+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Teachers TV to close on April 29th! in General; Originally Posted by IT_Guy OK, when I said "I'm not a lawyer and I suspect your not either" I was ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Guy View Post
    OK, when I said "I'm not a lawyer and I suspect your not either" I was trying to be nice, I'll be a little more blunt. I wasn't asking for opinions from random strangers on the internet, I was asking for the Law relating to Copyright. I've found the relevant documents so if you don't mind I'll use them as my reliable source rather than your sweeping generalisation that copying is an offence.

The fact that I was requesting the source documents would suggest that I fall into the 'checking the facts' point of view rather than either of the points of view you have created.

Do you look after Health and Safety in your school? You should, you'd fit right in.
    Come on folk ... play nice ... the comments are getting a bit much and it is just folk doing their interpretation of the law ... something many of us are paid to do. The law is a very woolly thing and whilst none of use are lawyers we have to work from existing knowledge and good practice which has been challenged, either through the rigours of audits or through legal challenge. Not many of us are likely to be in that position so we end up with folk looking for interpretations of the law. It is rare to find an out and out perfect case for everything which has a possible legal context.

Those of who are paid to do this sort of thing in our day job will often hold our hands up and say "This is as good as I can give you as it is a grey area ... the best you can do is make sure that you are not left out on a limb should things go wrong". This is why things like the DP guidance from Becta was so difficult for some folk to accept ... and Becta were working on it with one of the best firms for DP advice and guidance. Most of what we have to do is managing risk. That is not something that is set out in law as each company / institute will differ slightly (see previous explanation about whether you go more for a tech solution or a policy solution) and so you are left with folk having to make judgement calls based on the best of their knowledge ... which includes talking to random people to find good practice. Whether you pick it up here (with examples of documentation, etc) or pick it up from places like TechRepublic ... it amounts to the same thing. That is why people chat on the internet about lots of things. This is also why I keep asking people to share their documentation and policies ... to make life easier for others asking the questions you are looking for. You are not on your own in this situation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Dept has said they will make sure it is accessible, but repeatedly failed to respond when people ask how. As of yet it has not been made public about how people will access these and it goes offline tomorrow. I am not saying that it is cutting it fine but ...

Most of the videos which can be saved have now been saved by the #saveTTV group and folk are now trying to gather the associated resources for each video.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Come on folk ... play nice ... the comments are getting a bit much......
    If you think the comments are bad you should see the PM's I'm getting!

The problem with the Copyright law as it relates to Schools is I don't think it's really been tested in court - or I can't find any information on any cases, please feel free to let me know of any - and any advisors will always err on the side of caution, so we end up with draconian policies not related to actual law. A similar approach that leads to school trips being banned and pupils wearing goggles when playing conkers. (Yes, I know it was a joke by the Headmaster)

I wouldn't presume to know what would be acceptable in a court of law myself but I'll follow the relevant Law on Fair dealing in Good Faith and throw myself on the mercy of the court when I get grassed up to the Copyright Police. They'll never take me alive!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The Dept has said they will make sure it is accessible, but repeatedly failed to respond when people ask how. As of yet it has not been made public about how people will access these and it goes offline tomorrow. I am not saying that it is cutting it fine but ...

Most of the videos which can be saved have now been saved by the #saveTTV group and folk are now trying to gather the associated resources for each video.
    The page at DofE Link seems to be asking for volunteers to host the files, I think their getting desperate!

Thank Post
    I've just opened the email from Teachers TV again to go to the DfE links (to see what has been done about hosting), and each link is returning a "Page not found" notice now! Nice of them to keep us all informed....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All the CA videos where captured and now the descriptive text which was on each page (and resources if they were also CA) are being matched up to them ... there is still some discussion about where things can be hosted, but remember that his is basically a file share between people who worked on downloading the videos and resources, not a replacement for the streaming service. As far as I am aware the DoE have also failed to answer numerous requests for clarification, both on twitter and via email.

Thank Post
    I spotted this yesterday - Teachers TV will relaunch as SchoolsWorld on 11 May

and indeed on the Ten Alps site was this, where I assume we can expect the archive to appear from next week.

Some of our advisors and consultants use the videos a lot in training courses, so they are very pleased about this. Hope it helps everyone else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I spotted this yesterday - Teachers TV will relaunch as SchoolsWorld on 11 May

and indeed on the Ten Alps site was this, where I assume we can expect the archive to appear from next week.

Some of our advisors and consultants use the videos a lot in training courses, so they are very pleased about this. Hope it helps everyone else.
    Just sent to the people who tend to use this alot! Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Just sent to the people who tend to use this alot! Cheers
    My pleasure - glad it will cheer up somebody's day!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123