+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, running a marathon in General; today's events shown on tv have got me thinking - running a marathon, how hard can it be? is there ...
    Thank Post

running a marathon

today's events shown on tv have got me thinking - running a marathon, how hard can it be?

is there anyone here who's run one and could help me put together a plan to get me into physical shape to run the london one next year or the year after?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    running a marathon, how hard can it be?
    Your best bet is probably to join a local running club, they'll probably be glad to take on new members (I imagine they get a good wodge join this time every year). They'll be able to properly advise you and keep you motivated to train over a year. Runners World magazine is sold in most newsagents (WH Smiths and Sainsbury's carry it), that'd be a good place to start and to look for a good running club in your area.

The London Marathon is a specific event, but there's nothing to stop you running another marathon before next year, or doing some shorter races to get up to speed. You'll find 5k, 10k and quater/half/full marathons are quite common - again, probably the best place to start looking for races is going to be Runners World magazine or website. Triathalons are getting more popular these days - double-check exactly what any race is that you're about to enter, you don't want to turn up to a triathalon by accident.

For something like the London marathon, run exclusivly on roads, the most important bit of kit you'll need is your shoes. Go and get decent ones fitted by someone who knows what they're on about - try and find a specislist running sports shop with a treadmill to analyse your running gait, especially if it's the first time you're buying decent running shoes. The person in the shop will look at the way your feet roll when you run and recommend a pair of appropriate shoes. That'll be the expensive part, maybe up to £100, but you shouldn't need anything more than that to start off with. Modern running shoes aren't designed to last, so you'll probably need to replace them after 6 months, but that's really not that expensive as far as hobbies go, and it'll save your knees falling apart.

If you want to run the London marathon next year you'll need to sign up now. There are places reserved for members of running clubs, but you'll need to have been a member for a few years to be eligable for those. Otherwise, entry is by ballot, and I think there might be some minimum sponsorship requirements - best to check their website. I think the ballot for places opens in a week or so, so you'd better decide soon if you're likely to be able to compete next year.

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

mjs_mjs (17th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Your best bet is probably to join a local running club, they'll probably be glad to take on new members (I imagine they get a good wodge join this time every year). They'll be able to properly advise you and keep you motivated to train over a year. Runners World magazine is sold in most newsagents (WH Smiths and Sainsbury's carry it), that'd be a good place to start and to look for a good running club in your area.

The London Marathon is a specific event, but there's nothing to stop you running another marathon before next year, or doing some shorter races to get up to speed. You'll find 5k, 10k and quater/half/full marathons are quite common - again, probably the best place to start looking for races is going to be Runners World magazine or website. Triathalons are getting more popular these days - double-check exactly what any race is that you're about to enter, you don't want to turn up to a triathalon by accident.

For something like the London marathon, run exclusivly on roads, the most important bit of kit you'll need is your shoes. Go and get decent ones fitted by someone who knows what they're on about - try and find a specislist running sports shop with a treadmill to analyse your running gait, especially if it's the first time you're buying decent running shoes. The person in the shop will look at the way your feet roll when you run and recommend a pair of appropriate shoes. That'll be the expensive part, maybe up to £100, but you shouldn't need anything more than that to start off with. Modern running shoes aren't designed to last, so you'll probably need to replace them after 6 months, but that's really not that expensive as far as hobbies go, and it'll save your knees falling apart.

If you want to run the London marathon next year you'll need to sign up now. There are places reserved for members of running clubs, but you'll need to have been a member for a few years to be eligable for those. Otherwise, entry is by ballot, and I think there might be some minimum sponsorship requirements - best to check their website. I think the ballot for places opens in a week or so, so you'd better decide soon if you're likely to be able to compete next year.
    Very good advice!! I ran it today, 2nd year in a row! its very hard to get into, unless you go down a charity route and then you have to raise a minimum for the charity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread