves", they're too busy teaching and supervising after-school activities and lesson planning and, you know, being a teacher. We employ them because that's what they do best.

6. We supply the whole support for the software training through to any technical support.
    I avoided this issue by using industry-standard software for which we already run staff training in-house.

4. We supply pre-existing content which can be used directly, it is designed aimed at and created for the children to take note. What we are trying to do is make the content appealing. Teachers can supply their own content or upload some of ours (mix and match).
    5. Content will be updated on a regular basis to keep it fresh and accurate.
    This is the only part that I'd be willing to pay for, because good content is worth money. Getting good content out of busy staff on a regular basis is almost impossible, so most of the time our screens just show photos so visiting parents (potential fee-payers, remember) don't see blank screens.

I need to be persuaded that I'm getting good value though.

7. Reacts to triggers Alarms, Epos, Emergency notification systems integrated into the player
    In which direction? I have automated monitoring of the display systems already; if you mean notifying people that there's a fire, I find the loud sirens in every corridor a much better clue.

Are the screens in 'dwell' time areas school canteens, school halls, school foyers (where children normally begin to cue for lunch or morning break) PE halls, common rooms.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    as an independent school our budgets come from pupil fees, so wasteful spending at the end of a year is ridiculous as all you are doing is hurting the schools finances for the next year.
    If we have £2,000 at the end of the financial year, why spend it on something we dont need? Instead let it go back into the school funds and be distributed among the school again rather than lining the pocket of Cloud Company X for their fangled now system that wont get used but uses up the £2,000
    Likewise. Unlike a lot of state schools I've visited, we have a very close and very direct link with our financial partners - parents. At £9,000+ a year, they take a great deal of interest in how we spend their money and we have to be accountable; if they think it's being wasted they soon say so.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123