+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 2011 Census this Sunday... a personal plea in General; Originally Posted by CAM Because the government has asked for information to help build up a picture of the nation. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Because the government has asked for information to help build up a picture of the nation. This in turn goes to government departments to help develop and (ironically) fund services provided to you by your council. Example, no point funding extra childcare services in an area populated predominately by pensioners since all their kids have flown the coop and got children of their own. But the area a few blocks down with mostly married couples will benefit greatly from such funding.

Putting Jedi on your census because someone on the Internet 10 years ago told you to will contribute to distorting the data collected by the government. Atheist groups are already up in arms over the Jedi fad as it reduces the number of people declaring themselves as non-religious in the country.

The census has also been going for a considerably longer time then ID Cards. It's an established process with a purpose. ID Cards were an expensive waste of money to get people to walk around with a piece of plastic holding biometric data and a serious privacy nightmare (and you had to pay for it!). The census does not ask for biometric data and contrary to what every other person on the Internet thinks, not everything the government does is an attempt at some malicious act to screw the public over.
    Picture of the nation ? It takes 3 years to sort though it all so even that is a waste of time as it will be 3 years out of date by the time they have it all. How can you base funding on childcare on data that's 3 years old ? That's daft !!
    Last edited by mattx; 27th March 2011 at 08:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Picture of the nation ? It takes 3 years to sort though it all so even that is a waste of time as it will be 3 years out of date !!!
    No matt, it will be a picture of the nation in 2011 which in 100 years time will be very interesting. It's not a government thing but something that has been done for a very long time

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    There are 100 enforcement officers who will interview you under caution and several thousand to just knock on doors in the first place.

It's unbelievable though the fine amount if you don't fill it in.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    No matt, it will be a picture of the nation in 2011 which in 100 years time will be very interesting. It's not a government thing but something that has been done for a very long time
    Well being a loony leftie ;-) I would like to think I had a choice in regards to filling it in...... If there was a box for just filling out your name and then an option of I want to fill it in or not I feel it would be better for people like me. Being told by a government that if I don't fill it in I may be fined I find quite disgusting especially as I won't be able to have access to the data but they and other departments will. The government tried very hard to block info on their expenses etc as they know what would happen but they feel it's ok to push forward possible fines and prison for not filling in one of their forms. Double standards !! Aaaagggghhh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    There are 100 enforcement officers who will interview you under caution and several thousand to just knock on doors in the first place.

It's unbelievable though the fine amount if you don't fill it in.

Ben
    Will they have the power of arrest and the power to go into your premises ? [ Warrent etc ] all over a census form ? If that's the case then this country is going mad. Mad I tell you !!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will they have the power of arrest and the power to go into your premises ? [ Warrent etc ] all over a census form ? If that's the case then this country is going mad. Mad I tell you !!!
    Most likely not. However, they'll just summons you to court if you don't talk to them.

Thank Post
    Not meaning to be too argumentative but what do you gain by not filling it in? There's the obvious risk of prosecution on the downside but what upside is there for you by not doing it?

Yes all the information is probably out there, so what's the downside to filling it in?

Just think of all the future episodes of "Who do you think you are" you are causing problems for by not completing it .

8. Thanks to Stuart_C from:

mattx (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    I can't help wondering what some of our foreign compatriots are making of this debate. Many of them are forced to vote (e.g. Australia) never mind fill in the census.

It's not even like this is anything new. It's been compulsary since it was introduced on a household basis in 1841!

Thank Post
    To be honest the more serious question is "why is question 17 intentionally left blank"?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    question 17 was for the welsh only, and was written in welsh, hence why it was left blank.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    question 17 was for the welsh only, and was written in welsh, hence why it was left blank.
    Well that's dull conspiracy based answers are much more amusig

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Most likely not. However, they'll just summons you to court if you don't talk to them.
    Will be interesting - they pop over or you are asked to appear at a court and you say, well I posted it / filled it in on-line - not my fault it got lost / misplaced / stolen / computer crashed etc. Must be very hard to prove.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My wife's Scottish and she ticked the box that she speaks English 'very well'...........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    My wife's Scottish and she ticked the box that she speaks English 'very well'...........
    My children all ticked that one as well!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Picture of the nation ? It takes 3 years to sort though it all so even that is a waste of time as it will be 3 years out of date by the time they have it all. How can you base funding on childcare on data that's 3 years old ? That's daft !!
    That was just a really basic example to prove my point that the census isn't just the government hoarding your data for a giant conspiracy. And as for 3 years, we all know the government moves slowly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast