+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Viglen opinions?? in General; Originally Posted by sidewinder From my limited experiance with them, hardware seems good, Classlink seems expensive and largely pointless. Pointless ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    From my limited experiance with them, hardware seems good, Classlink seems expensive and largely pointless.
    Pointless in what respect?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Pointless in what respect?
    In that it doesn't seem to offer any advantages over having a Vanilla system. Apart from an AD web interface which makes it easier to add users and deploy printers for non technical users, I dont see what it does at all.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Classlink 7 here, it's awful. The Remote Learning System is intrusive and doesn't always connect along with a very hit and miss web filter, the AD web interface is abysmal and breaks plus it doesn't save bookmarks or history in IE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Were looking to kit our school out in Viglen hardware from now on, its around 250 quid a workstation cheaper than its main two lettered competitor.
    Look at the likes of Stone/novatech/misco custom builds they are so much cheaper then Viglen and RM and HP in my experience anyway.

As for viglen software...... i wouldn't touch it with a **** stick

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Look at the likes of Stone/novatech/misco custom builds they are so much cheaper then Viglen and RM and HP in my experience anyway.
    Not my experience. Stone consistently come out 30% or more expensive. HP about 20%, depending on the machine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not my experience. Stone consistently come out 30% or more expensive. HP about 20%, depending on the machine.
    Depends how many you are buying when i replace around 240 per year (no os's has have large box downstairs) and the ones i have mentioned have been cheaper then HP.

although i wouldn't use viglen or RM hardware.

Thank Post
    overall experience was horrible.

Thank Post
    We have used Viglen products for the past 6 years. Classlink XP first, and now on Classlink 10. We have also used RM CC3, Ranger and Classmaster in a variety of different schools.

Classlink 10, and the Apllication Jukebox were installed into one of our schools 4 months ago, and it has been absolutely excellent. They are both part of Cohaero is an integration platform, it’s based on Sharepoint and integrates information from different systems giving you a single sign on system.

Having used the other systems, Classlink 10 is completely different, as it is built on Microsoft Sharepoint, therefore no annoying restrictions etc, and it just doesn't break,like parts of CC3 used to all the time!! New machines are built and deployed using Microsoft WDS, which Viglen installed and configured, so no problem there, and the Application Jukebox is great for quickly streaming software to the workstations around the school!!

As some have suggested, we did indeed have some issues around parts of the older Classlink systems, mainly Classlink XP, but the new Classlink 10 using the Sharepoint bits has actually been great for us so far!

Considering you would be getting Classlink 10, not Classlink 7, and it is completely different, I would ignore the comments about Classlink 7!

Thank Post
    we have recently moved to Viglen, seem good so far, (Dell struggled to get us the kit we needed on time). Not sure about support yet, as we've not had to call them, but finding drivers and things like that have been no bother. Good and Bad is that you need a tool kit to get inside them, good to stop prying hands, and bad cause I always forget where I left my tools...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    In that it doesn't seem to offer any advantages over having a Vanilla system. Apart from an AD web interface which makes it easier to add users and deploy printers for non technical users, I dont see what it does at all.
    Probably aren't in a position to give an informed view then, really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Viglen, like RM, will do vanilla builds if you push for it. If you want more info about It's Learning have a chat with some of the folk at ULT/UCST schools ...

Thank Post
    We use its learning here as our learning platform. Generally I'm very impressed with it, it is very flexible and allows you to do a lot, It integrates with SIMS, although not single sign on at the moment for us, I understand this is possible. It's also pretty good value for money when compared to other platforms on offer, and although it may lack some of the more advanced features some platforms contain, it does what is needed from a learning platform well.

It is a fully hosted solution hosted on the Its learning server farm in Norway, but don't let that put you off as the access is quick and generally speaking very reliable (only 3 or 4 bits of downtime in 2 years, and these were short lived) Their support is OK, although I find you do have to chase them sometimes.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12