+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, I WANT ONE!! in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Data replication is easy, it's just a one-line rsync command to run peridically, or use DRBD if you want real-time replication. If you budget for £6,000 and only have to spend £2,000 then that's £4,000 you can spend on something fun!
    Thats true - still waiting to see what they give us - although the head has kind of said what we wanted to give us it just needed to go through the finance people!

Thank Post
    The guy that told me about them has just told me that they are selling the DroboPro (for single host) at buy one get one half price - so two 8 bay units and hdd's would come in about 3k!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I still can't get my head around Netgear making kit that works really well!

That said... I use Netgear for my iSCSI storage network and it's been great.
    That's because on the big boys toys the hardware is Supermicro and the software although made very tacky by the Netgear makeover is all by Infrant a major SAN player that Netgear bought out to get taken seriously in the storage Market.

4. Thanks to m25man from:

john (28th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    That's because on the big boys toys the hardware is Supermicro and the software although made very tacky by the Netgear makeover is all by Infrant a major SAN player that Netgear bought out to get taken seriously in the storage Market.
    Didn't know that one nice to know

Thank Post

Drobo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    The guy that told me about them has just told me that they are selling the DroboPro (for single host) at buy one get one half price - so two 8 bay units and hdd's would come in about 3k!
    Hi Glennda, you must've had the drobo for a few months now and hopefully you'll be able to help me decide whether to go for QNAP or Drobo Pro for user file storage (file server via iscsi). Could you please let me know if it's fast in terms of data access or if there are any issues you might've seen/ heard of?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Hi Glennda, you must've had the drobo for a few months now and hopefully you'll be able to help me decide whether to go for QNAP or Drobo Pro for user file storage (file server via iscsi). Could you please let me know if it's fast in terms of data access or if there are any issues you might've seen/ heard of?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
    I never bought one! In the end I built a huge Machine with 16 x 2tb drives running ubuntu for backups and bought an additional San enclosure for my MSA2000.

The deal breaker was i could have a device to trial - although and hdd's i would have to buy

Thank Post
    I never bought one! In the end I built a huge Machine with 16 x 2tb drives running ubuntu for backups and bought an additional San enclosure for my MSA2000.

The deal breaker was i could have a device to trial - although and hdd's i would have to buy
    Could you please let me know what version of ubuntu and are you also using SAN MSA2000 SAN, what type of model is it?
    I am looking for a disk to disk solution to help me manage my backups better and move away from tapes. I am already licenced to use symantec recovery, which in the proces of trying it on a small iomega box, at the moment it works as it's on a smaller scale and I have to trasnfer data snapshots from iomega to an external usb drive at the end of each week.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We use our San for our VM's running atop of Ubuntu 10.04 using Linux KVM and the extra Storage enclosure is going to be used for File Data using a Ubuntu 10.04 server as a samba share (load balanced - not quite fully setup yet). The Backup Server is below and runs using a software raid - 28tb useable space also running 10.04 and BackupPC for File backups (we don't take os backups of file servers). Exchange/DC's currently backed up use Backup Exec - although this is going soon hopefully not sure what i'm replacing it with yet. If I was running windows on the Chassis I would replace the HBA card with a Proper Decent Raid Card. The storage in this chassis can be increased by purchasing up to 20 further HDD's

HBA CARD - Intel RAID Controller SASUC8I
    INTEL Quad Core Xeon E5520 2.26GHz LGA1366 5.86GT
    Super Micro SuperChassis 847E1-R1400LPB
    Super Micro X8DTH-IF
    Supermicro 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module

Thank Post
    We use our San for our VM's running atop of Ubuntu 10.04 using Linux KVM and the extra Storage enclosure is going to be used for File Data using a Ubuntu 10.04 server as a samba share (load balanced - not quite fully setup yet). The Backup Server is below and runs using a software raid - 28tb useable space also running 10.04 and BackupPC for File backups (we don't take os backups of file servers). Exchange/DC's currently backed up use Backup Exec - although this is going soon hopefully not sure what i'm replacing it with yet. If I was running windows on the Chassis I would replace the HBA card with a Proper Decent Raid Card. The storage in this chassis can be increased by purchasing up to 20 further HDD's

HBA CARD - Intel RAID Controller SASUC8I
    INTEL Quad Core Xeon E5520 2.26GHz LGA1366 5.86GT
    Super Micro SuperChassis 847E1-R1400LPB
    Super Micro X8DTH-IF
    Supermicro 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you backup exchange/DCs/sqlsims onto disk and then transfer it onto usb disks for offsite backup?
    Also, I'd like to know how reliable backup exec when used on Disk to disk backup, is fast? Are you using agents for exchange/ sqlsims?
    Finally, are you based near Birmingham, if so can I come to see the backup box?
    Sorry for the questions, I just wanted to talk to somebody who had first hand experience.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm afraid I'm down tut south near Gatwick! The way I backup Exchange at the moment is using Windows Server backup to a drive on the machine which Backup Exec.

Backup Exec slow point is going to be the network bandwidth it has from point a to L (1gbs).

At the moment we backup A Block to L Block and A Block to Music Block (to HP Microserver for 1 monthly backups). Soon I am Hopefully going to be putting a Machine at the Primary school to replicate data to for our "offsite" backup as it is on other property (boundray red) and is classed as such.

I WANT ONE!!-backupmap.png

Thank Post
    I'm afraid I'm down tut south near Gatwick! The way I backup Exchange at the moment is using Windows Server backup to a drive on the machine which Backup Exec.

Backup Exec slow point is going to be the network bandwidth it has from point a to L (1gbs).

At the moment we backup A Block to L Block and A Block to Music Block (to HP Microserver for 1 monthly backups). Soon I am Hopefully going to be putting a Machine at the Primary school to replicate data to for our "offsite" backup as it is on other property (boundray red) and is classed as such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backupmap.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	12521
    Yes it's too far to Gatewick from here. Thanks for your help and Mery Christmas!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information