+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why you should vote YES to AV on Thursday: in General; Originally Posted by sparkeh But you didn't answer my question. Both options are bad for you but is it ok ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    But you didn't answer my question. Both options are bad for you but is it ok because you voted for it?
    Then choose one, if you got a route to take left or right you cant just stop the car and have a hissy fit. If they are both bad then suggest you pick one, stick names in a hat for all I care. If you dont like the choices then I suggest you start fighting for other choices and if they dont get voted in like AV then its tough the people have spoken.

Thank Post
    But you didn't answer my question. Both options are bad for you but is it ok because you voted for it?
    Something has to be WORTH voting for.

People/things should get votes because theres only two choices and none of them are suitable. I totally disagree that choosing something you have no understanding about (or picking names out of the hat) is any better than not voting. The people in power have relied on Mortons fork for too long, having an order of preference makes no difference.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 9th May 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    if you got a route to take left or right you cant just stop the car and have a hissy fit.
    This is where the "Not going to vote" camp then stay in the car until other people vote for a new route, The "NGTV" camp then, faced with another choice - complain that they don't like this one either - and we go full circle..

Or am I being a bit too synical here?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    If they are both bad then suggest you pick one, stick names in a hat for all I care.
    Awesome way to run the country. I sincerely hope that most people don't vote in your reckless and uninformed manner (though I do fear that a sizeable section do).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    This is where the "Not going to vote" camp then stay in the car until other people vote for a new route, The "NGTV" camp then, faced with another choice - complain that they don't like this one either - and we go full circle..

Possibly, though there's nothing wrong with a bit of cynicism

Thank Post

All I can say is that I'm glad I've got Sat Nav...

Thank Post
    Possibly, though there's nothing wrong with a bit of cynicism
    *Ahem..* - Just checking you were paying attention

Thank Post
    I think you will probably find that te people who did notvote for 'insert political reason here' were in the minority of those who did not vote. Most of the people whodid not vote were probably drunk, on drugs, busy beating their wives/husbands/kids or just to bone idle to get up out of their chairs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I think you will probably find that te people who did notvote for 'insert political reason here' were in the minority of those who did not vote. Most of the people whodid not vote were probably drunk, on drugs, busy beating their wives/husbands/kids or just to bone idle to get up out of their chairs.
    Think that just about covers it

Thank Post
    Think that just about covers it
    Not quite:
    Breaking into the homes of those who've gone to vote
    Working in A&E fixing the drunk/drugged up/beaten up wife,husband, kids
    Have sold their postal vote

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Or couldnt care less
    Me, not afraid to say it, but then I dont complain about the result even if it was a Yes and criticise those who said No.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    teejay has it right: if you didn't want AV then you vote No - this is not a yes vote for FPTP as that wasnt in there at all. It has just confused the issue.
    A no vote was necessarily a vote for FPTP - there were only two possible outcomes. I'd bet it won't be long before the first politician spins the "no" as tacit support of FPTP : "why do we need to discuss PR when the British people have already expressed a firm majority in support of FPTP".

Perhaps a different example would better illustrate the dilemma. Imagine we still have capital punishment by hanging. There is a referendum to change it to death by lethal injection - options yes or no for the change. Are you really suggesting that people who don't want the latter should vote for the former? And others are suggesting that those that don't vote have no right to an opinion on the matter? I imagine politicians would just love that!
    You should vote - a lot of people went through a great deal to get the right to vote.
    So they did; for the right of one person one vote. It is MY vote to do with as I like. The problem with compulsory voting, even in referendums, is that politicians like to ask leading questions like "when did you stop beating your wife". Meanwhile in local or national elections I find that no party actually represents my view on several large and important issues; I do tend to vote these days or wander down the polling station and at least spoil the paper, but I view compulsory voting as an abuse of my right (I have a right to drink beer, doesn't mean I need to drink beer to keep that right). And those who say "no vote no complaining" seem to ignore that complaining (voicing an opinion) is political engagement - perhaps more important than voting. Maybe the rule should be if you don't complain you have no right to vote or at least that would be just as silly a proposition.
    Still don't get that if AV is so bad, why do the political parties use it to elect their leaders?
    Well, we wouldn't understand it would we - not having gone to Eaton and all that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Still don't get that if AV is so bad, why do the political parties use it to elect their leaders?
    Because AV is useful there as all the candidates are on the same party. If there was a leadership contest I could easily vote in order of preference.

But for a national election there is no way I would put a second or third choice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Because AV is useful there as all the candidates are on the same party. If there was a leadership contest I could easily vote in order of preference.

But for a national election there is no way I would put a second or third choice.
    Why not?

I could quite easily rank parties in order of preference. All it would have meant is that parties would have to appeal to all constituents and make sure that their voice is heard. FPTP is only a pain in the butt because if I vote for who I wanted to in my constituency then my vote would mean nothing, which means I am forced to tactically vote.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Why not?

I could quite easily rank parties in order of preference.
    Because in my area the Labour man was "parachuted in" and the Lib Dem woman spread a campaign of lies.

And if you visit any Northern town and ask the public, they'll vote Labour and no-other either "because my father did, and so did his father" or "I'll never forgive Thatcher for closing down the knife and fork factories and the pits".

Thank Post
    **mumbles something about a big shiny chrome padlock**

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast