+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Assessment Task for new IT Technician in General; Hey Ladies and Gents. *As background I currently work part time as an IT Tech at a local school and ...

Thank Post

Assessment Task for new IT Technician

Hey Ladies and Gents.

*As background I currently work part time as an IT Tech at a local school and I have a Degree in I.T.

I have an interview coming up for an IT Technician position which has a 20 minute long assessment task. I have no idea what would be included within this task. For people who have experience in such matters, what form might the task take? Here is a PC, something’s wrong, deal with it? Written essay? Multiple choice?

Any idea of what sort of subjects might be tackled?

I currently work in a temporary IT Tech Position which did not require an Assessment task, so I am really worried! I am up against recent graduates who probably have been boning up on revision more so then myself.

Would you consider a poor mark a complete deal breaker? (Even if the qualifications and experience is there) I do choke up at pressure times like this!

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Asomodai; 1st May 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,418 Posts
    I'd expect it to be a hardware repair task, don't panic.

Can you ask them what form this test will be in?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I'd expect it to be a hardware repair task, don't panic.

Can you ask them what form this test will be in?

Ben
    I am unsure, me asking might not be beneficial to my application.

Thank Post
    Here is a PC, something’s wrong, deal with it? Written essay? Multiple choice?
    Could be some or all of that and then some.

When interviewing Tech candidates I normally had quite a few to do so opted for a written quiz made up of some multiple choice and some free form answers but only ever as a supplement to the interview & 'group chat' stuff we ran.

The quiz I wrote was orchestrated to be quite evil just to get an understanding of strengths and weaknesses technically with a view of at least rationalising where the candidate would need support and where they would excel.

I know of colleagues who would unplug components from a PC and ask the candidate to troubleshoot the issue physically which is absolutely fair enough as a task also.

I would not worry about being up against recent graduates if you have experience in schools I always valued that over a degree. (which if you have one makes your experience a brucey bonus.).

I would not worry about this at all, just make sure you're well up on your DHCP, & DNS and troubleshooting approaches.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Relax! It's just a way of finding out a bit more about what you know, how you work under pressure, and to know more about your problem solving skills.

It may involve asking what you would do in certain situations, ask you to look at a hardware issue (networking, printing or sharing related), and maybe ask you some general techie questions.

You can't really get a feel for what people know in an interview so a 'test' is the best way.

Just be yourself

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I would not worry about this at all, just make sure you're well up on your DHCP, & DNS and troubleshooting approaches.
    Thats probably my weakest area! How in depth would questions with that go?

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Thank Post
    (In my opinion)

I'd at least understand what they both stand for and how their use is core to the functioning of most networks.

Understand what they both do and typical issues that could result as a failure of one or both of them.

(you will be fine!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,418 Posts
    I don't think asking would be detrimental to your application to me it shows you have some nounce.

Ben

Thank Post
    When we recruit our assessment has several parts - multi choice questions (basic IT knowledge, basic maths / English, common sense), a help desk scenario (logging / dealing with a support call) and a practical test (find and resolve the issue).

One thing I would suggest is that in any practical session, if you have someone present, don't be afraid to ask them questions if you need to. The number of candidates that fail to show that they can communicate is a bit worrying.

Not many people know the answer to everything. Its like any exam where you have to show the working out, its as interesting knowing the process of how you came to the end result.

In terms of revision, know your acronyms (AD, DC, DNS, DHCP, etc) Know basic troubleshooting techniques - is it plugged in, is the light on, can it see the network (ping / ipconfig)

Thank Post
    We had something similar here, about 5 people went through it. It was for the Head of IS post which I my self went for (IT Tech at the time).

The guy that aced it was young and fresh out of Uni - he didnt get the job, the guy that did alright, had Experience and what we was looking for. So it is never the end of the story if you dont pass it 100%.
    On the day I asked to see all the CVs and the guy I liked the most was the guy with the best CV, I even told the current boss at the time that he should get the job. So in the end it is never the end of the world, most people might have gone for the fresh out of Uni lad and I think even he believed he would get it.

And even to today, everyone is still very happy that we made the choice, best thing that occured here since I started

Thank Post
    I would say it's probably going to be 10-15 questions - more than likely around DNS, DHCP & general troubleshooting. Nothing to worry about. Read up on acronyms and stuff like 'Ping' as others have suggested. Let us know how you get on.

Thank Post
    All of the above really, not much more to add. The tests I've done and set for people have multiple choise answers, a couple of 'personality' questions ("Who was the best singer with The Misfits?" "Is Star Trek any good?" - all the selectable answers being "No" for that one.)

I usually set one question at the end with "Describe how you would troubleshoot the following issue..." either about a website not loading or a printer not printing just to see a candidate's troubleshooting and thought process. If you get one of those don't expect to find the answer outright, just note down what you'd check for and look through.

Advice would be not to panic and read everything on your written test! It's not designed to catch you out so much as see if you're up to beginning on your career - we don't need a double MCSE or triple CCNA to come in and diagnose WSUS and IIS issues from day 1 (or even day 100!) but someone who's keen to learn about things in the future whilst making themselves useful.

If you have a degree and some relevant experience it looks good for you.

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll try my best. My current NM seems to think its likely to be a multiple choice with a few open answers. Which is what I was afraid of!

Welp.

Thank Post
    depending on there current situation

wouldnt suprise me if they arnt questions copied from testkings etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asomodai View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll try my best. My current NM seems to think its likely to be a multiple choice with a few open answers. Which is what I was afraid of!

Welp.
    Gah I dunno what you're worried about brah you'll be FINE!

It WON'T be as bad as any of those Microsoft exams. You ever take any of those? Jeez to get my MCDST I had to answer ALL SORTS of silly nonsense... SOMETIMES there's TWO right answers to get you from A to B, you've just gotta remember the "Microsoft way" to do it.

Those tests are smelly for sure, these tests won't phase you with the experience you've got I promise. I'll eat my hat otherwise.

Honestly though, and forgetting you're nervous or doubting yourself for a second, what DO you know now about supporting a network in detail, in a day-to-day capacity or in overview?

My previous boss admitted he really sucked in his technical test at his interview, but just said "My experience should speak for itself, I don't do well in written tests" and HE got the job! Admittedly, that might not work every time but it worked for him, and I can guarantee you he did better than the guy who got up AND LITERALLY RAN AWAY during his test!

Remember you're not a computer yourself and you have a personality, so they'll look for that also. Remember to take that with you as well as the CV and the head full of MS Office troubleshooting guides or whatever.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast