+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What Keyboard/Mouse combo do you have? in General; Work: whatever I pulled out of the cupboard Home: standard Dell USB keyboard and standard HP USB mouse. The latter ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Work: whatever I pulled out of the cupboard
    Home: standard Dell USB keyboard and standard HP USB mouse. The latter acquired from the back of a cupboard when standard Dell mouse failed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 985 Posts
    work - Lenovo Keyboard and mouse
    Home - Apple bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth magic mouse

When the engineers from Virgin Media came to install broad band and they wanted to test it on my mac, the bluetooth mouse was asleep and he moved it around for a minute and it re connected and then he started to use the mouse to go into sys prefs --> bluetooth etc and then realised the mouse had re connected and left the bluetooth prefs open, made me chuckle

Thank Post
    Work : Logitech multimedia keyboard and logitech marathon mouse
    Home: Laptop keyboard and touchpad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    work - Lenovo Keyboard and mouse
    Home - Apple bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth magic mouse

When the engineers from Virgin Media came to install broad band and they wanted to test it on my mac, the bluetooth mouse was asleep and he moved it around for a minute and it re connected and then he started to use the mouse to go into sys prefs --> bluetooth etc and then realised the mouse had re connected and left the bluetooth prefs open, made me chuckle
    VM know what a Mac is? I don't believe you;

"Please goto Start"
    I dont have a "STart on my PC, what is it you want me to do?
    "Please press the start button at the bottom left hand cornder of the..."
    I dont have a Start button, its a Mac, what is it you are trying to get me to do and Ill do it?
    "Which version of windows are you using?"
    Im not using windows, Im using OSX.
    "Windows OSX?"
    No, Mac? Apple? OSX?
    "OK, so go to start"
    grrr!

5. Thanks to j17sparky from:

mac_shinobi (6th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Work: Logitech standard keyboard and Wacom Bamboo pen tablet (self-purchase, I prefer tablets to using mice for extended periods)

Home: A wireless keyboard & mouse set (manufacturer's name escapes me right now), also have a wireless pen tablet, and have a device very similar to this
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...Keyboard_1.jpg (can't find the exact one I have).

Lately though I just use my iPad2 for everything so I just need my finger!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    VM know what a Mac is? I don't believe you;

"Please goto Start"
    I dont have a "STart on my PC, what is it you want me to do?
    "Please press the start button at the bottom left hand cornder of the..."
    I dont have a Start button, its a Mac, what is it you are trying to get me to do and Ill do it?
    "Which version of windows are you using?"
    Im not using windows, Im using OSX.
    "Windows OSX?"
    No, Mac? Apple? OSX?
    "OK, so go to start"
    grrr!
    I was thinking that before they arrived

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Wacom Bamboo pen tablet (self-purchase,
    Why is it that some of us think "I'll buy that bit of non-standard kit for myself because it's unfair to expect the school to finance my personal preferences" while others think "I'll kvetch about it until the school pays for one" or "I'll nick one off an existing setup because the school will have to replace it"?

Feeling a bit annoyed this morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Why is it that some of us think "I'll buy that bit of non-standard kit for myself because it's unfair to expect the school to finance my personal preferences" while others think "I'll kvetch about it until the school pays for one" or "I'll nick one off an existing setup because the school will have to replace it"?

Considering many people would be working at their PC's for significant amounts of time, they would have all the health and safety requirements of needing ergonomic equipment. Plus, if that specific piece of tech does actually improve their productivity, and doesn't cost a significant amount, why not?

I have a non-standard desktop machine paid for by the school (core i7 etc...), because it allows me to do my job more efficiently - less waiting. I also have 3 screens, which no-one else has. Should I have funded that? Or should I have had a standard desktop machine like other people (Core2Duo 2Ghz, with 1GB RAM would be about average here) and one screen, reducing my productivity?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My keyboard isn't a standard one but I asked for it because the one that I had before was making my wrists sore. It's the college's duty to make sure that their employees work in a safe environment that doesn't cause them an injury so asking them to spend £30 or so on a keyboard doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Better that then me developing CTS or RSI then having to spend time off for treatment!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Considering many people would be working at their PC's for significant amounts of time, they would have all the health and safety requirements of needing ergonomic equipment. Plus, if that specific piece of tech does actually improve their productivity, and doesn't cost a significant amount, why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    My keyboard isn't a standard one but I asked for it because the one that I had before was making my wrists sore. It's the college's duty to make sure that their employees work in a safe environment that doesn't cause them an injury so asking them to spend £30 or so on a keyboard doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.
    If there is a genuine productivity/health need I totally agree. If (as often seems to be the case in Primary) it's because a member of staff doesn't like using a trackpad or just wants a fancy accessory because they've seen someone else with one or because they've given their mouse away/lost it/let their child/pet chew it- then they should be prepared to finance it themselves.

Like I said, I'm a bit annoyed this morning!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have an Emprex Cheetah keyboard with a Razer Copperhead mouse for my PC.

Thank Post
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Evolunet VerticalMouse 3

Thank Post
    Work : Logitech G15 and Logitech MX Revolution
    Home : Logitech G15 and Logitech G700

I also have 4 screens on my work pc, a local company were getting rid of a load of Dell 19" monitors and we got a lot of them (for free) so I upgraded.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post

In that case I'm very pleased to say I have a cheap and cheerful keyboard and mouse procured at the lowest possible price we could get it for!

Err ... OK, make that two cheap keyboards and ummm, 3 mice BUT let me tell you they are all cheap as chips AND I think you will agree that a mere two keyboards and three mice is very efficient given that there are three PC's and two laptops any one of which might demand my immediate attention at the shrill blip of piezo and need to be carefully controlled via a mouse ... keyboard ... or both ... and cheaply.

Damn, I've just spotted another mouse. OK, make that 4 mice. Cheap ones. Positively the cheapest mice on the planet. Honest guv. The suppliers almost paid *US* to take them away. In fact I think at least one of them came free from a supplier when they were fitting the dedicated ASDL line that comes into this air conditioned hovel a megre 30 meters square which they insultingly call my 'office'. Pah! And it's not as if it is EASY to actually move a mouse on a desk that's housing three monitors, two laptops a nettop PC, a dedicated 1GB managed switch which goes straight back into the high speed network core and some dinky little digital thing I think someone said was a 'telephone' (how quaint!). Really I could probably quite easily justify a high resolution German manufactured precision Maus on the basis that I only have a few square inches to move it around in. But NO, let me tell you I'M PROUD to be using the very CHEAPEST MICE and KEYBOARDS I could lay my hands on and I have NO plans to squander taxpayers money on meaningless, trivial and UNNECESSARY LUXURIES such as a trick mouse or so called 'ergonomic' keyboard.

Ah - OK, there's one in my desk draw as well so 5 mice. Still another cheap one though. Honest.

Thank Post
    Work : Standard HP kit
    Home : Razor Lycosa and Razor Deathadder

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast