+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2011 Census this Sunday... a personal plea in General; I've filled it, but I have to say it is useless. My other half is a Postgraduate, still at Uni ...

Thank Post
    I've filled it, but I have to say it is useless. My other half is a Postgraduate, still at Uni (doing her PhD) but getting paid.

What is she on the census, a student, heck she is not even classed as "working". Lets times this by say the small group she works in, and all of a sudden we have 15 people all students, not earning (cos the government claim students don't work or get paid), they don't travel to "work", yet all 15 of them within the next few years will be "doctors" and be helping to shape the future of the country you would hope, afterall the government does talk about how reserach and development is a big future industry. This is only one research group in one office in one University, there are literally thousands more across the country.

And I know the questiosn can be interpreted different, but if we had said she was working, then loads of other questiosn are get stupid, how many hours do you work? Hmm well, she isnt contracted to any hours, so as many as she wants, not an option available.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then she puts down how many hours she typically works a week. They aren't after the hard and fast number told by an employer but how many a person does.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As we was talking about it being a waste of money, this aspect certainly is: UK.gov uses purple-panted-berk to get 'young men' to do census ? The Register

Thank Post
    I think it is a giant waste of money.

why do they need me to fill in a form saying where I live, who I live with and my occupation. They have all details from council tax, Inland Revenue, medical records etc etc.

Can they not join the dots?

Thank Post
    I did mine online, and found the Job title field was too short for the official version of mine, and the tell us briefly about the kind of work you do was much too short!

I was surprised that it only asked for first and last name and not middle names, which would surely be of help to future genealogists to know they've got the right person?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I did mine online, and found the Job title field was too short for the official version of mine, and the tell us briefly about the kind of work you do was much too short!
    i put in:
    Job Title - Network Manager
    Brief Desc - Manage Networks

Well you asked!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i put in:

Well you asked!
    I did wonder if I should put "Mangle Networks" for the second part...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    No. For two reasons. If they did, they would be accused of "Big Brother" tactics. And secondly, they would employ EDS to implement it; and we know how that would pan out don't we?

Please, again, no Jedis! If you don't believe, SAY SO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i put in:

Well you asked!
    I put fix computers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    I think it is a giant waste of money.

why do they need me to fill in a form saying where I live, who I live with and my occupation. They have all details from council tax, Inland Revenue, medical records etc etc.

because to the best of my knowledge govenment systems arnt tied together so council has your infor for/from council tax dosent mean say the dvla have the same info separate systems (probably incompatible and we know how good government is at it projects so i wouldnt expect a joined up system anytime soon)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post

I was surprised that it only asked for first and last name and not middle names, which would surely be of help to future genealogists to know they've got the right person?
    I agree on all counts... 34 characters each for job title and job description is too short

I also discovered that Line 1 of Employer's address was being truncated at 16 characters which isn't enough for my school's address which requires 19 characters and that's if I typed Rd instead of Road... why couldn't it work the address out from the postcode and house-number/name?

As for middle names, from a genealogy POV they would be useful, but how many do you allow people to enter? Middle initials would be just as useful. At least you enter a full date of birth now which is very useful if you've ever tried to put a family tree together!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I agree on all counts... 34 characters each for job title and job description is too short

I also discovered that Line 1 of Employer's address was being truncated at 16 characters which isn't enough for my school's address which requires 19 characters and that's if I typed Rd instead of Road... why couldn't it work the address out from the postcode and house-number/name?

As for middle names, from a genealogy POV they would be useful, but how many do you allow people to enter? Middle initials would be just as useful. At least you enter a full date of birth now which is very useful if you've ever tried to put a family tree together!
    To do the postcode/house number/name bit, they'd've had to buy a license from Royal Mail to do that, and for that scale of system, it isn't cheap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    To do the postcode/house number/name bit, they'd've had to buy a license from Royal Mail to do that, and for that scale of system, it isn't cheap.
    Isn't the Royal Mail a government owned limited company, surely they could persuade them to have the licence for free if they own it....!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    Isn't the Royal Mail a government owned limited company, surely they could persuade them to have the licence for free if they own it....!
    Doesn't work like that... Nothing in government works like that.

Thank Post
    Some definite flaws in some questions - the questions about employment really aren't geared up to people who have retired. My parents had to say that they didn't work last week but would have been able to do had they been offered work!

Also, the languages spoken bit doesn't cater very well for children who are too young to talk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast