+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Support Staff or Non-Teaching? in General; I am not expected to go to the teacher's meetings, nor am I expected to go to Support Staff meetings. ...

Thank Post

Re: Support Staff or Non-Teaching?

I am not expected to go to the teacher's meetings, nor am I expected to go to Support Staff meetings. Also, I was told the other day that I didn't have to go to Non-Teaching Staff meetings either. So, now I just have meetings by myself...it's enough to give a man a complex.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

I am not expected to go to the teacher's meetings, nor am I expected to go to Support Staff meetings. Also, I was told the other day that I didn't have to go to Non-Teaching Staff meetings either. So, now I just have meetings by myself...it's enough to give a man a complex.
    I tell all the teachers I don't do meetings. Something that would go in my room 101....
    I've been called ' Non Academic staff ' before... I laughed, I think there is only a handful of staff at my school who know my qualifications.
    The kids in the Nursery think I am a magic man !!
    I tend to steer clear of school politics but do enjoy a good gossip with some of the lady teachers who are always willing to make my stay in the staff room fun with tea and cakes.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    I tend to steer clear of school politics but do enjoy a good gossip with some of the lady teachers who are always willing to make my stay in the staff room fun with tea and cakes.....
    The school staff room IS currently my office, which means the tea, cakes, and gossip are now part of my daily routine!

Personally, I feel "Non Academic" is quite an insult.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by EeEk
    At the end of the day were all equal, all just people, and I treat them all the same.
    Spot on. Does anyone really think that respect is garnered from the way you address somebody? It clearly isn't. All we are doing by keeping up this traditional 'Mr' or 'Sir' business is to teach kids that you treat one person in one way and another in another. The really excellent private schools, the ones at the top of every league, use first names only...

State schools will catch up and it will be a good day when they do. Also, I won't have to remember two names for every member of staff...

Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    Personally, I feel "Non Academic" is quite an insult.
    I suppose it depends how academic you are. I wouldn't be insulted but I could see how that might offend. 'Non-teaching' however... well... read my other posts...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    State schools will catch up and it will be a good day when they do. Also, I won't have to remember two names for every member of staff...
    I know of a couple of state schools where the teachers, and other members of staff, are addressed by their first name.

That isn't the case at my school - every adult is addressed as Mr., Mrs., Miss., or Ms. with one exception: me. For some reason I am referred to by my first name. Even my technician is addressed by her surname, but clearly I don't have the precense to warrent such a salutation.

Still, I can think of worse things they could be calling me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

sqdge: Gently remind them of this by referring to them by their first name - they may soon get the message.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    sqdge: Gently remind them of this by referring to them by their first name - they may soon get the message.
    Does the reminder have to be gentle? Nothing changes peoples attitudes quite as quickly as a quick thwack to the back of the head...apparently.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

just add advjectives before or after the Sir

T*sspot Sir
    Sir Fatboy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Does the reminder have to be gentle? Nothing changes peoples attitudes quite as quickly as a quick thwack to the back of the head...apparently.
    Erm, depends... CCTV? Witnesses? :P

Thank Post

Erm, depends... CCTV? Witnesses? :P
    Don't worry - there won't be any.

Thank Post

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable being referred to as 'Mr Wendes'. 'Sir' or 'Giles' is fine - at first they thought it was really strange to be calling me by my first name, adding 'Mr' hence 'Mr Giles'. I really don't mind and can't understand why teachers get so stressed about what the kids call them.

I am 'Giles' because this is what I asked to be introduced as... I really don't think my name, if a little unusual, shows disrespect. Some of my colleagues don't see it this way, and I have had converstations where I have had to defend what I have chosen to be called in the school. It's my choice but call me what you like (as long as I know you're talking to me)

Thank Post

What an interesting thread!

We here are called "Associate Staff" - wheras before it was a mixture of Support Staff or Non Teaching staff. I guess at least we now have consistencey!

To be honest - I don't see what all the fuss is about. You kicked off about a few words on your pay slip - and got them changed - and now the whole world shows you a new form of respect, doctors and lawyers bow when you walk past, even the queen now calls you by your Forename and salutes every time your mentioned............ your quality of life has improved by getting your name changed on your pay slip?

Personally - I dont really care what I am referred to as - non teaching, support, associate, technician, techie, manager, Sir, Mr Butters or Andrew. I am all of the above!

Respect has nothing to do with your job title. I know I have earned the respect of both teaching and associate coleagues by the way they all say hello and smile every time they see me, and the way the Headteacher always says "sorry to bother you" when she calls me in to her office. My title on my pay slip is meaningless. (could do with a few more zero's on it though!)

Andrew

Thank Post

Couldn't agree more non teaching

:P

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Mr Butters
    pfffft Butters

*imagines Butuz in a Professor Chaos TinFoil helmet*