+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2011 Census this Sunday... a personal plea in General; We've chatted at length about religion, jediism, etc, but on a more serious note the census is about who is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts

2011 Census this Sunday... a personal plea

We've chatted at length about religion, jediism, etc, but on a more serious note the census is about who is in your household on Sunday night...

I've spent a long time trying to unpick my family tree and couldn't have done it without the census records. I've found those little snippets of information about my ancestors both fascinating and frustrating.

While parts of my tree have roots back to the 1580s, some bits still stubbornly refuse to go back before 1900.

"Grandpa, you should have been so easy to find in the 1911 census. You were aged two with an unusual forename (Erle)... so why do your parents appear to be using a different surname in 1911 and can I believe anything else it says about the family?"

For the sake of your descendants in 100 years time, if for no other reason, please fill in the census and please fill it in as accurately as possible!

I've got my online submission all ready to go - won't submit it yet as who knows what unexpected visitor might turn up on Sunday. I've been doing my best in the limited space and questions to give somebody in the future a clue as to why my other half is in Australia!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 26th March 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: apostrophe abuse!

2. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Rawns (28th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I am putting a sign on the door saying "Go away or you will ruin my census"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Already done mine, cant really see the point in putting anything that is not correct.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Not doing mine - [ never done one ] - waste of money [ 300 million but cuts still going ahead ] and why can't the public see the results for 100 years when other firms like Lockheed Martin can ?
    Criminal offence for not filling in a form - what a joke. The government [ any ] already has loads of info on me - they can go whistle dixie.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not doing mine - [ never done one ] - waste of money [ 300 million but cuts still going ahead ] and why can't the public see the results for 100 years when other firms like Lockheed Martin can ?
    Criminal offence for not filling in a form - what a joke. The government [ any ] already has loads of info on me - they can go whistle dixie.
    Good luck with that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    elsiegee is right, it is about history rather than government. I have done mine, sensibly but I didnt answer the religion question and the children found the 'have you got/ever had a job?' questions really difficult as of course they have worked part-time but are also full time students. The questions seem to be directed at people who work and not study.
    How do they marry up the info? I have filled in the census for both sons away at uni, and of course they have filled theirs in as well (I checked that was right).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    While I agree with the meaning, I don't think that this census is going to be the cornerstone of historical accuracy in 100 years time. 100 years ago we were recording everything on paper. No PCs, TVs, few recording devices etc. Today everything is recorded, and I think this will be the last census done as we all choose to plonk everything about ourselves on FB/Twitter/etc, what more will the census add?

Oh, and I am Jedi for 10 more years!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not just Lockheed Martin but any government official above a traffic warden* and all 27 member states of the EU. Wonder what other data is being gathered from those filling in the Lockheed Martins database (IPs also resolve to Lockheed Martin UK).

* just as accurate statement as it being sealed for 100 years.

You should be alright Matt, in 2001 1.5m households didnt provide the government with their personal data and only 38 were prosecuted. The 'enforcement officers' have no authority.

Last edited by Theblacksheep; 27th March 2011 at 02:37 PM.

10. 2 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

mattx (27th March 2011), tech_guy (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    You should be alright Matt, in 2001 1.5m households didnt provide the government with their personal data and only 38 were prosecuted. The 'enforcement officers' have no authority.
    They may not have any authority themselves, but they will be visiting people, and the end result will be those who refuse to fill it in will have their details put forward for prosecution. Just you see.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've filled mine in - in biblical Hebrew.

Does that count?

And on the march in London yesterday I saw a little group in Hyde Park burning theirs in protest!

13. Thanks to tech_guy from:

mattx (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They may not have any authority themselves, but they will be visiting people, and the end result will be those who refuse to fill it in will have their details put forward for prosecution. Just you see.
    It's all well and good being all high and mighty about this, but going on past evidence they can put forward as many names as they like but very little will come of it. Is the government really going to spend a fortune dragging everyone who didn't fill it out into court? No.

That said, I don't mind filling mine in.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As Elsiegee says, why not just fill it in properly? It's less hassle then refusing to fill it in and helps with historical records. We have already found some unusual links between family and friends here from 100 years ago.

Following an Internet trend to be "rebels" and putting things like Jedi or other stupid things on a census is just sad.

16. 2 Thanks to CAM:

elsiegee40 (27th March 2011), Rawns (28th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Without wanting to start a fight here, but why is Jedi 'stupid' for one, and this is compared to filling in something that oh so many people were against a few years ago in something called ID cards? Amounts to the same!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Because the government has asked for information to help build up a picture of the nation. This in turn goes to government departments to help develop and (ironically) fund services provided to you by your council. Example, no point funding extra childcare services in an area populated predominately by pensioners since all their kids have flown the coop and got children of their own. But the area a few blocks down with mostly married couples will benefit greatly from such funding.

Putting Jedi on your census because someone on the Internet 10 years ago told you to will contribute to distorting the data collected by the government. Atheist groups are already up in arms over the Jedi fad as it reduces the number of people declaring themselves as non-religious in the country.

The census has also been going for a considerably longer time then ID Cards. It's an established process with a purpose. ID Cards were an expensive waste of money to get people to walk around with a piece of plastic holding biometric data and a serious privacy nightmare (and you had to pay for it!). The census does not ask for biometric data and contrary to what every other person on the Internet thinks, not everything the government does is an attempt at some malicious act to screw the public over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Wate of money? Maybe, but the forms are already printed and the website set up. the census is going to happen regardless of individuals.

My view is that it may be of use to the current government (equally it may not!), but in terms of a historical snapshot of a point in time in the UK, it's invaluable. Given the speed of change, not just in IT, I hope I'm watching from above or below and can see people scratching their heads over why jedi was a religion or why on earth schools needed a network manager!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast