+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Mobile Phone Upgrade in General; Originally Posted by Rawns I've heard good things about this phone too but not really looked into it. The only ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I've heard good things about this phone too but not really looked into it. The only issue I've heard about it is that the duel core CPU sucks the battery dry very quickly with constant use.
    you should try the hd2 once you configure the battery properly (as i was flashing roms every other day) i can get two days use out of it. i dont mind either as i have a brodit car holder so it charges to and from work, so unless i hit it heavily i should be ok

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    I want to stay with O2 but they do not sell the phone I really want but on the Carphone Warehouse website, I can get the HTC Desire HD on an O2 contract.
    O2 are getting the HTC Sensation in June which is the replacement for the Desire HD. If I was signing up for another 24 months I wouldn't want to get a phone which is already eight months old (an antique in the Android world ).

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

Rawns (4th May 2011)

Thank Post
    I have had a Desire HD for a few months now and I am very happy with it. Be aware that without rooting the phone there is no system wide proxy support in Android 2.2 Froyo. If you can live with that or intend to root your phone then I highly recommend it.

Battery life is poor but I like have the massive screen, locations and push services running.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pshuttle View Post
    Be aware that without rooting the phone there is no system wide proxy support in Android 2.2 Froyo. If you can live with that or intend to root your phone then I highly recommend it.
    I'm going to admit that I have no idea what you just said.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    I'm going to admit that I have no idea what you just said.
    It's an unfortunate thorn in Android's side that there is no official support for proxies; a huge problem in many business environments where internet access over wifi is only possible via a proxy

Fortunately, certain groups of developers have created custom Android ROMS (re-built the Android OS from source with their own tweaks added), and these can be installed on to your Android device to replace the existing ROM/OS - one of these is CyanogenMOD, and that includes proxy support (amongst many other features, it's well worth a look).

"Rooting" refers to a procedure that allows you "root" (Linux equivalent of administrator) access to your device - by default you cannot access system files. This opens the device up to more possibilities, such as overclocking. It is also necessary to root your phone before you install the vast majority of ROMS on to it, as they must overwrite system files. It is essentially the Android equivalent of jail-breaking an iPhone.

EDIT: you can find instructions on how to root a Desire HD here (it's largely an automatic process now): http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...re_HD:_Rooting

There are many ROMS out there, my personal favourite is Oxygen (although it doesn't have proxy support unfortunately, however apps are available that may work for you ("Transparent Proxy" does for me). There's a thread about those apps here: Proxy on Android
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th May 2011 at 01:37 PM.

7. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Rawns (4th May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12