+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, School Neighbour complaining that they are connecting automatically to our wireless in General; Originally Posted by Chris_Cook The time spent sorting this out would probably do the public image of your school some ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cook View Post
    The time spent sorting this out would probably do the public image of your school some good. Well worth it in my mind, but your line manager is probably the one to check with. Shouldn't really take that long.
    And then when the digger goes through a cable and the school loses everything, you can go round and ask if you can use theirs. In fact, if you set up their security for them, you won't even need to ask. Not that I recommend such action.

Thank Post
    Quick update - I went over to the house yesterday, it's not a laptop, but a desktop with a dongle connecting...

It was connecting to "VirtualProfile" which was a different one of our 3 unsecured SSID's each time. Tried "forgetting" the connection, but it still connected. After a quick google search, it looks like Windows7 doesn't like the Netgear dongle they have, so there's no way of forcing Windows to control the wireless connections.

Simple solution, just download the device driver without the Netgear software and everything should be hunky-dory! I'll do that later, 10 minutes of my time to keep some neighbours happy is time well spent in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You should have invoiced them as technically it was a private job. :-D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    Quick update - I went over to the house yesterday, it's not a laptop, but a desktop with a dongle connecting...

It was connecting to "VirtualProfile" which was a different one of our 3 unsecured SSID's each time. Tried "forgetting" the connection, but it still connected. After a quick google search, it looks like Windows7 doesn't like the Netgear dongle they have, so there's no way of forcing Windows to control the wireless connections.

Simple solution, just download the device driver without the Netgear software and everything should be hunky-dory! I'll do that later, 10 minutes of my time to keep some neighbours happy is time well spent in my opinion.
    Did you get a cup of Tea and some Custard Creams?

Thank Post
    I dont think I would have offered to go round, but in your case you didn't have much choice if you wanted to help. Perhaps you could knock up a quick "how to" guide as these problems tends to crop up again and you dont want to be called everytime the neighbour connects to an outside wireless connection. That way you have showed that you are willing to help as a one off, but the problem clearly lies with them/their setup and they should know how to resolve this issue themselves.

Thank Post
    I done one of these 'good wills' once.

basically a neighbour wanted her Laptop setup ! and had no idea howto and didnt know any one who could.

As we are in a road full of house we decided i would go over 'once' after numerous phone calls and a offer of a donation.

Heres a few things to do

1.) If doing this in school time 'Do not accept cash' when offerd .
    2.) Do not give them your mobile ( unless you want some private work for penuts )
    3.) Give them the phone number of a £50-£70 a hour friend . State if you was to do it , it would cost £90 a hour + call our charge
    4.) state you are doing this as a ' one off ' as you are extremely busy .

Do all the above and you wont hear from them again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12