+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Annoying Neighbours...... in General; Seriously, whats she gunna do about it? Just ignore the bitter old... Either that or play games with her; "Its ...

Thank Post
    Seriously, whats she gunna do about it? Just ignore the bitter old...

Either that or play games with her; "Its not a chimanea, its the chimney for my air raid shelter. Wheres your air raid shelter? You have stocked up on baked beans haven't you, Ze Germans are coming...!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    I can see it is irritating but honestly, what can she do? She is obviously someone who feels able to state her opinion of anything and everything and she believes that she has the right to do this. Whether this is is old age - not dementia - but just the old getting grumpy and believing that they can do what they like - or just her character - doesn't REALLY matter.
    Just listen, smile sweetly, say something like - 'I see what you mean' or 'Interesting point' and then just do exactly what you like.
    There is no need to get aggressive or rude yourself
    (NB - why would an octogenarian swearing be odd - they were young once, lived through the war, the cold war and goodness knows what else - they are normal people like you or me - why would they stop swearing when they get old?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 2,267 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Seriously, whats she gunna do about it? Just ignore the bitter old...

Either that or play games with her; "Its not a chimanea, its the chimney for my air raid shelter. Wheres your air raid shelter? You have stocked up on baked beans haven't you, Ze Germans are coming...!"
    Or the disguised periscope for you burried submarine. Seriously though just ignore it politely but put bounds on stuff that is unacceptable like her barging in, do it politely though as she probably just got a little confused as to where the bounds are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is what I love about edugeek - the sheer bile and hatred that pours out over the most trivial of things.

I don't know the old women concerned but I've known other old people who pretty much say random things which can come across as being offensive or intrusive and are best dealt with by offering them a cup of tea and a biscuit to distract them.

I could of course be completely wrong and maybe this woman is a complete psycho about to take an axe to the OP but wouldn't it be nice to give her the benefit of the doubt? (Oh, no - I'd guess not; this is Edugeek after all!)

5. 2 Thanks to srochford:

SimpleSi (11th April 2011), tech_guy (11th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I don't know the old women concerned but I've known other old people who pretty much say random things which can come across as being offensive or intrusive and are best dealt with by offering them a cup of tea and a biscuit to distract them.
    Hmm... the Scrubs 'spoonful of peanut butter' method of calming people. It may be crazy, but it just might work!

Thank Post
    Don't be so hypocritical, I bet you've never said more than a grunt to someone you don't know!

Thank Post
    This is what I love about edugeek - the sheer bile and hatred that pours out over the most trivial of things.

I could of course be completely wrong and maybe this woman is a complete psycho about to take an axe to the OP but wouldn't it be nice to give her the benefit of the doubt? (Oh, no - I'd guess not; this is Edugeek after all!)
    I think the OP was more concerned with the way the old dear put her point across.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Well I didn't pour out bile and hatred - I was quite reasonable, I think..oh yes, I got ignored.
    Some of you really need to chill out - we will all be old one day, IF we are lucky!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Well I didn't pour out bile and hatred - I was quite reasonable, I think..oh yes, I got ignored.
    Some of you really need to chill out - we will all be old one day, IF we are lucky!
    Agreed. There are a good number of internet tough guys floating about. Life's too short to be angry all the time. Be like me instead, belligerently obstinate.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Be like me instead, belligerently obstinate.
    you forgot modest...........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    you forgot modest...........
    Oh, yes, well, that goes without saying!

Thank Post
    I don't know the old women concerned but I've known other old people who pretty much say random things which can come across as being offensive
    And that makes it alright? So if she came out with some racist slur that would have been alright, because after all, it was okay to say that kind of stuff in her day and age.

Thank Post
    I felt quite worried that I opened the can of worms even further when after the argument I had with her about my chimenea, I opened a bottle of sparking perry, and the cork flew into her back yard.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am old - does that count?

Thank Post
    Thanks for your suggestions guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast