+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I think I've found a AV suite worse than Sophos.... in General; .....It's called Kaspersky - it's worse than Sophos, It really is - it's terrible......I thought my AV woes were sorted ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I think I've found a AV suite worse than Sophos....

.....It's called Kaspersky - it's worse than Sophos, It really is - it's terrible......I thought my AV woes were sorted but now I've changed jobs and it's back to badly written AV suites. Shocking, so many false positives I don't know where to start and an interface that's about as much use as a skirting board ladder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've never really had a problem with Sophos here. Now Symantec/Norton is another kettle of bloated fish

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Kaspersky. It keeps telling me Windows 7 on my PC at home is a virus ;-)

Thank Post
    It's still better than Symantec!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @mattx:

Using Kaspersky here over the whole school and its working very well indeed, in fact its probably even better than our old AV which was very good over the 6 years that we used it.

You twisty old git hehe! ;D

6. Thanks to bossman from:

mattx (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Touching wood as I write this, we like MK-2 have never really had a problem with Sophos. It seems to run quite smoothly and updates the clients every hour.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have look at all sorts on AV products and never found one i can say it really good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Wait till you have to work with Mcaffe!

it's awful but it only costs us 50 quid per year!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AV is all terrible, Kaspersky detects everything, virus or not. Symantec detects almost nothing, NOD32 kills exchange and corrupts databases, Forefront Client Protection requires a datacenter running outdated OSs to run its server components. I have never uses Sophos but from the majority of reviews on here it is best avoided, CA ITM uses all the systems resources as quickly as it can to just run its own bloated interface and is a 50/50 gamble when it comes to protection, Mcafe I have not used for 5-6 years but unless they have throwen out what they had and started again I can't see it being much good.

We should probably just format all of our HDs now and save the virus writers the trouble given the state of computer security on all avalible platforms.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SimAda00 (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I like Kaspersky. It keeps telling me Windows 7 on my PC at home is a virus ;-)
    sophos keeps doing that on my servers finding such things as robocopy (on 2008 so built in) as a virus and finding (randomly not always) smart board drivers as a virus on clients as it has a web server

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I don't mind Forefront, its much nicer and lighter than Sophos, even if you do need a DataCentre to run it all now (or just do as I am doing stick with the last generation as its working fine and will be for a good period of time until MS do the Light version of SCCM for it which I read somewhere is on the cards.

For home users and other areas who don't want a MS product, Avast is a great tool and reasonably well priced for Education.

Thank Post
    kaspersky mega borked for us, had to remove it manually from each machine in safe mode.

Thank Post
    Avast............................................. ..............................

Thank Post
    We had kaspersky for a year, hated every last minute of it and couldnt wait to get back on NOD. Even the home version is pants - it kept blocking all internet videos, so no youtube, iplayer, etc unless it was turned off, great

I can honestly say I would have just preferred to have a virus, they do less damage!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They do all seem dire. I've used Sophos, Symantec and CA eTrust ITM in corporate/education environments now and all 3 have issues:

Sophos - resource hungry, had a habit of 'detecting' viruses and then just letting them install themselves
    Symantec - resource hungry is an understatement - installing it on a machine made me feel like I was now working on a 486.
    CA - Isn't 100% at getting the very latest in viruses (seems to be about a day or so behind the leaders), no safe mode interface due to the way they use a web server to run the interface, the 'call home' aspect for use with the management server seems to work in so much as it gets policies, but the server interface never reflects the real state of the network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast