+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Staff question - why do you have access to my password? in General; Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 Is this some kind of joke? Or should this be published on "Worse than Failure" (formally ...

Thank Post

Re: Staff question - why do you have access to my password?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    Is this some kind of joke? Or should this be published on "Worse than Failure" (formally thedailywtf)

http://worsethanfailure.com/Articles..._Security.aspx
    You could publish the fact that when I report a member of staff isn't able to access e-mail or internet the I.T. services helpdesk will knock it back to me 80% of the time if I don't include the original password( which I shouldn't have! )

What's really a killer for me though is that staff in the school might get annnoyed at my knowing their passwords (well having them in a file) yet some regularly leave their classroom PCS left on and logged in as themself then go on holiday or go home.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    What's really a killer for me though is that staff in the school might get annnoyed at my knowing their passwords (well having them in a file) yet some regularly leave their classroom PCS left on and logged in as themself then go on holiday or go home.
    Sorry but I would have to leave as you can not be expected to manage a network like that. Infact it's not really managing anything really.

Thank Post

the key point in all of this was well made with one word 'Integrity' it sounds like yours is being questioned halfmad. Although i wouldn't take it personally some people have nothing better to do than winge, your explanation is clear and concise but not neccassary (in my opinion) your hired to to do a job, your computing head should have set the record straight for you.

Thank Post

Maybe you could highlight that you wish there were no need for you to have their passwords but that because of the way the LA do things you need the information to get their issues resolved as soon as possible. Sounds like the LA need to pull their fingers out and sort something. I hate it when quick and dirty workarounds get left in place because it's "easier".

Thank Post

Yeah I've raised it with them back in December after they let it go on for 3 months without any plan or schedule. I wouldn't leave my job over something like this unless I was accused of something and only then after being proven innocent. Staff in the schools I manage are pretty nice but there are always new staff who wonder why things are done in a different way and I'm giving them the benefit of doubt and saying that it's merely curiosity

I hope to have things sorted out, 2003 clustering will do it as then they can change their passwords all day if they really want to! Ultimately though I'm trying to get across that I don't need their access details to get to their files, to report on what they are accessing on the internet etc.

Disease - it's not managing accounts which frankly is a tiny part of my job, to be honest it's something that a technician could do with his/her hands tied behind their back anyway but the fact is that it SHOULD be necessary, we should have to reset the "change password at next login" option now and then. It's only laziness on IT services part that's preventing me from doing so.

Thank Post

Oddly thinking back to the time when I was working in the I.T. department I had to change my password every month and I had access to less vital data than I do now (and I only change my password because of habit). Yet staff, who have access to some rather detailed kids data can have the same password for 10+ years, it seems rather odd!

think I'll query this with the education department and get them to put pressure on the IT department!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Have you considered doing what we've done and gone completely independant from the county for the curriculum side? As they sound like a shambles and a half and I would probably walk out of that place after a few weeks if I had no control.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    Ultimately though I'm trying to get across that I don't need their access details to get to their files, to report on what they are accessing on the internet etc.
    I find it hard to believe that people can think that a system administrator of a network does not have 100% access to that network and even harder to believe that they can get annoyed about it when they find out the truth. Probably the only sysadmins in the world that can operate a network without full access are people who work for organisations like the NSA and MI6.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

This entire thing sounds like a bit of a breach of the Data Protection Act to me... Having passwords - which can be used to get to pupil data - available in text format in this manner, especially being sent via email.

If anyone is leaving passwords lying around in drawers I would inform them that this is also a breach of the DPA.

Thank Post

We only change them as requested here...............we never have any written documentation of anyones password.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    Have you considered doing what we've done and gone completely independant from the county for the curriculum side? As they sound like a shambles and a half and I would probably walk out of that place after a few weeks if I had no control.
    I use to work for "Education I.T.", it wasn't perfect but it was aimed at making things work for the schools and not for I.T. but after a review they decided to merge us with the central unit and force us to work their way which is why I left after a year of stupid rules and policies which made no sense.

I'm hoping to very soon sort out all this although it would help if I had a technician so I wasn't having to work 7am - 4pm then take work home!

As far as data protection act etc is concerned I don't think that can be enforced, even when I was in council buildings people were writing their passwords on post-it notes and leaving them attached to the monitor! it's insane at times what people do with passwords, my own are changed regularly or are things that have no connection or meaning to myself (usually random keypresses that I memorise).

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it's nice to know that the way I'd like to work is the norm and that I'm not asking for anything out of the ordinary or that's utterly ridiculous. I.T. services frankly need a kick up the bottom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Howabout ... "I am a Network Manager and it makes little difference whether I have your password or not ... I can still change it to whatever I want, run recover tools on the servers to crack your password if I wanted and I could always just ask you and you tend to give your password to me anyway.

However, it is not my choice to work things this way ... it is done by people further up the chain at Central IT. If you have a problem then moan at them and not me!"

Thank Post

:-)

Thank Post

Put it this way, if you didn't have access to their files, they can suffer when they 'accidentally' delete their entire home folder and come crying to you to restore the backup!

Thank Post

Well technically if it was correctly setup security wise Backup Operators can restore files but not view them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast