+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why you should vote YES to AV on Thursday: in General; I know that AV will not bring this but the reform I would like to see is this: United Kingdom ...
    Thank Post
    I know that AV will not bring this but the reform I would like to see is this:

United Kingdom general election, 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Percentage of seats won to actual country wide vote percentage???? Completely nuts!

AV is a step in the right direction, change will be good!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Funnily enough one of them was on the No2AV myth busting section of their website. I was about to link but they have now changed the text. Funny that.
    Case proven

Thank Post
    So you are saying that using a fact from a website that doesn't want AV to show a plus for AV is bad?

Thank Post
    No, I'm saying if it was on either the yes or no websites it's been erm, 'sponsored' shall we say and so shouldn't be relied on as fact.

Thank Post
    I would say that is even more valid as it was on the opposite website. That means before being sponsored the stats were probably higher so the percent up for grabs is higher.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People should not confuse a majority government and majority vote. The No campaign are avoiding some of the figures and the Yes campaign are twisting them. Spin on both sides.

A majority government (which the coalition is) is where the majority of seats are controlled by the government, and this is often forgotten. A majority vote for the governing party (when a single party) is always going to be rare in FPTP.

The only true way that AV will be stopped from having the political backbiting and backdoor deals is to have it as a staged vote. Have the voting run over many rounds, and in each round the one with the lower number of votes is eliminated. I know it sounds a tad X Factor, but it would allow for parties to be more open about when they are picking up sections of the manifesto of others when trying to win votes. It will reduce strategic voting on the day (allowing the groups which people aren't really interested in) to get through.

PR is not an option as far as I am concerned. It will be even messier than coalitions through AV.

As much as I know there is a need for change and that all views need to be considered, there are times when you just have to either accept that someone has to make decisions, or you just accept that it is all political spin and back stabbing ... so why not just go and let the Civil Service get on with keeping the country running without the meddling of politicians. They are not all like Sir Humphrey.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Have the voting run over many rounds, and in each round the one with the lower number of votes is eliminated.
    The problem with that though would be if parties changed their PR after each round... measures would have to be put in place to stop them from looking which party went out first and trying to snatch up their votes.

AV could end up with parties having their "main selling points" in order to get the first votes, but then having "catch all" policies in order to get the second and third votes... Would this would be a good thing as all parties would have to appeal to all people, or would this be a bad thing for the exact same reason?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    The problem with that though would be if parties changed their PR after each round... measures would have to be put in place to stop them from looking which party went out first and trying to snatch up their votes.
    But that is part of the beauty of it ... it becomes self-regulating. If Party Y drops off after a particular round then It is up to other Parties to think about whether they want to scrabble for the loose votes. However, if they change what they were originally touting in their manifesto too much they could lose some of their existing votes, but if they don't listen to what the public are saying then they won't pick up any extra votes. They might think "oh ... to be honest I wouldn't want to be associated with supporters of that Party anyway, and if the others make a play for them then that is ammo for why we are better!"

SyCo to run the electoral system? It could work you know.

Thank Post
    Well, No it is then...

Thank Post
    Judging from the Slaughter of the LibDems.. guessing 1 of 2 things happened:

1) People voted NO because they didn't know enough about it
    2) People voted NO because they don't like the LibDems...

Or both...

Oh well.. we're stuck with FPTP for ever know folks....

Thank Post
    Or, the simple fact that the vast majority are perfectly happy with FPTP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Some people voted No because AV is very complicated and wasnt explained at all well. My brother in law was going to vote no until my sister sat him down and explained exactly how AV works and THEN he understood and voted yes. He is super-intelligent, so if he didnt get it, what hope was there for the rest of us?
    Last edited by witch; 8th May 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Some people voted No because AV is very complicated and wasnt explained at all well. My brother in law was going to vote no until my sister sat him down and explained exactly how AV works and THEN he understood and voted yes. He is super-intelligent, so if he didnt get it, what hope was there for the rest of us?
    Unfortunately this appears to be a common trend and the fault of the Yes campaign's amazing failure to explain how AV works
    Last edited by witch; 8th May 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Judging from the Slaughter of the LibDems.. guessing 1 of 2 things happened:

1) People voted NO because they didn't know enough about it
    This is what I dislike about all of this campaiging the assumption that if you don't agree with a position then it's obviously because you're too thick and can't get your simple minds around it. Both the Yes and No vote are guilty of it. The Yes party as they appear to assume the poor electorate are just not capable of understanding how wonderfully liberal this system is, and the No party as they played to the lowest common denominator and played off peoples fears.

AV was a nasty little compromise, the Lib Dems fought so hard for what they knew was a floored system just to save face. I'd rather keep FPTP for a few more years until a better system such as PR is introduced, than impliment AV and regret it later.

Thank Post
    I liked your post Trapper, up until the last sentence.
    PR, well, lets look at Scotland to see how representative that is. With the FPTP section of the vote, there were MSPs voted out because their constituents didn't want them, which is how democracy should work. However, because they had 'influence' in their party, they were also on the candidate list for the PR side of the vote and managed to stay an MSP through that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast