+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anaolgue TV switchoff in General; Originally Posted by laserblazer I think I'll get Freesat Which one? FreeSat from Sky or FreeSat not from Sky?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I think I'll get Freesat
    Which one? FreeSat from Sky or FreeSat not from Sky?

Thank Post
    I just watch everything on TVcatchup.com - my PC is pretty much always on, and linked to my TV and the streaming is excellent quality. To be fair thou the only reason I do it this way is because my aerial blew down in the wind and I really can't be bothered to fit a new one, and the Aerial place up the road want £250 to do it. I did have sky, but never watched it so cancelled the subscription last year, plus the dish never received it properly anyway, as there's a very thick hedge behind my house which absorbs most of the signal.

Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Don't rush out to get a Wideband aerial. Check first what you are going to need. By only tuning to the correct band, you may avoid interference from neighbouring transmitters. Comment aimed at readers other than just the OP.
    In the OP's case either a wideband or a Group K (a relatively new group that does 21-48) is required because three of the digital multiplexes are out of the original Group A band from Bromsgrove. But as a general point I'd agree that a grouped aerial is better for most people (although I'd have said it's more to do with performance across the frequency range than interference from neighbouring transmitters.)

Thank Post
    They've been mucking around with the Bromsgrove transmitter again and we lost ITV3, Yesterday and a few others. Funny thing is, the bedroom TV with the loft aerial retuned, whilst the one on the roof, that has virtually line of site to the transmitter won't retune. So I guess I do need to change the aerial. Trouble is. it's a bit higher than I feel comfortable working at, so it's going to cost me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I would recommend everyone to get a dish. A 43cm Sky dish is easily big enough. Then plug a Sky box or Freesat box on the end and that's it.

The UK has something like 99.8% coverage with a dish and it's a known fact Freeview can only handle 4/5 HD channels. I wouldn't waste your money on a Freeview HD box. A Freesat HD box is much better. Dishes are also a lot more future proof and give a much better picture too.

Edit: Also just to clarify, dish setups or cable are unaffected by the switch over. It's only Freeview (aerial setups) which are affected.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OAP just two doors down from me has been quoted a grand (well £999) just to replace his aerial. I've told him to report the installer to TS. There's some horrible people about cashing in on the switchover.

Thank Post
    Having just invested in an HD Freeview box, I don't want to change to Freesat but I will if the aerial is too expensive. I might just get up pn the roof and do it myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    OAP just two doors down from me has been quoted a grand (well £999) just to replace his aerial. I've told him to report the installer to TS. There's some horrible people about cashing in on the switchover.
    I agree that is seriously overpriced. Here are some prices I found. All prices are approx. to give people an idea of costs:

A Sky dish + LNB £35 (An aerial is about the same)
    10m cable + fittings £15
    A satellite finder £7
    A basic Freeview or Freesat box £40

TOTAL: £97.00

9. Thanks to Michael from:

tech_guy (29th September 2011)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree that is seriously overpriced. Here are some prices I found. All prices are approx. to give people an idea of costs:

A Sky dish + LNB £35 (An aerial is about the same)
    10m cable + fittings £15
    A satellite finder £7
    A basic Freeview or Freesat box £40

TOTAL: £97.00

I think you've just given me my weekend project!

Thank Post
    It is good fun and there are some brilliant Satellite type forums like Edugeek. I learnt it all from scratch. There's also a fab website called DishPointer which is really useful too.

12. Thanks to Michael from:

tech_guy (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    It was our Open Day today and I've just got home after 13 hours solid! While the wife was getting tea, I tried retuning again and lo and behold, we have all the channels back again. So the Fire Brigade can stand down, I won't be on the roof.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    If you want a dish get one of these:

Latest MK4 Sky Satellite Mini Dish & Quad LNB , DIY KIT | eBay

Ben

Thank Post
    You can have up to Octo LNBs (8 connections) on a Sky dish. Keeping 8 cables tidy can be a bit tricky

Either 8 rooms for your mansion or 4 rooms with Sky +

Thank Post
    I did my own initial sky installation, and when the sky engineer came to do the 'free' hookup of my multi room subscription (for the lodger) he told me to apply for a job! I chose the biggest digi dish i could lay my hands on (area 2 for the north of scotland and west wales) and a high gain quad LNB and so far, in 6 years i can count the number of weather related drop outs on 1 hand.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would recommend everyone to get a dish. A 43cm Sky dish is easily big enough. Then plug a Sky box or Freesat box on the end and that's it.

The UK has something like 99.8% coverage with a dish and it's a known fact Freeview can only handle 4/5 HD channels. I wouldn't waste your money on a Freeview HD box. A Freesat HD box is much better. Dishes are also a lot more future proof and give a much better picture too.

Edit: Also just to clarify, dish setups or cable are unaffected by the switch over. It's only Freeview (aerial setups) which are affected.
    Remember that we do have a lot of properties in the UK where dishes aren't an option due to planning, heritage status (ie. listed buildings), rented properties etc...

So, sat dishes are a good thing but they aren't going to work for everyone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast