+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Book Recommendations in General; Ok, so to give my new Kindle a run for its money I need some recommendations for books to read ...

Thank Post

Book Recommendations

Ok, so to give my new Kindle a run for its money I need some recommendations for books to read on holiday. I don't mean "Introducing Server 2008 R2" or "Restful PHP", but more along the lines of a great fictional story.

I enjoy Dan Brown books, and books of that style. Action/Thriller's or even a little bit of Sci-fi. I'm not even looking for obscure recommendations - tell me something that you love that I might like, even if there's a good chance I've already read it. Oh, I also enjoy Chris Ryan/Andy McNab books, but haven't read many of them - so any recommendations on these too.

Ta muchly

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    from my facebook profile of books i like:

The Art of War
    Bangers and Mash
    Meg and Mog
    War and Peace
    The Beano Annual 1987

Thank Post
    David Baldacci and Linwood Barclay are decent thriller/action writers. Do you like police procedurals/crime novels?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver. I think Deaver's writing the new James Bond plot.

Also Watership Down. It's a classic, often mistakenly thought of as a book for childen.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 13th April 2011 at 01:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Patricia Cornwell has a great collection, Stieg Larsson has a great trilogy out, Kathy Reichs is another along the Cornwell route.

I always enjoyed science fantasy along the lines of Anne McCaffrey who wrote about the dragon worlds, good imaginative reading.

Just ordered 8 books from Amazon on Vietnam (true stories) to read on my hols in the Caribbean

There are lots more, but alongside the reading I also enjoy someone telling the story to me so have 100s of audio books too.

Thank Post
    Lee Child's Reacher series are my brain dead read of choice. Good mystery and plenty of descriptive violence. The books aren't specifically linked in series but there are some loose themes running through them so start at the beginning.
    "Eight Lives Down" by Chris Hunter was a very good read. Bomb disposal expert in Iraq.
    "Sniper One" by Dan Mills was also an excellent read.
    Following a bit of a theme if you are into the SAS, "Ghost Force" by Ken Connor is an excellent history that links in with the world politics of the times.
    Andy McNab - Didn't like his Nick Stone stories, the actual stories were good but the overarching storyline was so depressing I just had to stop. His book, "Seven Troop" was excellent though especially as I have read other biographies that linked in with his.

Really enjoying Daniel Silva books at the moment, though I have no idea what order they meant to be in but just finished "The Kill Artist" and "The Mark Of The Assassin" & really enjoyed them both. Weaves a good yarn.

Terry Pratchett is always a fav of mine, especially the City Watch books. His "Good Omens" done with Neil Gaiman is also brilliant.
    Neal Stephenson does a good line of tech/maths fiction. "Snow Crash" is just brilliant, "Diamond Age" is a lovely tale but can get a bit confusing if you don't pay attention and "Cryptonomicon" if you want some hardcore reading with added mathematics, history and technology.

Should do you for starters.

7. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

Hightower (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Anything by Stephen King, Ian Fleming or Freddy Forsythe (not Bruce) :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    Anything by Freddy Forsythe (not Bruce) :-)
    Why, what's wrong with Freddy Bruce?!??!??!?

What about the Dark Tower collection. Or for a good long read but well worth it, Stephen Kings The Stand.

Thank Post
    If you like the action ones, the Robert Ludlum books might be up your street (Author of the books behind the Bourne films).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    War and Peace
    Saving that for my death bed

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    David Baldacci and Linwood Barclay are decent thriller/action writers. Do you like police procedurals/crime novels?
    I think I could read them, but I'm more into tales of war, and religion. As somebody who believes in the big fella upstairs I really like reading about religion - in the Dan Brown/Steve Berry perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Stieg Larsson has a great trilogy out
    I bought the missus "the girl who kicked the hornets nest" for xmas, but at the time I never realised that it was best to read them in order. I now have that trilogy on my Kindle (downloaded last night) so should make for some good reading in the June half term

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Lee Child's Reacher series are my brain dead read of choice. Good mystery and plenty of descriptive violence. The books aren't specifically linked in series but there are some loose themes running through them so start at the beginning.
    "Eight Lives Down" by Chris Hunter was a very good read. Bomb disposal expert in Iraq.
    "Sniper One" by Dan Mills was also an excellent read.
    Following a bit of a theme if you are into the SAS, "Ghost Force" by Ken Connor is an excellent history that links in with the world politics of the times.
    Andy McNab - Didn't like his Nick Stone stories, the actual stories were good but the overarching storyline was so depressing I just had to stop. His book, "Seven Troop" was excellent though especially as I have read other biographies that linked in with his.

Really enjoying Daniel Silva books at the moment, though I have no idea what order they meant to be in but just finished "The Kill Artist" and "The Mark Of The Assassin" & really enjoyed them both. Weaves a good yarn.

Terry Pratchett is always a fav of mine, especially the City Watch books. His "Good Omens" done with Neil Gaiman is also brilliant.
    Neal Stephenson does a good line of tech/maths fiction. "Snow Crash" is just brilliant, "Diamond Age" is a lovely tale but can get a bit confusing if you don't pay attention and "Cryptonomicon" if you want some hardcore reading with added mathematics, history and technology.

Should do you for starters.
    Wow - just the kind of books I was looking for. I started reading Sniper One by Dan Mills, so shall have to get my hands on a Kindle copy.

Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    Anything by Stephen King, Ian Fleming or Freddy Forsythe (not Bruce) :-)
    Not really a fan of Stephen King - granted, I haven't read his works but have seen a couple of the movies that come from his books and it's not my cup of tea - he's more towards horror than thriller right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Ok, so to give my new Kindle a run for its money I need some recommendations for books to read on holiday.
    I'm currently working my way through Jasper Fforde's back catalouge - books about characters who live in a world populated by book characters (or, in the case of the most recent one, books about book characters who live in a world populated by characters being characters out of books...). Daft, but fun. I can particularly recommend The Big Over Easy - a police-procedural book dealing with who bumped off Humpty Dumpty (did he jump, or was he pushed?). It's a daft, fun book that actually works as a proper crime novel, too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    What about the Dark Tower collection.
    That too is on my Kindle, but only because it was part of a 'set of books' I downloaded - not sure what it's about but will give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ljlbray View Post
    If you like the action ones, the Robert Ludlum books might be up your street (Author of the books behind the Bourne films).
    Also got these on some of his works on already so will give him a look

Thank Post
    I like Chris Ryan / Andy Mcnab books. Would recommend Sniper one by Sgt. Dan Mills Its a true story regarding a British battle-group under siege.

I also like Stephen E. Ambrose's books, Band of Brothers / Pegasus bridge.

Read all of Dan Brown's books as well, he has a newish one out called the lost symbol. Sam Bourne's books are along the same line.

And recently i have been reading a trilogy the traveler / the dark river / golden city. They were good enough to get me to buy all 3 but if you just get the first be warned it stops quite abruptly.

Thank Post
    I too like the Dan Brown series and the McNab / Ryan Thriller type books.

If you haven't read Andy McNabs Immediate Action you'll probably like that (it's non fiction but a great read).

My wife reads a tremendous amount and she has put me onto a few different authors recently, I agree with others that Stephen King is definately worth a go she's had me reading a few of his books - I particularly enjoyed "Pet Sematary" and "Rose Madder".

I'd also recommend Jeffery Deaver's "The Blue Nowhere" - I loved it, and Lincoln Child's "Utopia".
    Last edited by superfletch; 13th April 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Thank Post
    +1 for Fford. They really are very witty and readable.

John LeCarre. Worth reading the Smiley stories in the proper order, not starting with the televised books.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast