+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I WANT ONE!! in General; I'm waiting for the 12 bay model to come out, as it has SAS support as well as SATA....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting for the 12 bay model to come out, as it has SAS support as well as SATA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm waiting for the 12 bay model to come out, as it has SAS support as well as SATA.
    Yep i was thinking that but have requested a demo unit. It says the 2nd quarter of this year so hopefully about now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Yep i was thinking that but have requested a demo unit. It says the 2nd quarter of this year so hopefully about now!
    Yeah, hopefully. I'm pondering it as a potential host for my planned virtualisation project.

Thank Post
    @localzuk - I'd be interested to hear how that would work as backend storage for a virtualisation setup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    @localzuk - I'd be interested to hear how that would work as backend storage for a virtualisation setup.
    Its an iSCSI storage device, so you'd just use it like any other iSCSI device.

Thank Post
    Yeah - I didn't phrase that quite right. I meant in terms of performance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its an iSCSI storage device, so you'd just use it like any other iSCSI device.
    Having just spoken with a friend at another school apparently the iSCSI bit can be flakey - and you can't configure it through the ethernet ports while its enabled you have to take it offline and do it via usb!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Because Drobo use there own filing system how would you do data recovery or is it just a case of fling a new hdd in and the rest is good assuming the controllers on it are ok.

I was looking into this some time ago and found a raid card that supported 24 SATA 2 HDD's , a cheap case that will hold all of the drives and was looking at buying a sea sonic PSU ( at least one ) and then just a case of all the sata and power cables, motherboard, cpu , ram and using something along the lines of free nas, open filer or the likes

At the time I was looking at the 2tb Samsung spin point F4 drives which have a good price

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Having just spoken with a friend at another school apparently the iSCSI bit can be flakey - and you can't configure it through the ethernet ports while its enabled you have to take it offline and do it via usb!
    That's true and you can't have the Ethernet and USB ports connected at the same time , you have to configure it via USB and then disconnect USB and re connect via ethernet etc etc. From reading around on forums etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Yuck.

Ben

Thank Post
    Be aware that not all of the Drobo's support MPIO or CSV's making them useless for some Virtualisation Projects!

Make sure that if Virtualisation is one of your requirements that the Drobo you choose is up to the job, also make sure that you have dual LAN ports that can be properly configured for LCAP or Trunking.

Personally Im a ReadyNAS lover with several deployed in multi node clusters using 10Gbe the busiest with 3nodes and 15 servers running from it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Personally Im a ReadyNAS lover with several deployed in multi node clusters using 10Gbe the busiest with 3nodes and 15 servers running from it!
    I still can't get my head around Netgear making kit that works really well!

That said... I use Netgear for my iSCSI storage network and it's been great.

Thank Post
    I WANT ONE!!
    I thought you were building your own file server? Maybe Drobo's marketing department are just really good - "Quick, there's this chap who's figured out he can build his own server! Phone him and convince him otherwise...". 16TB of storage implies two sets of 5 disks in RAID-5 - 10 disks, caddies, a case, motherboard, power supply, etc should come to around £1,500.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I thought you were building your own file server? Maybe Drobo's marketing department are just really good - "Quick, there's this chap who's figured out he can build his own server! Phone him and convince him otherwise...". 16TB of storage implies two sets of 5 disks in RAID-5 - 10 disks, caddies, a case, motherboard, power supply, etc should come to around £1,500.
    It looked shiny! I'm still looking into both methods! - but if paying a little extra and i can then get another one which will replicate the data across automagically it would be good!

I'm just waiting until they give me the full breakdown of what they have approved as to our budget - we asked for 200k!! so it depends what they have decided we can do.

Thank Post
    if paying a little extra and i can then get another one which will replicate the data across automagically it would be good!
    Data replication is easy, it's just a one-line rsync command to run peridically, or use DRBD if you want real-time replication. If you budget for £6,000 and only have to spend £2,000 then that's £4,000 you can spend on something fun!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information