Poll: Which union do you belong to?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Union suggestions? in General; My position at my school is clearly untenable at present and thus I feel the need to join a union. ...
    Thank Post

Union suggestions?

My position at my school is clearly untenable at present and thus I feel the need to join a union. Please complete the handy poll above to help me decide which is the correct destination for my monthly subscription payment. And if you select "Other", please leave the name and URL of your organisation of choice.

Many thanks,

RW

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Union suggestions?

Bossman and I are with UNISON.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

ASCL - formerly the Secondary Heads Association.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Grumbledook: don't mean to be rude but which camp are you in!
    you jump from one ship to another depending on which one is sinking.
    we can't join this ASCL because it doesnot recognise us as members.

I think Ravening_Wolf wanted to know which unions us non teaching staff members are allowed to join without putting the middle class teachers noses out of joint!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am not the only member of this community that can join the ASCL. I am not aware of Ravening_Wolf's school structure so I don't know whether he is regarded as middle managment or more / less ...

For most support staff I would say UNISON or GMB as they seem to have wore political weight but don't really care that much about the job you actually do unless they have a political point to make (the same as the NUT really!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

UNISON here too. They helpfully defused an unfortunate misunderstanding for me about 2 years ago. Highly recommended.

Thank Post

As a city council employee, I was supposed to be automatically joined into a union when I was employed (I think it was unison). I don't think this ever happened though because I never heard anything from them.

I think I might attempt to join unison at some point, but being as young and inexperienced as I am, I'm struggling to understand the advantages (I've never been in a situation thus far when I thought I could do with the help).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    As a city council employee, I was supposed to be automatically joined into a union when I was employed (I think it was unison). I don't think this ever happened though because I never heard anything from them.

I think I might attempt to join unison at some point, but being as young and inexperienced as I am, I'm struggling to understand the advantages (I've never been in a situation thus far when I thought I could do with the help).
    On your monthly pay slip they will be a deduction from your Union if you are member of any, I think it costs me roughly about £14 a month with Unison.

Also I think its generally a good idea working in a school to be a member of union, especially if you work closely with students and with the expected BSF schemes etc. In my 7 years working here I have never had to get the Unison involved but better to be safe then sorry I would say.

Thank Post

Currently Unison, but considering leaving - had little to no luck getting even basic advice on issues here, and we have no representative at all.

The SMT's approach is that 'we dont do unions here'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derer1
    Currently Unison, but considering leaving - had little to no luck getting even basic advice on issues here, and we have no representative at all.

If employed by lea they HAVE to..

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_

Absolutly wrong Bat. It is not automatic, you have to apply for membership. Here is the West Midlands regional Unison website http://www.unison.org.uk/westmidlands/

For other areas of the country see here http://www.unison.org.uk/about/regions.asp

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs
    Absolutly wrong Bat. It is not automatic, you have to apply for membership. Here is the West Midlands regional Unison website http://www.unison.org.uk/westmidlands/

For other areas of the country see here http://www.unison.org.uk/about/regions.asp
    Thats weird. I seem to recall reading among the masses of paperwork I was sent when I got the job (took me almost half a day to go through all that) that they would assume I wanted to join their chosen union and my details would be automatically sent to them unless I contact them to say otherwise.

Maybe it just meant literally that though... passing on details and thats that. I certainly never heard anything from them (at least I don't remember getting anything from them).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Quote Originally Posted by derer1

If employed by lea they HAVE to..

Russ
    Interesting - how do you mean have to? Teaching staff are encouraged to join the NUT, or similar, but there's some definite pressure not to do the same on the non-teaching side of the fence

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think it was in reference to schools under some control (eg they get money from) LA then they have to recognise unions (there needs to be a specified number present IIRC).

For teachers you have to be a member of a recognised union for insurance purposes ... effectively it is a closed shop and one of the last that exists within the UK.

There are some schools that do not recognise unions of admin / support staff as there are not enough members at the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As tony said,,

If employed by LEA then they must recognise unions as it under nationally agreed scheme via local government association which all lea's go by.

It's in the 'green' book as to say that governors council staff (which includes support/admin staff)

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast