+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, I'm qualified to work on Mac! :D in General; A senior staff member came up to me yesterday afternoon and asked me to take a look at their personal ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts

I'm qualified to work on Mac! :D

A senior staff member came up to me yesterday afternoon and asked me to take a look at their personal Macbook pro because the bluetooth mouse "hadn't worked since half term"

Other than peering at my sister's Macbook air a couple of years ago, I've never touched a Mac in my life.

I opened the Macbook which was already powered on "I never turn it off"
    I found the bluetooth settings and they failed to switch on.
    I puzzled for a while (OK about 20 seconds)
    I powered it off and turned it back on again.
    Fixed!

Glad to see some things are the same as in the microsoft world!

Have to say, I hated the touchpad on that thing though. Horrible to use.

Thank Post
    Congrats!

I hate the things. I owned a MacBook for two years and it just frustrated me so I sold it in the end!
    Last edited by bodminman; 26th March 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I myself have a macbook pro, i love the touchpad. I never get it to work the same in Windows. When in Windows it really does annoy me so the mouse comes out.

Thank Post
    Same, I don't like the touchpads at all. Gotta beat the Mighty Mouse, but that's not hard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see why some people like the touchpads, having used a few some of them can be reasonable with responce and the whole two finger scroll/right click can be appealing.

Personally I don't like them for several usage reasons, I hate the texture of the touchpads and have used much (to me) nicer ones, I also hate the lack of real buttons and reference points on them. With them all flush to everything for style you can easily run off the edge and wonder why it is not responding, the lack of a physical click is also a pain when you are not looking at it. These things really irritate me when using them and those same ideas annoy me when implemented in other laptops like the hp envy range. It has the whole two finger scroll thing but it is not intuitive and I have had to tell several users who were going nuts over the lack of side scroll about it. The two finger implementation there is also a bit more hit and miss than the Apple variant probably because the trackpad is smaller in comparison to the vast featureless expanse of an Apple one.

All in all Apple hardware is not really different from PC hardware and the OS is just pretteyfied linux, sure it is based on BeOS but most of the core features are scraped right from the various linux repositories and appleified.

This is actually a good thing for technical people as despite what Apple would have people beleive most of the generic skillset is transferable from Mac to PC and back again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    All in all Apple hardware is not really different from PC hardware and the OS is just pretteyfied linux, sure it is based on BeOS but most of the core features are scraped right from the various linux repositories and appleified.
    It is neither prettified Linux, or based on BeOS. It is based on NeXTStep, which itself was derived from BSD. It has additional aspects incorporated from NetBSD and FreeBSD during its development, but it is nothing to do with Linux.

It makes use of some of GNU, but that isn't Linux - they work on any Posix compliant OS.

However, all of that is irrelevant as the end remains the same - OS X is a very user friendly OS. It simplifies so many things that Windows and Linux don't have right. (look at application installation for example. On a mac, you get a dmg image and then drag and drop the application onto your machine. All done. On windows, you have millions of different installer types. On linux, you have repo's, from source compilation etc... And on top of that, to remove that software - Mac, drag to trash. Done. Windows, run uninstall script, which may or may not have become corrupted. Linux, if from repo, use the repo manager, else if source, figure it out yourself most of the time...

People may not like the price, but Apple definitely got OS X right.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was composing a reply about OS X but Localzuk put it better than I did.

I have to ask if you've actually used the touchpad on a modern Macbook before SYNACK? The comments about it that you've made certainly apply to some really nasty PC laptops I've used recently but not Macbooks.

I hate the texture of the touchpads and have used much (to me) nicer ones, I also hate the lack of real buttons and reference points on them. With them all flush to everything for style you can easily run off the edge and wonder why it is not responding, the lack of a physical click is also a pain when you are not looking at it
    First of all, the Mac's trackpad is not flush and is clearly delineated from the rest of the notebook's casing. The texture of the touchpad is very different to the aluminium casing around it. Also, the entire touchpad is a button! You have to press relatively hard on it for a click to register as "Click to tap" is disabled in OS X by default. Finally, it will be considerably more hard wearing than the average touchpad too as the surface is textured glass rather than plastic. I've seen touchpads which are three years old which are almost completely worn. I've also seen unibody Macs which are roughly the same age (Six months younger I guess) where the pads are like new despite being more heavily used. The touchpad is excellent and once you start using the multitouch gestures, they make a lot of sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yea, I knew that BeOS was wrong when I reread the post but as you say, in the end it does not matter. It does have a lot of open source stuff kicking around just under the surface though although this is changing thanks to GPLv3. The latest versions can no longer use samba as they are effectivly reselling everyone elses work for a profit. They have had to rewrite a bunch of custom code to allow their OS to talk with Windows file shares.

Apple did get many things right with OSX but Windows got a lot right with Windows 7 and Ubuntu got plenty right with the latest version of their OS. There is not perfect OS and they all have their benifits and their problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Norphy - yes I have used several macbooks but only for shorter periods of time while I have fixed up inane screw ups. I have not used the very latest unibody one but have used the ones before. The flush comment was to do with how I remembered one of those white plastic ones and when they are greased up a bit by an unwashed user the texture is very similar when you just reach down and start moving your finger about.

You may like the textured glass but I hate it, it feels filthy and unclean to me, You may notice that in my original post I said that these were my impressions and I could see that other people could like it. I hope I am still entitled to my own opinion?

It may be a harder wearing design than some but I personally don't like it at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yea, I knew that BeOS was wrong when I reread the post but as you say, in the end it does not matter. It does have a lot of open source stuff kicking around just under the surface though although this is changing thanks to GPLv3. The latest versions can no longer use samba as they are effectivly reselling everyone elses work for a profit. They have had to rewrite a bunch of custom code to allow their OS to talk with Windows file shares.

Apple did get many things right with OSX but Windows got a lot right with Windows 7 and Ubuntu got plenty right with the latest version of their OS. There is not perfect OS and they all have their benifits and their problems.
    I don't see why they'd have to rewrite anything - the underlying OS is covered under an open source license (darwin), and this includes stuff like samba. If samba has switched to glpv3 then sure they may have difficulties using new versions of it, but the old versions are still covered by the old license version. So, rewriting is unnecessary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't see why they'd have to rewrite anything - the underlying OS is covered under an open source license (darwin), and this includes stuff like samba. If samba has switched to glpv3 then sure they may have difficulties using new versions of it, but the old versions are still covered by the old license version. So, rewriting is unnecessary.
    I'm just repeating what I read on slashdot, perhaps they are choosing to fork the older version of Samba to provide their once a quarter security update. I don't know or care but I do know that whatever they are doing puts using the newer GPL3 licensed code from any other projects outside their reach with their current implementation. The chunk that I read indicated that they were pulling it from 10.7:
    Apple Remove Samba From OS X 10.7 Because of GPLv3 - Slashdot
    OS X 10.7 Apple Replacing Samba GPL3 :: OSDir.com :: Open Source, Linux News & Software

Frankly I find it quite refreshing that they are no longer able to peddle someone elses effort as their own.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 27th March 2011 at 02:08 PM.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just repeating what I read on slashdot, perhaps they are choosing to fork the older version of Samba to provide their once a quarter security update. I don't know or care but I do know that whatever they are doing puts using the newer GPL3 licensed code from any other projects outside their reach with their current implementation. The chunk that I read indicated that they were pulling it from 10.7:
    Apple Remove Samba From OS X 10.7 Because of GPLv3 - Slashdot
    OS X 10.7 Apple Replacing Samba GPL3 :: OSDir.com :: Open Source, Linux News & Software

Frankly I find it quite refreshing that they are no longer able to peddle someone elses effort as their own.
    *sigh* GPLv3 doesn't stop Apple doing anything they've been doing with existing code. Apple is one of the few companies that has actually released source code for any open source software they've been using. They used to provide code to GCC, until they started working with LVV. Webkit? A massive amount of work has been done by Apple on that project. CUPS. LLVM.

What they now have issue with will be not being able to provide the latest versions on their iOS devices due to signing keys. So, instead of developing tools to work on those phones and then maintaining another set for OS X, they're combining their efforts and making a single unified codebase. Any sensible developer would do the same.

So, they have certainly not been peddling someone else's effort as their own. Instead, the new GPLv3 stuff causes them (and a large number of other software companies) massive issues with their patent portfolios, and they can't go giving away access to them without their directors and shareholders agreeing really!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *roll* - obviously not it just prevents them from using future versions hence the bit about forking or rewriting as above.

It is good that they do contribute back their code changes but it is not like they go out of their way to admit that a lot of their sucessful features are down to chunks of code at least initially created by others.

I'm not suggesting that the way they are going is not the best for them avoiding the pitfalls of GPL3 that would affect them.

Patents are a different evil which I am sure will cause more damage than anyone expects with their weird enforcements and all of the large vendors are guilty of such stuff as necessitated by US law.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I refer the honourable group to the wonderful world of Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie ... I think they summed it all up.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

localzuk (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Can I refer the honourable group to the wonderful world of Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie ... I think they summed it all up.
    Ah, I remember them from uni. Brilliant group.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread