+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is an Ipad a suitable teacher laptop replacment in General; Parent Since and IPad is about same cost as a reasonable laptop, I'm just wondering if it is a suitable ...

Thank Post

Is an Ipad a suitable teacher laptop replacment

Parent

Since and IPad is about same cost as a reasonable laptop, I'm just wondering if it is a suitable device as a replacement for teachers?

Anyone tried one out for that purpose?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I wouldn't have thought so, it won't run the same software used at school and a lot of education websites need flash so I can't see it would be useful there. I can't see how it's better than a laptop for writing things up or creating resources, due to the lack of physical keyboard. In fact the only thing would be useful is if you use it to access your MIS either through the browser or through a custom app - you could do this with any other kind of remote access system.

I've also tried using a normal Windows XP desktop on one using a Citrix Connector to our XenApp server. It was bordering on unusable, the touch screen suddenly wasn't accurate enough because of the resolution needed to do anything. I was really disappointed with it as we were considering it for mobile registration.

Thank Post
    id hate to have to type anthing more than an e-mail on a touch screen imagine typing up 50 reports on an ipad you would go insane

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is a pastel a sutible replacement for a pen?

They are by their nature different things, if your teachers don't do much original work and think that innovation is something that you buy then an iPad would make them feel less bad about themselves. If they actually create resources and new things in line with their implied job descriptions then an iPad is not a full solution. They would need access to a 'real computer' as well either at home or in school. This could to a certain extent be handled by terminal services and turning the iPad into an expencive remote in order to give it access to needed features but then you are just double buying.

Also what about data protection, can you encrypt all data on an iPad and password protect it, would the staff actually stand for this tarnishing the appliance like nature of the device with messy and to their view 'unnessisary' security.

Again the data protection could be handled by terminal servicing it but then you have to ask yourself how many differnet teacher access devices do you need to buy and how much more complex does it end up than just buying the humble laptop.

The media, apple and certain users would like 'computing' to be as easy/limited as using a remote control but you loose so many possibilities with this approach that you are really just self sabotaging if you do not also take into account the shortcommings and like many apple products, pay out the nose to correct them.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd April 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seeing what my mum creates (as a teacher aide) for students to work on in classes, no way....

Thank Post
    No. I've yet to find a teacher (here) who can answer "how are you going to fulfill your job requirements using an iPad as your issued computing device?"

iPads and any (currently available) device where multi-touch / touchscreen is the sole interface are designed for consumption of information. They're distinctly mediocre when you need to create or do things with any kind of precision.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this present moment in time - no. The range of software needed simply doesn't exist. Now, ask the question again in 2 years and you might get a different answer.

Companies are continually moving into the multi-touch space - even Adobe has now developed Photoshop for the iPad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    even Adobe has now developed xxxxxx for the iPad.
    So you can cross security and stability off any possible list of features

Thank Post
    The iPad doesn't replace a laptop/PC. It is a wonder device that supplements those, but probably not at the expense of the school

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Is an Ipad a suitable teacher laptop replacment
    Yes - it'll make the school money, anyway, as you can sell all your IWBs on eBay and use the iPads instead. Note that I think that any teacher devices should be separate from any classroom machines hooked up to front-of-class displays and quite possibly separate from any IT equipment provided for home use, i.e. teachers shouldn't have to lug devices back and forwards between school if they don't want to, they should have a laptop provided for home use. TAs should get devices too. "iPad" doesn't neccesarily mean "an iPad, from Apple", other tablet devices are available (although, admittedly, Apple still seem to be ahead of everyone else).

Edit: Just to add, in the context of that BBC article, the iPads weren't (or shouldn't be) bought as tech toys for staff, they were (or should be) bought because IT equipment is useful, important and time/money saving for schools. I can't see how buying them for senior staff helps - classroom teachers and TAs are going to be the ones getting most use out of an iPad, senior staff are more likly to be best off with a plain old office PC for now. Performances of Shakespere plays are also useful and important for schools, of course, and as worthwile scraping money ogether for as IT equipment.
    Last edited by dhicks; 2nd April 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It depends what you use them for. We had a few people here who only used a laptop for taking the registers & check a few e-mails. They now have some iPads with the Citrix app on to take registers on the terminal servers. For them they are great.

Thank Post
    Not in my opinion. OK for occasional or low volume data entry task but that's it. There isn't enough performance (processing capability) for any serious applications plus the work involved in getting data on and off the things makes them unsuitable.

Thank Post
    Take a look a the new Asus Transformer tablet running Android 3.0. Has a detachable keyboard, which also acts as an extra battery pack, so 16 hours between charges.

Hands on: Asus Eee Pad Transformer review | News | TechRadar UK

Thank Post
    Is an iPad suitable for delivering content in a classroom? Yes to a certain extent. Though I am not sure what my teachers would say if I rolled out iPads across the school when they tried to open their hundreds of ActifStudio flipcharts....

Is an iPad suitable for creating that content/lesson resources? No. Not at all. Not one bit.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For quite a chunk of teaching staff ... yes. For all ... no ...

How about you get your teachers to complete a short survey (and get them to be truthful) about how they use IT at the moment.
    Also consider whether there is a desktop in each classroom for staff to use connected to an IWB.
    Consider what software staff use at the moment and whether they need to use these when teaching to display things created elsewhere, or whether they actually create anything to start with?
    The big barrier is the displaying of materials which contain Flash. This is a big problem for some places ... but only if you are using it as the sole display / delivery tool of a teacher.
    The other main issue I know some people do have is the lack of connection between IWBs and tablet devices. Then again, the folk I know who are making really good use of IWBs are adaptable to take the iPad and do something different with it anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast