+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What shall I do with these? in General; Been having a clearout recently of an old shed at my parents house which was rammed full of all sorts ...

Thank Post

What shall I do with these?

Been having a clearout recently of an old shed at my parents house which was rammed full of all sorts of my posessions that I couldn't fit in any of the previous houses I've lived in.

What do I find at the back completely forgotten about? around 100 issues of PC advisor magazine from about January 1996 (issue 4) to some time in 2004 all in reasonable condition as well considering where they've been stored.

I was going to throw them out, but I just can't bring myself to do it as for some reason there's something quite appealing about picking up a 10 year old + PC magazine and having a flick through. However, I've slowly come to realise that I really have not got the room to store them where I am now, so rather than bin them has anyone else got any better suggestions that would make good use of them?

Here they all are:

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've just emailed the current editor at PC Advisor, Matt Egan, and asked him for you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth a punt on eBay!

I'll side with you on the nostalgia front though - it is rather good fun and sometimes a little amusing flicking through those. However, I will never ever ever miss the fact that in the 200 odd pages, there would be about 20 pages of actual content and the rest was crap adverts. The middle pages would often be the green and black coloured spread advert for Aries PCs, anything behind that was just pure advertisement and most the junk before was stuff you'd never actually need

I still remember finding one of the cupboards at school (when I was a student - 13/14 years ago!) chock full of either Computer Shopper or PC World and flicking through an old copy even for that time. Came across an advert for a 32MB stick of EDO memory (30pin) marketed towards the very high end workstation/server environment. I was sat there with my IT teacher at the time and he pointed it out and laughed at the price - it was 1000 per megabyte (32000, obviously). I pulled a similar stick of memory out of my pocket attached to my housekeys. It was identical Not many people could say they had a keyring worth enough to buy a small house with then! But then again, these days whats 32mb... :|

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Not sure if the computer museum at Bletchly is still taking old PC mags - they were the last time I was there a few years ago. Wasted an hour reading old copies of 'Byte' Anyone remember that mag ?

Thank Post
    Anyhoo - sod the PC mags, what Austin did you own ? I had the Austin Allegro - or aggro as I called it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    vanden plus! No messing there!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    vanden plus! No messing there!
    Lordy indeed - no messing !! Still got it ?

Thank Post
    The Haynes book was for an Austin Metro, MG and Vanden Plus version.

It was almost a computing museum in its own right that shed, found these while looking through some boxes - 30pin SIMMS, now that's going back a bit, plus 1 72pin for good measure. There were also 2 old DELL computers, 1 old unbranded 486 computer and more old componants than I care to list - most of which has gone to the tip now. I did power up one of the Dell machines for a laugh and it actually still booted into windows 95!

And spot the old RM monitor . . .

I've got to stop hoarding stuff!
    Last edited by maniac; 16th April 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Thank Post
    My first car in 1979 was an Austin 1100...it was an E reg which was 1967 so it was only 6 years younger than me!

it looked just like this one AUSTIN 1100 GREEN | eBay UK and I was sorely tempted to bid on this one until my wife caught me!...

Thank Post
    I'm sat here stroking my wolfenstein floppy at the moment......stop sniggering at the back.

Thank Post
    I had a Austin Maestro too - if there was one thing about that car I loved was the fact that it was soooooo easy to replace parts - you could stand in the engine compartment and everything was so simple to get to. I look at cars now and just scratch my head, give up and close the bonnet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I'm sat here stroking my wolfenstein floppy at the moment......stop sniggering at the back.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot there was a whole box full of 5 1/4 inch floppies - didn't even bother looking through them, as I don't posess a drive to read them with any longer. Next project is to fix the MK1 golf I have in their garage and get that back on the road, then my parents can finally have all their space back (apart from the dozen or so boxes in the loft, but I think my dad has forgotten about those so I'll keep quiet, for now!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I had a Austin Maestro too - if there was one thing about that car I loved was the fact that it was soooooo easy to replace parts - you could stand in the engine compartment and everything was so simple to get to. I look at cars now and just scratch my head, give up and close the bonnet.
    I'm with you on that, I could change the head gasket on a metro in about 2 hours flat, it was so damn simple!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Whats the street sign then? and why do you have that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Whats the street sign then? and why do you have that?
    It's the old street sign for the road my parents live in. I happened to be around when they were changing it for a new one and cheekily asked if I could have the old one, and they said yes! Must have only been about 13 at the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information