+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
General Chat Thread, Google Apps feeling the pinch? New signups to Free edition soon limited to 10 users in General; ...
  1. #1

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395

    Google Apps feeling the pinch? New signups to Free edition soon limited to 10 users

    With Office 365 looming, you might think Google would be looking to become more competitive, but instead they've announced today that they will be placing stricter limits on the Free edition to force more businesses to start coughing up: from May 10, only schools and non-profits will be allowed to have more than 10 users without paying (currently it's 50).

    Starting on May 10, new organizations (excluding schools and non-profits) with more than 10 users will need to sign up for our paid service, Google Apps for Business, which offers valuable features designed for businesses – customer support, more generous storage limits, a 99.9% SLA, and more. This change will allow us to deliver on the expectations of our small business customers and invest in new features that will help them succeed.
    (Source)

    The change only affects new signups, but does affect new personal customers who don't qualify as "non-profit". Personally I always saw the Free edition as a way for Google to drive people towards Business, but clearly they aren't seeing the conversion rates they've hoped for.

    I also found the free service a good way for the family techie to set up a central email system using a custom domain name for family members, but I guess it will only be useful for small families now. Still, at least the free edition exists, which is more than Microsoft offers.

  2. #2

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,700
    Thank Post
    950
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    451
    Having just moved to 365 I would never pay for the google service over it. We have been on google apps for several years now but after moving out (which was hell, thanks google for making that simple with your stupid labels) I have to say I would probably never go back.
    Like you say though at least it does have a free tier for families etc.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    48
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Having just moved to 365 I would never pay for the google service over it. We have been on google apps for several years now but after moving out (which was hell, thanks google for making that simple with your stupid labels) I have to say I would probably never go back.
    Like you say though at least it does have a free tier for families etc.
    Really? Wow... our experience was the exact opposite... Sorry to hear it was a bust, but we will continue to use Google Docs for as much as possible into the future. It's been a blessing in our environment.

  4. #4

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,700
    Thank Post
    950
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by JaSauders View Post
    Really? Wow... our experience was the exact opposite... Sorry to hear it was a bust, but we will continue to use Google Docs for as much as possible into the future. It's been a blessing in our environment.
    We had several years of mail on google apps which had labels applied etc and googles imap is not the best.
    Did you go gmail->365 or the other way around?

  5. #5
    Nick_Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dainfern, South Africa
    Posts
    461
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    We've been using Google Apps for 1.5 years now and I still love it, met a lot of resistance in the beginning but everybody has finally come around and realized that the change has many benefits.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,217
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 332 Times in 274 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I also found the free service a good way for the family techie to set up a central email system using a custom domain name for family members, but I guess it will only be useful for small families now. Still, at least the free edition exists, which is more than Microsoft offers.
    What would you call Windows Live Domains? Sure, it's not a full enterprise solution with web apps, but as a central e-mail system/calendar/photo albums etc for a family it's perfect.

  7. Thanks to jamesb from:

    AngryTechnician (30th April 2011)

  8. #7

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    What would you call Windows Live Domains? Sure, it's not a full enterprise solution with web apps, but as a central e-mail system/calendar/photo albums etc for a family it's perfect.
    Good point, I'm sure I had looked at this myself a year or so back, but had completely forgotten about it since.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. BETT 2011 - Limited Edition EduGeek Posters
    By Dos_Box in forum BETT 2014
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11th January 2011, 10:24 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th September 2010, 10:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th February 2010, 12:34 AM
  4. [For Sale] Windows 7 Ultimate - Limited Edition
    By Bluetooth in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th January 2010, 04:32 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th December 2009, 01:37 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •