+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Out in the sun too long in General; Anyone else spent all day in the sun? We had a family friend around this morning with an electric chainsaw ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

Out in the sun too long

Anyone else spent all day in the sun? We had a family friend around this morning with an electric chainsaw to remove an old tree stump from the back garden and this afternoon had a walk around the canals of the Rufford area in West Lancs for several hours in the glorious sunshine. It was pretty neat though. Saw my first cuckoo and swallow of the year, more butterflys than I've seen in a long time and the fish were all basking close to the surface of the canal. The only problem I now have is the feeling that the skin on my face is tightning and that I may need to rehydrate a bit more before bed.
    Anyone else had a good day in the sun?

Thank Post
    Yep, i am now bright red and radiating about the same amount of heat as the sun I think...

Thank Post
    I went cycling along the Leeds Liverpool canal today but I went prepared so I have haven't suffered because of my 10 hour sunblock. Going to do the same tomorrow as the canal is very nice near me and of course nice and flat, which my knees appreciate.

Thank Post
    I've been busy in my garden today, painting the walls with planet rock on the DAB radio, and yes it was a lovely day, probably a little too warm for painting, but it seems to have gone OK until I ran out of paint.

BEFORE

AFTER (2 days of work to clear it, 1 day to re-point the wall then painted it today)

Still can't make up my mind whether to keep the pear tree or not.

Thank Post
    Keep it!! you'll get to enjoy some nice juicy pears

Thank Post
    Wife says "Painting round the pile of crap isn't really constructive though"

7. Thanks to Gatt from:

maniac (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I've been busy in my garden today, painting the walls with planet rock on the DAB radio, and yes it was a lovely day, probably a little too warm for painting, but it seems to have gone OK until I ran out of paint.

BEFORE
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Image-7661.jpg

AFTER (2 days of work to clear it, 1 day to re-point the wall then painted it today)
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Image-7902.jpg

Still can't make up my mind whether to keep the pear tree or not.
    Deffo keep the tree mate!

I've been out on the push bike going along the river Waveney with my daughter for most of the day. I did manage to make sure we had sun cream on thought! Beauty of a day!

9. Thanks to bodminman from:

maniac (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Pile of crap is due to be removed, along with pile of rubble in opposite corner as soon as my mate gets here with his van - there's faaar too much to take to the tip in a car. I'm not sure how long it is since anyone's done anything with the garden here, but it was in a right old state when I brought the place. Even the before photo doesn't begin to show you, as I'd already done a days work out there when I took that one. The pile of crap is just what I found in the 'lawn' when I cleared it!

Why do you always find marbles when you dig over a garden?

Thank Post
    Get's interesting when you find a leg bone and skull!!

12. Thanks to Gatt from:

maniac (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Keep it!! you'll get to enjoy some nice juicy pears
    Yeah it produced loads last year, but I didn't really use them. There's only so many things you can do with pears and they don't keep very long. I wanted to do some pear cider, but it didn't produce enough to make it worthwhile. Still it's a well established tree even if it is practically growing out of the wall, so I'll probably keep it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Still it's a well established tree even if it is practically growing out of the wall, so I'll probably keep it.
    But that might mean it's fruiting days are nearly over - fruit trees only last so long. For a garden with a wall you probably want an espalier tree, trained against the wall to save space. Now might be a good opportunity to sort out what you want before you have other stuff growing that you've then got to work around or try and replant.

15. Thanks to dhicks from:

maniac (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    But that might mean it's fruiting days are nearly over - fruit trees only last so long. For a garden with a wall you probably want an espalier tree, trained against the wall to save space. Now might be a good opportunity to sort out what you want before you have other stuff growing that you've then got to work around or try and replant.
    I haven't even thought about what I might plant as I'm not really into gardening. I'm planning on putting all of it down as lawn and just using it as a social space in the summer, maybe with some wall basket thingys for a bit of colour. I wanted to put decking or paving over the whole thing to save having to mow the grass, but I can't afford that. If I decide to remove it at a later date it won't be hard as the trunk isn't that thick, infact I think if I hung of it it would probably snap. I've no idea how old it might be, the neighbour says it's been there as long as he's lived there and that's 20 years.

Thank Post
    I went go karting with the car club I am in and I am a little red faced from it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Fruit trees do decline with age but I have several that are still producing well and they were planted not long after the house was built in 1947
    You can make pear cake (my friend took my Dorset Apple Cake and modified it to Nottinghamshire Pear Cake) and pear tart, or just give them away.

19. 2 Thanks to witch:

dhicks (18th April 2011), maniac (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Pile of crap gone! Ran out of time to paint the walls thou, tooks 6 trips to the tip to get rid of all the rubbish, got fed up waiting for my man with van to be free.

Uncovered the base of the origenal outside loo in the process, which I was kinda expecting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast