+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Budget in General; Originally Posted by HallX I refer you back to my first comment regarding alcohol. You can't move in A&E in ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    I refer you back to my first comment regarding alcohol. You can't move in A&E in the early hours for drunks.
    I believe there are also a shortage of beds due to cancer patients - a large amount of which will be Lung related
    Anyway.. I think we need somebody to put a great big shiny padlock on this thread now...

Why is there never a mod or admin around when you want one.. they're like buses...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    For facilitating the need for public transport
    I walk most of the time. :P I take a bus about once a month, and a train about twice a year...

Quote Originally Posted by HallX View Post
    I refer you back to my first comment regarding alcohol. You can't move in A&E in the early hours for drunks.
    I refer you to my later response...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why is there never a mod or admin around when you want one.. they're like buses...
    What, big and puffing smoke? :S lol

Thank Post
    That and theres never one around when you want one, and then about half a dozen show up at once...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Seems like a fairly good budget to me, I don't see what you're all complaining about. What else could they do, whilst also continuing to reduce the deficit?

Extra money for pothole repairs - good
    Money for first time buyers - good
    Increased personal allowance - good
    No new increases on alcohol duty - good
    Increases on cigarette duty - good
    Investigating merging tax and NI to simplify things - good
    Reduced petrol costs, and introduction of a 'stabiliser' - good
    Tax relief for the gaming industry to aid R&D - good

All during a time when financially, the country has major issues. So, we should be pleased that lot was possible!!
    Spoken like a true tory.

We will temporarily forget about inflation thats about to skyrocket. And all the job cuts because of public spending tory cuts.
    The damage the Tories will cause will be spread over the years and the likes of me and you wont benefit at all...... just ask anyone whos a student atm.

Thank Post
    Spoken like a true Labourite...
    Who was it that thought that the best way to get out of a recession to to spend, spend, spend even though the country had no money to spend...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Spoken like a true tory.

We will temporarily forget about inflation thats about to skyrocket. And all the job cuts because of public spending tory cuts.
    The damage the Tories will cause will be spread over the years and the likes of me and you wont benefit at all...... just ask anyone whos a student atm.
    Except, i'm not a Tory. I'm closest to Lib Dem really...

Thank Post
    Except, i'm not a Tory. I'm closest to Lib Dem really...
    Say no more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Say no more.
    I don't actually subscribe to the party system - I'm a realist. I vote with whoever has the best policies. Not to mention, as you've now inferred that you dislike both Tories and Lib Dems, that'd make you what, a Labour supporter? Supporting the party which led us on an illegal war, gave us a massive deficit by spending wildly, were complicit in torture, and a long list of other such things?

Why?

Thank Post
    Spoken like a true Labourite...
    Who was it that thought that the best way to get out of a recession to to spend, spend, spend even though the country had no money to spend...
    +1 to that. What was Brown's solution - reduce VAT to 15% so we'd spend our way out of it?

I hope all those who did are happy with their huge tellies or other consumer tat that they bought and remember this when they can't pay their bills.

Not to mention failed IT project after failed IT project, BSF spending, money wasted on ID cards, the huge costs in the changes to the anti-terror laws.

As for this petrol price cut, isn't it funny how when 1p is cut people moan that "its nothing, it won't make a difference", yet when 1p is added to fuel its "an outrage".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 999 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    As for this petrol price cut, isn't it funny how when 1p is cut people moan that "its nothing, it won't make a difference", yet when 1p is added to fuel its "an outrage".
    Possibly because even if this happens every budget, that's 1p off the price a year. Whereas each week I've topped up since the middle of last month, it's gone up another penny. So it won't make a difference because within a week, it'll be counteracted by another oil rise.

It was just an attempt to garner some good will and headlines and distract from other, more important points.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Possibly because even if this happens every budget, that's 1p off the price a year. Whereas each week I've topped up since the middle of last month, it's gone up another penny. So it won't make a difference because within a week, it'll be counteracted by another oil rise.

It was just an attempt to garner some good will and headlines and distract from other, more important points.
    What are those points?

Thank Post
    I don't actually subscribe to the party system - I'm a realist. I vote with whoever has the best policies. Not to mention, as you've now inferred that you dislike both Tories and Lib Dems, that'd make you what, a Labour supporter? Supporting the party which led us on an illegal war, gave us a massive deficit by spending wildly, were complicit in torture, and a long list of other such things?

Why?
    "I don't actually subscribe to the party system - I'm a realist." (!)
    "I vote with whoever has the best policies" For whom? you , me or the country?
    "Supporting the party which led us on an illegal war" Rubbish ... Its no different to libya atm ... when that turns sour it will be blamed on the cod-dems for bombing them.
    "gave us a massive deficit by spending wildly" Banks or industry. Tories choose banks in the 80's and were still paying for that mistake.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post

If you accept that oil prices aren't ever going to come down (peak oil anybody?) then the fair fuel stabiliser (appropriate acronym I must say) is pointless - all it will ever do is reduce the tax take. If anything, one could argue for tax rises to get us used to future rises (when there might then be leeway to reduce the tax).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "I don't actually subscribe to the party system - I'm a realist." (!)
    "I vote with whoever has the best policies" For whom? you , me or the country?
    "Supporting the party which led us on an illegal war" Rubbish ... Its no different to libya atm ... when that turns sour it will be blamed on the cod-dems for bombing them.
    "gave us a massive deficit by spending wildly" Banks or industry. Tories choose banks in the 80's and were still paying for that mistake.
    Huh? Libya is in no way, shape, or form the same as Iraq. Iraq had no UN mandate. The government's legal advisers said it would be legally questionable, but were slapped down and told to shut up. Libya has a UN mandate, and is not an invasion. The targets are very specific and it isn't a war.

Best policies for the country as a whole in my view.

You are trying to make it sound like Labour didn't spend 12 years building up a massive deficit, and putting us massively in debt! Their economic policies were a disaster and that is what has led us into our current situation. Why, if it is due to the Tories in the 80s, did Labour do NOTHING about it in their time in power?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast