+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why would anyone buy a Sony TV anymore? in General; I went looking for TVs today and ran across a brand new Sony on special. So I try it with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries

Angry Why would anyone buy a Sony TV anymore?

I went looking for TVs today and ran across a brand new Sony on special. So I try it with the usual media files on a USB key to see how it will work with my extencive library of media files.

Guess how many it managed to play?

None, thats right not a single one. End result, a nice new Samsung TV. Sure it has a few less features but it actually plays things that have not been blessed by Sony.

I knew it was a bad sign when I looked up the TV online and what kinds of files it played were not listed anywhere. I had no idea they weren't listed because there was nothing to put in the list.

Admittedly I did not put in a JPG or MP3 as I did not even have a doubt that anything would be unable to play them (not so sure now). But Xvid, MKV, even DIVX were all a bust.

Thank Post
    just tried a random divx on mine seems fine. MKV's i believe are an issue but they always seem to cause me grief on a pc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is it from the latest line though, the one I was looking at was this KDL-32CX520 (KDL32CX520, KDL32CX520BU) : Overview : TV & home cinema : Sony . By comparision the Samsung played all of the files no problems. I think Sony is getting into this whole self sabotage thing a bit too much. If they keep going down this route they'll be releasing a version of Windows by the end of the year

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am a Sony fanboy. I must admit most of my stuff is Sony. I drew the line at getting a Sony TV, as they were just way out my budget. I was able to get a 50" LG for what a 42" Sony would have cost me. Granted, it doesnt have all the features or media playback or internet connectivity, but I have all that through my WDTVLive anyway.

Althuogh this would have been a welcome addition : Sony brings Skype to Bravia HD TVs ? reghardware

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Even Samsung could do better - no support for DVD or BluRay ISOs with menus, H.264 MKVs with DTS/DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or FLAC audio, chapters in MKVs/MP4s, etc.

All TVs should come with XBMC, Plex or Boxee built-in as standard IMO. LG has the right idea with their SmartTV range and ST600 add-on for non-smart TVs. Other manufacturers need to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think Sony is getting into this whole self sabotage thing a bit too much.
    Sony has always been bad at supporting non-Sony formats - most likely due to internal politics. They probably want you to buy a PS3 to go with your Sony TV.

Thank Post
    Pioneer or the Panasonic Vierra both wonderful joyful TV's

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    @SYNACK. You may find the list of supported formats on the SamyGo website useful. It's much more comprehensive than Samsung's.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Play_and_DLNA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Even Samsung could do better - no support for DVD or BluRay ISOs with menus, H.264 MKVs with DTS/DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or FLAC audio, chapters in MKVs/MP4s, etc.

All TVs should come with XBMC, Plex or Boxee built-in as standard IMO. LG has the right idea with their SmartTV range and ST600 add-on for non-smart TVs. Other manufacturers need to do the same.

Sony has always been bad at supporting non-Sony formats - most likely due to internal politics. They probably want you to buy a PS3 to go with your Sony TV.
    I totally agree, if all TVs had such an internal system it would be epic but that would probably make the consumer happy hence not needing to upgrade It is a shame, the Sony TV looked like a really nice unit with lots of features but media support is trash. I have a suspision that they don't publish what it actually supports anywhere so they can pull a PS3 and yank features if they feel like it. I have an old 50" Sony that although still working has had massive issues and so I don't really trust them either.

I have a friend with an LG and you are right the format support on that is massive but the picture quality was not as good on the one I looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @SYNACK. You may find the list of supported formats on the SamyGo website useful. It's much more comprehensive than Samsung's.

SourceForge.net: Media Play and DLNA - samygo
    I have looked at that for my other TV which is a 40" Samsung, stupidly when I got that one I also looked at the comparable Sony with the same batch of test files that I used this time and the one year old one (from now) actually played quite a few of them fine so they have chosen to go backwards.

Anyway I just don't have the nerve to reflash my TV incase it goes south and the one I have could only fit the really limited firmware on it. I would dearly love to reflash it with that and support for a usb hub, keyboard, mouse and RDP which would give me a nice little thinclient TV for my room but that is way above my skill level with linux let alone embedded linux

Thank Post
    its a Sony Bravia KDL32EX703U bough last October. Tbh though thats the first time ive tried playing a file on it as its also my pcs monitor so i just use media centre. They do do dnla but i could never get that working with my old nas box and atm havnt bothered setting up any dnla on my replacement which is running 2008r2 though i may change that to vale at some point

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sted - That sounds like about the time I was getting my last TV and at that point the sony ones did play a few of them alright. I've got a W7 media centre box in another room with lots of content which the Samsung handles nicely, the plan was for the new one to do that same so I tested with USB just to figure out the codec support. DLNA is great although it is a bit of a drag having to go through the Windows Media Player folder structure each time to actually get to the media from the DLNA client. Its good as it saves me having yet another computer floating around for miscelanious tasks

If you want to use WMP for DLNA on your 2k8 box just install the Desktop Experience Role which includes it. WMP's DLNA is really good for a zero mantinence DLNA server as it picks up and adds new files instantly which is way better than the AllShare program from Samsung. I'm sure there are better ones but WMP is just so easy to setup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW all I would watch out for Sony products (including the ps3 which has this NOW) for a tech called Cinavia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    BTW all I would watch out for Sony products (including the ps3 which has this NOW) for a tech called Cinavia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    meh cant say im 100% surprised and tbh i expect film studios to push this on all manufacturers sooner or later..same as with the extra encryption on avatar (and all the you wouldnt steal a car ads on films) it will only affect people with legit copies and will be removed from any copy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    meh cant say im 100% surprised and tbh i expect film studios to push this on all manufacturers sooner or later..same as with the extra encryption on avatar (and all the you wouldnt steal a car ads on films) it will only affect people with legit copies and will be removed from any copy
    This tech could be used to block tv recordings as well btw.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    This tech could be used to block tv recordings as well btw.
    TV Recordings is perfectly legal though?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    TV Recordings is perfectly legal though?
    If its not blocked but yes they could use it like they do macrovision. Also the feed from play to tv could add the signal to prevent recording to another device. HDMI does attempt to prevent this but this would fix analogue recordings.
    Tons of big media want things like this to prevent duplicate and distro to the net using analogue etc. Sky has its own DRM on the files as does Virgin when it comes to PVR but analogue hd feed could just bi-pass this but all they would do is firmware add the signal to prevent playback.
    Also I think a lot of sony's blu-ray players will have this detection built in soon if not now or with a future firmware update to prevent playback of files tagged.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 30th April 2011 at 12:08 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast