+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New Technician's Bike License? Any Edugeek Bikers? in General; Hi folks! New technician has started here, and he's giving some thought to buying a motorbike seeing as how cars ...
    Thank Post

New Technician's Bike License? Any Edugeek Bikers?

Hi folks!

New technician has started here, and he's giving some thought to buying a motorbike seeing as how cars are so expensive.

He has a full license having grown up and taken his test in Nepal, but nothing formal here.

Does anyone know where we might start finding out how to get him on the road here and what's involved? I've not got any clue (4-wheels man you see ) but I'd like to get him sorted.

If anyone knows where I might find out what to do sling me a few links.

Thanks - enjoy the sunshine!

Thank Post
    Motorcycles you can ride : Directgov - Motoring

Best bet would be to call dvla and get them to clarify as on there it states about direct access course etc but I would of thought it would be similar in terms of re doing it seeing as its from a different country, different road laws, etc etc

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

El_Nombre (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Find a local bike school with a good recommendations. Ask around any local bike dealers or shops & they will have suggestions. They will then be able to advise but I think the Nepal license will be ignored. If he is over 21 he can take Direct Access Scheme (DAS) which will allow him to go straight on to larger bikes. Whatever he has to do he will have to take CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) which is basic skills and how to handle the bike and then a ride around the area with an instructor following, normally done in one day. Then however much training he needs to pass the test, then the test and all done. I had never done any riding before and did a week course (CBT Saturday then Sunday-Saturday training) with the test the next Tuesday. The test is a lot more involved than it used to be so I can't help with that but the school will probably suggest a practice test or a lesson to assess him and then advise how long they think he needs.

5. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

Thank Post
    He could check with the DVLA. Their website suggests he may be entitled to drive for 12 months on his licence. He could also ask at the local cop shop.

Getting a full bike licence from scratch involves a CBT (usually 1 or 2 days training) after which[*1] (depending on your age) you can ride up to 125cc with L Plates. You can then book your test and (depending on your age) do direct access to acquire a full licence owhich involves being tested riding a 500cc, 33hp machine. Or you can sit the test on a 125cc machine and then be limited for 2 years to a bike of 33hp or under (after 2 years, you can ride any nutterbike of your choice).

Even if he does have a licence, doing a CBT would do him no harm and might be a gentle way to acclimatise to the dread full standards of driving that bikers in the UK have to to deal with or die.

[*1] these days I think you may have to do a theory test as well.

7. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Thanks tons folks. He's onto the DVLA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread