+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teachers TV to close on April 29th! in General; Got an email about this today. It seems it was announced last October but I somehow missed the announcement. Another ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts

Teachers TV to close on April 29th!

Got an email about this today. It seems it was announced last October but I somehow missed the announcement. Another fabulous decision by Gove's department of muppets.

Teachers TV Site Closure | Teachers TV

The Teachers TV website is closing because the Department for Education has terminated the Teachers TV contract.

You will be able to view and download content until 29th April, 2011. You will not be able to view or download content from www.teachers.tv after this date.
    The shutdown will also mean that some previously-downloaded content will no longer be licensed and must be deleted, depending on the original licensing. See the link above for details.

2. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

speckytecky (21st April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    The shutdown will also mean that some previously-downloaded content will no longer be licensed and must be deleted, depending on the original licensing. See the link above for details.
    And how many teachers will listen to that? we all know the issues we have in schools with regards to that sort of thing.

I personally have never used the site apart from downloading videos for staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    And how many teachers will listen to that? we all know the issues we have in schools with regards to that sort of thing.
    I personally have never used the site apart from downloading videos for staff.
    Completely agree with what you are saying about teaching staff, but.... If unlicensed content is on "our" servers, it is our responsibility (and a nightmare!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Completely agree with what you are saying about teaching staff, but.... If unlicensed content is on "our" servers, it is our responsibility (and a nightmare!)
    but without watching every single video on our servers what are we expected to do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Typical, I only just managed to get the site unblocked by the managed service provider.

Thank Post
    but without watching every single video on our servers what are we expected to do?
    Generally, you should have regular complience checks to verify files stored on your servers are in line with the AUP and any other internal/external policies which apply should pick up this kind of thing, and/or highlight content you need to question users further about?

To answer in the context of the Teachers TV issue, they are not expecting you to do anything. It is no longer their problem. It is your responsibility to make sure only copyright material exists on your network (I should say 'probably' your responsibility as I am only assuming you are the Network Manager / most senior person with administrative control of your network?)

The best rule to adhere to is.... If there is no proof of copyright, no license information, and you are ultimately not sure... delete it!
    If you aren't sure on the validity of content

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You just answered your own question... You're supposed to keep track of everything everyone does on your systems in the eyes of the law. Practically, its impossible, but legally required.

Thank Post
    Yeah we track things as much as possible and do keep any eye on things - but i know its our responsibility i just think that in cases of copyright then the person whos area it is should be held accountable rather then the tech teams who manage to the systems.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since it was announced we've had constant requests to download and save content. I just walk off laughing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just for peoples info Leon cynch has organised a crowd sourcing of the creative archive downloads. He has setup a dropbox He will make it available to people working in UK schools to download.

Learn 4 Life » Teachers’ TV Video Archive - the next stage

There is some very good content on there so if can help by downloading some files then do so..

Russell

12. Thanks to russdev from:

GrumbleDook (25th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Hells Bells, does this mean teachers will >actually< have to do some work now? You know, like teach ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @mattx ... whilst I appreciate that the comment was tongue in cheek ... there are also videos on there for support staff, TAs, SEN, etc ... a lot of useful stuff. If people want to pick holes with it then you might as well say that each time we try and catch a webcast then we are skiving.

15. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

fiendishlyclever (25th April 2011)

Thank Post

Legal Responsibility?

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You just answered your own question... You're supposed to keep track of everything everyone does on your systems in the eyes of the law. Practically, its impossible, but legally required.
    Anyone know where I would find the actual legal information relating to this? Am I really 'legally responsible' for 'everything' on my servers? How many years am I looking at if a teacher uploads the latest lady gaga track to their dropbox!

Thank Post
    Very kindly someone put a notice about this on our VLE when I left this evening telling staff to download them whilst they can, yay!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Guy View Post
    Anyone know where I would find the actual legal information relating to this? Am I really 'legally responsible' for 'everything' on my servers? How many years am I looking at if a teacher uploads the latest lady gaga track to their dropbox!
    Only if the taste police pay a visit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast