+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New PC/Laptop in General; Im looking to buy a new PC or Laptop, I currently have a laptop and sometimes feel a bit restricted ...

Thank Post

New PC/Laptop

Im looking to buy a new PC or Laptop, I currently have a laptop and sometimes feel a bit restricted as far as upgrades expansion etc plus cost.

I want to spend around £1000 and get something thats going to last around two years,

I've looked at Dell etc but im unsure of which PC/laptop is going to give me best value for money.

Its bacially going to be used for VPN to work, web design bit of graphic work but only fireworks/ bit of photoshop, surfing the net bits and pieces as they come up, but i want it to be quick, so i was looking at 4Gb ram and dual core processor.

I can see the benefits of going with AMD = Price tag

Any tips, recommmended suppliers for personal use please would be nice.

Thank Post

Re: New PC/Laptop

Speak to ICT-Direct (see http://www.edugeek.net/edugeekad/dis...rgid=8&adid=18 )... I'm sure that you aren't bothered about it being brand new so for a massive cost saving you will be able to get a decent workstation AND laptop!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or you could buy a mac (It had to be said!!!)

However, for a £1000 you can get yourself a serious machine really. I would say take a look at http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs. You can get a well specced machine with a 22" flat screen for just over £600, taking the special offers into account.

Thank Post

i already have a mac, im just being greedy!

Thank Post

You could build your own and that way you'll know how awesome it is

£1000 could get ya something quite fancy. I mean, dell do offer good deals as we have machines that are spec'ed up nice in the office. 1gb dual channel etc 800Mhz bus bleh bleh with a Intel Pentium D's. But in all fairness, altho its got the figures it hasnt really got speed at all or the ability to add things to it.

I opened it up the other day to put in a laptop SATA HD to recover some stuff from it and blow me, the mobo was extremely basic with about 3 capacitors and 4 chips. 2 DDR2 slots each being used and 1 SATA port which again was being used. I've benchmarked it against a machine similar in spec only with a epox mobo same cpu, similar ram and the results was quite clear that its cheaper nasty stuff.

But I ent knocking dell as we use them all the while in school, laptops are really fast tho compaied to other branded laptops similar spec. Just if you do go for a dell machine, make sure its a good'un and you spend most if not all of it on a workstation as anything cheaper is cheap.

Thank Post

Im unsure of what components are compatible with what, obviously motherboard expansion will be limited with dell, but who should i got to for components, could anyone put something together for me for reference?

Thank Post

system without graphics card.

Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail - £191.51

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U12F (Socket LGA775/754/939/940/AM2) Heatsink £36.41

RAM - GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) - £117.49

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3P (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - £88.11

Hard-drive - Samsung SpinPoint T HD401LJ 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM - £79.89

DVD Drive - Samsung SH-183LBEBN 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer Serial ATA Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM - £22.31

PSU - OCZ GameXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply - £70.49

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - £65.79

Vista - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD - OEM - 1Pk (66I-00788) - £75.19

total - £727.51

Then just stick in your choice of graphics card. All of those prices are from www.overclockers.co.uk but it's not the cheapest place

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

If you go over to the CCL Forums - http://forums.cclonline.com you will find various specs of PC up there for money etc and lots of advice and hints and tips on what to change etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread