+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
General Chat Thread, Why you should vote YES to AV on Thursday: in General; **mumbles something about a big shiny chrome padlock** You think this thread should be closed? Why?...
    Thank Post
    **mumbles something about a big shiny chrome padlock**
    You think this thread should be closed? Why?

Thank Post
    Nothing to do with the arguements being presented - only because it's started to derail slightly and is going round in circles...

Thank Post
    I was on holiday for the vote, so didn't get a chance to do it

I hate the current system, about as much as I hate politics in general.

My biggest bug with the current system is that the person who is best for your local area is NOT necessarily the best pick for the country.

I think I'd rather go back to a tyrannical Monarchy at the moment.
    Anything is better than a hung parliament, with one party you wouldn't trust with a wooden spoon, and another party that got in because people didn't like the only other option.
    We've voted in the current people one way or another, but how much of what they've done was wanted or appreciated by the majority of people in the UK? I believe a majority asked for a political reform, not a waste of time and effort that this proved to be.

Thank Post
    My dad was born and bred in Barnsley and he said that you could get a pig stick a red Labour rosette on it and the people of barnsley would still vote for it, draw from that what you will

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    **mumbles something about a big shiny chrome padlock**
    My first vote is to lock the thread.
    My second preference is to leave it open.

Thank Post
    The sad thing about politics is that people will just switch to Labour in the next election, who in turn will screw the country up as they have done in the last 13 years, the conservitives will come in try and tidy it up again, people will get annoyed and the merry-go-round continues.

7. Thanks to Disease from:

j17sparky (11th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Because in my area the Labour man was "parachuted in" and the Lib Dem woman spread a campaign of lies.

And if you visit any Northern town and ask the public, they'll vote Labour and no-other either "because my father did, and so did his father" or "I'll never forgive Thatcher for closing down the knife and fork factories and the pits".
    Not all, my constituency is controlled by the Tories thanks. Infact the North is no different to London.

Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    The sad thing about politics is that people will just switch to Labour in the next election, who in turn will screw the country up as they have done in the last 13 years, the conservitives will come in try and tidy it up again, people will get annoyed and the merry-go-round continues.
    Couldn't agree more. From what I can gather that has pretty much been the trend for the last 50 or so years.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th May 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Not all, my constituency is controlled by the Tories thanks. Infact the North is no different to London.
    Indeed. Look at Lancaster - the council there is a massive mix of Green, Tories, Labour and Independents.

The North is a very big place, and voting behaviours vary massively across it. Sure, in traditional mining towns etc... you'll have that historic behaviour, but in other areas such Blackpool, Lancaster, Harrogate, central Manchester etc... you'll have a much wider range.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    People who chose not to vote should never be factored in, if they chose not to participate that is their own fault, they chose not to take part in democracy. They can not complain after the fact for whatever happens.
    Whilst I agree with the part that they cannot complain, would you vote where they put the choices in such a way that you did not understand? Many people I know chose not to vote because the facts were confusing, on BOTH sides of the coin (both for the yes campaign and for the no campaign). This is the problem that many people faced, they were not sure what they were voting for when ticking the yes or the no box, so therefore spoiled the ballot papers or did not vote entirely.

The remaining that chose not to vote out of ignorance, I wholeheartedly agree should not complain about what happens.

Thank Post
    I have the solution - Lord Vetinari!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Whilst I agree with the part that they cannot complain, would you vote where they put the choices in such a way that you did not understand? Many people I know chose not to vote because the facts were confusing, on BOTH sides of the coin (both for the yes campaign and for the no campaign). This is the problem that many people faced, they were not sure what they were voting for when ticking the yes or the no box, so therefore spoiled the ballot papers or did not vote entirely.

The remaining that chose not to vote out of ignorance, I wholeheartedly agree should not complain about what happens.
    Surely if they dont understand they should do their homework?

Although I also think the Gov should of sent out more info

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The trouble with that was a lot of people simply had no clue where to begin. My mother for example, did not understand the system, so I tried to explain to her, even using practical examples, and bless her heart, she could not grasp it, despite how much she tried.

Many people I spoke too are of the opinion you are 1 person, and you should have 1 vote, not multiple votes (unless there is literally a tie in the votes)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011