+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Grow Your Own in General; Yesterday we invested in a small greenhouse and seeds/compost/other things needed to grow a bit of your own at home. ...

Thank Post

Grow Your Own

Yesterday we invested in a small greenhouse and seeds/compost/other things needed to grow a bit of your own at home. It's just a little thing that can't fit a rain forest in it, but I have set up a few tomato pots, a few chilli pots, and few pea pots and some herbs.

Can anybody offer any advice to a beginner gardener? Do I water daily? What's the best way to water (hose, watering can, tray with an inch of water in the bottom etc)? Do I need to use any foods of any sort, or is water all that's needed.

Any advice would be appreciated, and the more beginner it is the better I think.

Thank Post
    From my parents one, they generally set a few pots into a tray. Still water the plants from the top (watering can style, small one), but then any excess/spare is shared between the few plants in that tray.

In terms of watering them depends on the weather a lot of the time, If it's the heat it's been last few weeks (at least here) they need more regular, or a bigger helping in the tray in the first place.

In terms of food, it's really down to you. I mean, It's same as outside plants, Sure food "can/should" help with growth, but a) If it's going to die it's likely to either way, b) If it's purely down to saving money etc, Do you want to spend the extra on chemicals etc etc.

Only thing I will say, is even when you have a few more plants, The amount you can get varies hugely, some pickings it's a handfull others it's 2-3 trays.

Good luck! :P

Steve

Thank Post
    What about pest control for the plants I've chosen? Do I need to worry about it or should it be ok?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides < best help around I have found. My mum used a lot of the tips from that last year and this year she has strawberries, blackberries, tomatoes, about 30 different herbs, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, cucumber, marrow etc growing in her garden

Thank Post
    I'd been getting worried about my tomatoes - I felt like I hadn't sowed the seeds properly, and wasn't sure whether I was over watering or even under watering. Went out to the cold frame this morning and I have shoots in 4 or 5 of the pots! Each pot has about 3 or 4 shoots! These were the ones I was worried about because, although they are meant to be easy to care for, you are meant to sow the seed in a propagator - I didn't have a spare propagator so I had to do without, but it's worked.

So now, I have 2 shoots out of 5 coming through on my peas (will plant more tomorrow), about 4 or 5 tomato pots with 3 or 4 shoots each, basil, marjoram, and dill shoots (no thyme or sage yet) and my chili plants are growing tremendously quick.

Not bad for 12 days huh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are growing our own this year, great isn't it. Turned our garden into a big veg patch and having loads of fun.

With regards to watering, you have to do your research on each crop as they will have different requirements. For example only water onions if the weather has been hot and dry for quite a while whereas I have found that tomatoes need constant watering else they shrivel up quite quickly (its also good to water the tomatoes from underneath, eg put the pot in a saucer and fill that.).

Again with pest control you need to look into each crop. A nice way of doing it is to find complementary plants. For example I put French Marigolds with the Strawberries as the Marigolds attract an insect that eats the insects attracted by the fruit.

Thank Post
    Our strawberries have come up early this year. we're growing them outside with no pestersides and no fertilisers. just good old compost. we've experimenting with putting hey around them to stop slugs ect eating our food and to keep the produce off the compost. we grow spuds, carrots and strawberries successfully in our garden.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    On a similar note, well sort of, I can't beleive that Jamie Oliver now sells his 'own' mud!!

Thank Post
    The tomato plants will need feeding. Get some Tomorite (other tomato foods are available) from your local garden centre and feed as per the instructions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    The tomato plants will need feeding. Get some Tomorite (other tomato foods are available) from your local garden centre and feed as per the instructions.
    Already have, but not meant to start feeding them until they've grown their 2nd trusses.

Thank Post
    I usually start feeding mine once they start to flower.

Thank Post
    A small sample from last year's crop of goodies.

Grow Your Own-img_0023.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    All I know is - my peas havent come up this year -why, I have no idea! The corn is looking good, as are the carrots, lettuce, raspberries and gooseberries, but no sign of the peas *sigh*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,699 Posts
    I'm growing salad leaves in near commercial quantities... one hungry tortoise to feed!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast